Champions League 20-21 Thread

bradowl

3 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Agree. 

I'd be using James in the game against Croatia and the knock out games at the Euros. 

Trippier and TAA in the games against Scotland and Czechs. 

Agreed

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Thought Walker was pretty good tonight too tbf

I think Walker is ideal now as the right sided central-half in a back three with a license to go forward. 

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Always has a mistake in him. Got away with one tonight again. With the options we have he'd be the one I leave home personally. 

He made a mistake then recovered. James made a mistake but Mendy covered it. We don’t have any perfect players

• Like 1

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

He made a mistake then recovered. James made a mistake but Mendy covered it. We don’t have any perfect players

Not saying we do, I just think Walker switches off too much in close games, and looking at the potential route in the knock outs for England, I wouldn't fancy him. 

I understand his strengths, but for me I would be taking James, TAA and Trippier as my 3 full back options 

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Likewise. In fact, I think Tuchel didn’t fancy him at first but had to change his mind given Mount’s performances.

Yeh he dropped him when he first came in and quickly realised how good he was. 

Chelsea gotta be contenders next season, imo they need an upgrade on Werner but have most other positions covered 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Not saying we do, I just think Walker switches off too much in close games, and looking at the potential route in the knock outs for England, I wouldn't fancy him. 

I understand his strengths, but for me I would be taking James, TAA and Trippier as my 3 full back options 

Walker instead of Trippier for me but who is no1 because everyone is debating who the 3rd choice right back is as though it matters, who starts? 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh he dropped him when he first came in and quickly realised how good he was. 

Chelsea gotta be contenders next season, imo they need an upgrade on Werner but have most other positions covered 

Werner’s a funny one. Great runs, brilliant out ball.... just a poor finisher. Not sure whether that was the case at Leipzig or just since the move.

• Like 1

Just now, 0wl18 said:

Chelsea are a prolific goal scorer away from being frightening.

They have Liverpool’s press, City’s technical ability and, a vintage Mourinhoesque defence. Versatility personified. 

I think Abraham is top quality but can see he doesn’t fit their style so much. Vardy does everything Werner does but much better

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Walker instead of Trippier for me but who is no1 because everyone is debating who the 3rd choice right back is as though it matters, who starts? 

Personally I'd be going 4-2-3-1 in the games against better nations, with James as the RB. 

I'd look at 4-3-3 against Czech and Scots with TAA starting as RB

James is England’s best right back. Comfortable tactically, TAA gets the plaudits for his ridiculous ability on the ball, phenomenal delivery. Only downside to that is, he’ll never have anyone to deliver the ball to when Harry Kane he dropped into the number 10 position chasing the ball!

7 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

James is England’s best right back. Comfortable tactically, TAA gets the plaudits for his ridiculous ability on the ball, phenomenal delivery. Only downside to that is, he’ll never have anyone to deliver the ball to when Harry Kane he dropped into the number 10 position chasing the ball!

Southgate needs to tell Kane to play the width of the area. With our midfield he shouldn’t need to drop deep.

No sympathy for Pep. Yet again, he overthinks it. No defensive midfielder or conventional striker on the pitch as he wanted to accommodate his midfielders and wingers. Completely unbalanced.

Often, KDB and Foden were both playing as central strikers. It was quite frankly unbelievable. 

Get back to basics and do what you are good at, Pep and stop trying to think you are too clever. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Southgate needs to tell Kane to play the width of the area. With our midfield he shouldn’t need to drop deep.

Agreed. The best movement is often no movement at all.