'The keeper parries it'

17 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Yeah and you're taught to land a corner on the penalty spot but how many times do corner takers manage that?

It's easy to say what he should have done, I'm sure Dawson didn't WANT to just drop it on a plate for Toney, but you can't always control where it goes.  Christ if no keeper ever couldn't control every shot there would be no goals ever!

The ball was struck from 25 yards out. It should have been a routine save. There’s no justification for what happened other than it was a goalkeeping error.

I’m sure Dawson didn’t want to make the mistake, your right but, it’s not his first is it? The lad isn’t up to Championship standard. Not his fault and, it’s not through a lack of effort. He clearly cares.

The fact opposition teams are targeting him from distance says it all.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Yeah and you're taught to land a corner on the penalty spot but how many times do corner takers manage that?

It's easy to say what he should have done, I'm sure Dawson didn't WANT to just drop it on a plate for Toney, but you can't always control where it goes.  Christ if no keeper ever couldn't control every shot there would be no goals ever!

Bit of a silly argument. Is there a new rule where every time you fail to hit the penalty spot from a corner, the opposition are awarded a goal?

If you’d have said, strikers are paid to score goals how many have ours scored, you’d have a fair argument.

We didn’t score enough goals last year so we’ve brought new players to the club. Why haven’t we replaced our poor goalkeepers?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ian said:

And yet for all that we concede less goals than most of the league despite a makeshift defence in front of him

Hows that work then?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Pointing our a flaw in the goalie’s technique does NOT equate to slagging off the whole defence. 

If he didn’t keep making this mistake we’d have an even better record wouldn’t we. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
46 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Don’t bother defending him. He does it every time!!

Guest Theboylangers

We will continue to concede what I would call avoidable goals whilst Dawson or Wildsmith are in the net.

Neither are good enough for this level. If I had to make a choice, I would choose Wildsmith. 

In reality we should have signed a new keeper but Monk is clearly happy with what we've got so it is what it is for now. 

How often do you see a shot from 25 yards result in the goalkeeper making a save with his forearm? 

That in itself is the error. You get your hands on it because, it gives you control. At this level, it’s not good enough to simply get there. You have to be in control of the situation. 

Other teams are targeting this as it’s a fundamental flaw in our Goalkeepers technique. Yet we still have people trying to make excuses. I don’t blame Dawson, he can’t only be as good as his skill set allows, I blame Monk. The keepers were an issue last season and, it’s not been addressed.

• Like 5

Week after week goal keepers costing multi million pounds make errors that cost goals...none more so that the one currently seen as England’s number 1 and top of the league 

Ours makes a mistake and it’s the end of the world, need a new keeper blah blah blah

Keepers make mistake....in the eyes of this board ours more than most....but that because we really only watch ours 90 minutes a week

Unrealistic expectations

Edited by Ian
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Week after week goal keepers costing multi million pounds make errors that cost goals...none more so that the one currently seen as England’s number 1 and top of the league 

Ours makes a mistake and it’s the end of the world, need a new keeper blah blah blah

Keepers make mistake....in the eyes of this board ours more than most....but that because we really only watch ours 90 minutes a week

Unrealistic expectations

Unrealistic comparisons more like. 

I’d wager Dawson is in the lower echelons of ability and performances vs his Championship peers

Just now, McRightSide said:

Unrealistic comparisons more like. 

I’d wager Dawson is in the lower echelons of ability and performances vs his Championship peers

Why is it unrealistic?.....it would be if I was comparing with national league keepers but I’m not

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

Outs makes a mistake and it’s the end of the world, need a new keeper blah blah blah

Unrealistic expectations

The issue isn’t about goalkeepers making mistakes. 

it’s managers having the inability to see the errors and, do something about it. Dawson has made numerous errors leading to goals in the last 12 months. It’s not 1 or 2 isolated incidents, it’s every other week.

If someone isn’t up to it, they’re simply not up to it. 

Will Pickford be England’s number 1 of his form continues? Doubtful.

Is Kepa Chelsea’s number 1? Nope.

How Joe Hart getting on?

Kiko Casilla seems to be doing well at Leeds.

How’s Neil Etheridge doing at Cardiff?

Simon Mingolet at Liverpool?

Lorus Karius at Liverpool?

If a player isn’t good enough, you replace them with someone who’s better. It doesn’t mean they won’t make a mistake. It means they make LESS mistakes. Nothing unrealistic about that. It’s what every club in the country does every transfer window.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

The issue isn’t about goalkeepers making mistakes. 

it’s managers having the inability to see the errors and, do something about it. Dawson has made numerous errors leading to goals in the last 12 months. It’s not 1 or 2 isolated incidents, it’s every other week.

If someone isn’t up to it, they’re simply not up to it. 

Will Pickford be England’s number 1 of his form continues? Doubtful.

Is Kepa Chelsea’s number 1? Nope.

How Joe Hart getting on?

Kiko Casilla seems to be doing well at Leeds.

How’s Neil Etheridge doing at Cardiff?

Simon Mingolet at Liverpool?

Lorus Karius at Liverpool?

If a player isn’t good enough, you replace them with someone who’s better. It doesn’t mean they won’t make a mistake. It means they make LESS mistakes. Nothing unrealistic about that. It’s what every club in the country does every transfer window.

Or...you give them a 5 year contract

The Wednesday way