'The keeper parries it'

For those that are defending Dawson against what they consider to be excessive criticism, fine, but come on, even if more times than not a shot parried back into play doesn't result in a goal, still, I fail to see how parrying the ball centrally can't be seen as being a clear and obvious error. And not an error just because it resulted in a goal, but generally speaking, it's coached into keepers that this is an error, and that you parry to the side, and in any case out of danger. It's all part of a keeper's situational awareness.

Besides, that an opposition striker highlights this as an idiosyncratic trait of Dawson's play should tell you all you need to know. It's really not good at all.

• Like 4

Dawson and us seem to be the exception to playing it out of the penalty area game. I don't like it as the defenders and goalie often get caught out and concede a goal.. 

BUT every ball from Dawson gets hoofed down field in the hope that Nuhiu is still there to hold it up.. He could try throwing to one of our players who should make themselves available wide near the halfway line. At least that will give us possession to build on. 

19 minutes ago, cowl said:

For those that are defending Dawson against what they consider to be excessive criticism, fine, but come on, even if more times than not a shot parried back into play doesn't result in a goal, still, I fail to see how parrying the ball centrally can't be seen as being a clear and obvious error. And not an error just because it resulted in a goal, but generally speaking, it's coached into keepers that this is an error, and that you parry to the side, and in any case out of danger. It's all part of a keeper's situational awareness.

Besides, that an opposition striker highlights this as an idiosyncratic trait of Dawson's play should tell you all you need to know. It's really not good at all.

You’ve gone to all that trouble of writing that and yet he didn’t parry it anywhere!

The opposition will always look for weaknesses and look to target them. When the opposition have picked out your goalkeeper as an obvious weak link then you’ve got a problem.

Even us as fans can see that our current first choice is a weak link. You don’t concede the amount of goals he’s done in the last 2 seasons if you’re any good?

I said at the start of the season Monk’s bizarre call to go with Dawson and Wildsmith will cost us any chance we may have of stopping up and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

The opposition will always look for weaknesses and look to target them. When the opposition have picked out your goalkeeper as an obvious weak link then you’ve got a problem.

Even us as fans can see that our current first choice is a weak link. You don’t concede the amount of goals he’s done in the last 2 seasons if you’re any good?

I said at the start of the season Monk’s bizarre call to go with Dawson and Wildsmith will cost us any chance we may have of stopping up and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind?

Agreed - Neither of them are ready and might not ever be to championship standard 

It’s gonna cost us big time

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Agreed - Neither of them are ready and might not ever be to championship standard 

It’s gonna cost us big time

Wildsmith looked a decent prospect during CC’s first season here. I know some on here will disagree but I thought the season that CC left when Wildsmith had to play more regularly due to an injury to a Westwood, he stood up to the task well and IMO was one of our better players that season.

Towards the end of the season JL decided to have a look at Dawson and then he decided to make him first choice the following season.

IMO that decision did for both of them. Dawson wasn’t anywhere near ready to be thrown in at the deep end regularly and it was no surprise that the first thing Bullen did was take Dawson out of the spotlight once JL was sacked.

I think being perhaps wrongly overlooked and also picking up

a serious knee injury did for Wildsmith. As he’s not looked the same keeper as he did when he first come on the scene?

Wildsmith didn’t cover himself in glory post lockdown and it wasn’t a surprise to me that Dawson got the nod this season due to the ridiculous 4 year contract he got earlier in the year. Monk has gone with someone who arguably will be here long term?

Bottom line is when fans of other clubs in the region speak to me they’ll say the same things about Dawson. That he’s cr@p and how on earth is he first choice and I’ll say I honestly don’t know because they’re right?

So why is Monk persevering with him, why is he persevering with Odubajo, with Pelupessy, with Van Aken, Reach, Rhodes etc.?

I keep being told we’re a new team? We can’t be otherwise we wouldn’t be having the same old discussions about the same players?

8 points from 18 is a fair start given the fixtures we’ve had. But the home form is a concern now. It’s not a blip, we’ve struggled to pick up points and score goals for a year now. It’s not the fans fault, we’ve not been there the last 8 games and we’ve won none. So who’s fault is it then? Because if someone doesn’t work out the problems and sort them quickly, we’re done for?

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

Wildsmith looked a decent prospect during CC’s first season here. I know some on here will disagree but I thought the season that CC left when Wildsmith had to play more regularly due to an injury to a Westwood, he stood up to the task well and IMO was one of our better players that season.

Towards the end of the season JL decided to have a look at Dawson and then he decided to make him first choice the following season.

IMO that decision did for both of them. Dawson wasn’t anywhere near ready to be thrown in at the deep end regularly and it was no surprise that the first thing Bullen did was take Dawson out of the spotlight once JL was sacked.

I think being perhaps wrongly overlooked and also picking up

a serious knee injury did for Wildsmith. As he’s not looked the same keeper as he did when he first come on the scene?

Wildsmith didn’t cover himself in glory post lockdown and it wasn’t a surprise to me that Dawson got the nod this season due to the ridiculous 4 year contract he got earlier in the year. Monk has gone with someone who arguably will be here long term?

Bottom line is when fans of other clubs in the region speak to me they’ll say the same things about Dawson. That he’s cr@p and how on earth is he first choice and I’ll say I honestly don’t know because they’re right?

So why is Monk persevering with him, why is he persevering with Odubajo, with Pelupessy, with Van Aken, Reach, Rhodes etc.?

I keep being told we’re a new team? We can’t be otherwise we wouldn’t be having the same old discussions about the same players?

8 points from 18 is a fair start given the fixtures we’ve had. But the home form is a concern now. It’s not a blip, we’ve struggled to pick up points and score goals for a year now. It’s not the fans fault, we’ve not been there the last 8 games and we’ve won none. So who’s fault is it then? Because if someone doesn’t work out the problems and sort them quickly, we’re done for?

Most of us on here know exactly who is to blame for current results and performances. I just don’t know how long this circus is going to go on for.

We won Brentford at home last season with all the bad eggs in the team. It just makes you wonder what goes on in Garry Monks head.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but the defense of Dawson for that parry is unbelievable. He has to be pushing it to the side, not back in to the middle. Poor keeping. It's not like he even saw it late from how he started to position himself, he fully expected the shot from the looks of the replays. It would be good to see a view from behind the goal to see his viewpoint

Poor by Bannan too by playing for offside but not playing to the whistle, and whoever it was at the RB at the time (Windass I think?) for not staying alert watching the line thus keeping him on

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Don’t get snippy because you’re wrong

I'm not though. 25 is past 'development', being named the club's #1 for over 2 seasons is past 'development'. So is starting over 60 games at Championship level.

10 hours ago, rickygoo said:

You’ll be telling me next Nadal has no idea where he’s hitting a service return and when Ben Stokes cracks a fast ball to the boundary it’s pot luck. 

Yeah because Nadal never faults and Ben Stokes never finds the fielder do they...

Just not bothered...

Guest wilyfox

It was a dumbass parry. If you can’t hold it, push it wide. Christ, they teach you that in school and he’s a professional.

Mo marking Toney was another dumbass mistake. 

59 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Erm not many, mainly because we didn’t have any shots.

exactly....our main problem is at the other end of the pitch

We had 3 shots on target last night.....1 went in and the keeper did more or less the same with Reach's shot that Dawson did with the shot that lead to their goal...the difference was the anticipation of the relative defenders / forwards...or luck

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

It was a dumbass parry. If you can’t hold it, push it wide. Christ, they teach you that in school and he’s a professional.

Mo marking Toney was another dumbass mistake. 

ffs sake, at the risk of repeating myself, watch the replay...he didn't parry it...it wasn't a conscious decision.....he made a reaction save with the inside of his lower arm...the critisism if any is that he misjudged the shot (in the 0.1 millisecond he has to make the decision) and the ball hits his lower arm rather than his hand...its a minor distance of error, one that is made by outfield players 10 fold+ over and over again in a game but their margin for error is so much bigger and is why on any given game day there are loads of examples of goals been scored by so called keeper errors......5 games last night, there's at least 4 goals you could put in the "keeper error" category....especially if your agenda was to highlight such errors

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Ian said:

ffs sake, at the risk of repeating myself, watch the replay...he didn't parry it...it wasn't a conscious decision.....he made a reaction save with the inside of his lower arm...the critisism if any is that he misjudged the shot (in the 0.1 millisecond he has to make the decision) and the ball hits his lower arm rather than his hand...its a minor distance of error, on that is made by outfield players 10 fold+ over and over again in a game but their margin for error is so much bigger and is why on any given game day there are loads of examples of goals been scored by so called keeper errors......5 games last night, there's at least 4 goals you could put in the "keeper error" category....especially if your agenda was to highlight such errors

There’s no agenda, it was a crap save. He got a strong arm behind it, enough contact to get rid. He put it the one place he shouldn’t. 

10 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

There’s no agenda, it was a crap save. He got a strong arm behind it, enough contact to get rid. He put it the one place he shouldn’t. 

He didn't put it anywhere......he stopped it with his arm and it went where it went....any one who thinks he put it there on purpose is a sandwich short