Champions League 20-21 Thread

bradowl

16 minutes ago, scram said:

It's an appaling loss for Utd really

One of the world's elite clubs - maybe THE elite club - beaten by a middling Spanish team 

For them it's been a bit of a better season but the problem now is extistential

Do they stick with Ole who hasn't done a bad job but it's clear they're losing ground to both City and Liverpool (despite this season's league position)

Or do they try to kick on from here

This is starting to get the hallmark of Wenger's latter years at Arsenal - where just being in the top 4 was good enough 

But that lack of real challenge at the sharp end isn't that attractive for the best players

I think they need a new manager and probably half a dozen top players - too much PL mediocrity in that team

First person out should be Ole. 4 semis and 1 final defeat I believe. Have never thought he exudes confidence, or been convinced by him or his interviews. He seems awfully relaxed for a guy who hasn’t achieved anything, maybe it’s the ex player thing 

Edited by FreshOwl

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

First person out should be Ole. 4 semis and 1 final defeat I believe. Have never thought he exudes confidence, or been convinced by him or his interviews. He seems awfully relaxed for a guy who hasn’t achieved anything, maybe it’s the ex player thing 

Tbh i thought his tactical decisions were pretty poor 

For the life of me couldn't understand taking off Greenwood yet leaving Rashford on - then giving James just a few minutes to make a difference

But the UItd subs bench said it all for me - so poor for such a giant of a club

Just now, scram said:

For the life of me couldn't understand taking off Greenwood yet leaving Rashford on - then giving James just a few minutes to make a difference

James should have been on 30 mins earlier for Rashford who looked shot. No idea if he’s got a recurring injury but they should have hauled him off, or better yet not played him. 

But yeah complete lack of conviction up top and even in midfield, with Bruno & Pogba completely ineffective for such alleged big time players. 

Pogba 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Duncan Castle is a Jose Mourinho spiv.

It’s also a bit absurd. Several of those “attempts” would have been league, league cup and FA cup with Cardiff City ffs. 

That said, I do think Ole is out of his depth. But it’s the useless, sponging owners who are the problem 

1 hour ago, scram said:

It's an appaling loss for Utd really

One of the world's elite clubs - maybe THE elite club - beaten by a middling Spanish team 

For them it's been a bit of a better season but the problem now is extistential

Do they stick with Ole who hasn't done a bad job but it's clear they're losing ground to both City and Liverpool (despite this season's league position)

Or do they try to kick on from here

This is starting to get the hallmark of Wenger's latter years at Arsenal - where just being in the top 4 was good enough 

But that lack of real challenge at the sharp end isn't that attractive for the best players

I think they need a new manager and probably half a dozen top players - too much PL mediocrity in that team

They have no leaders for me, that bench tonight was a joke, and Ole didn't use his subs till half way through the first period which again says it all.

They need to sign Kane along with about 5 other key players to have any chance to.win anything, the final tonight shows how far off they are when even up against average players but an organised manager ...fair play to Villareal.

53 minutes ago, scram said:

Emry won the tactical battle for me, totally nullified both Greenwood and Fernández, Rashford was awful tonight though I would've subbed him at half time, there were others too Pogba was another culprit.

Utd need a better GK than either DDG or Henderson

I said it before and not just on an emotional level but paying what it takes to get Schmeichal would be a good investment - not just an excellent keeper but a big character that can fill that goal. DDG has been a top keeper but has lost his top level sheen

If they are seriously gonna rely on Henderson then i think they have gone at least a couple of seasons too early

7 hours ago, scram said:

Yes Rashford was poor, or as my Man Utd supporting sister now wants to call him, Marcus Trashford. 

Wonder if it’s another case of British football burnout.  

• Like 1

Rashford offered little. Bit overrated imo.

Think he flatters to deceive a bit tbh.

Plays well in moments, but rarely takes a game by the scruff of the neck and dominates.

They were all round flat last night. Still have an issue with breaking teams down who set up to defend and don't leave themselves vulnerable on the counter.

It’s why I don’t think Rashford is top tier. He doesn’t know how to breakdown teams who set up to defend.

We will suffer the same fate if we start him in the Euros. It has to be grealish and foden, but Southgate will go with his favourites 

• Like 1

Agree. The cockiness from these 3 last night was embarrassing 

Part of why I hate United. Their general entitlement is through the roof. Still bark on about the team they used to be 20 years ago. No one gives AF anymore, it’s not relevant. You’re a shadow of that 

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Agree. The cockiness from these 3 last night was embarrassing 

Part of why I hate United. Their general entitlement is through the roof. Still bark on about the team they used to be 20 years ago. No one gives AF anymore, it’s not relevant. You’re a shadow of that 

20 years? lolThey were champions of England less than 10 years ago, and regularly reaching the latter stages of the ECL. 

Whilst I agree that no opponent should be belittled, Man Utd were up against a La Liga also ran with an infinitely better team. Last night was a dismal failure from them. 

15 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

20 years? lolThey were champions of England less than 10 years ago, and regularly reaching the latter stages of the ECL. 

Whilst I agree that no opponent should be belittled, Man Utd were up against a La Liga also ran with an infinitely better team. Last night was a dismal failure from them. 

I meant the Fergie times, they still bang on about it like it was yesterday. So in the last 10 years they’ve won 4 trophies, the entitlement is nauseating. Yes they should have beaten a team like Villarreal but the way these pundits etc were going on before the game like it was already sewn up was embarrassing 

10 hours ago, scram said:

I said it before and not just on an emotional level but paying what it takes to get Schmeichal would be a good investment - not just an excellent keeper but a big character that can fill that goal.

He's 34 though, so surely a longer-term approach and developing Henderson would be more beneficial?

Looks like Poch is going back to Spurs. Utd missing a trick there. 

There is this weird thing about English teams and the UEFA cup (Europa).

We treat the thing with such derision and yet then expect our teams to stroll through and win it.

Scholes in particular has been so dismissive of the competition and the calibre of opposition Man U would face.

Perhaps part of the reason the Spanish sides succeed in it so often, is they treat the thing properly?