Michael Palin IS an Owl

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

That's easy then, just put the link up to the record.

All sorted, end of init

I have heard him say it, I have seen him quoted.  

I have no reason to believe he was lying or that the report was a lie, and I haven’t had a memory lapse or have any reason to make it up.

i was disappointed to hear it. 

can I be @rsed to look it up?

No. 

Edited by upperwinngardensowl

Just to put this thread to bed about one of the nicest people on planet earth

Don't you just think he's just a really nice guy who doesn't really have any interest in football (or even Sheffield for that matter) and just doesn't want to upset anyone?

Of all the people to rip to bits Michael Palin?

lol

It's getting silly now amongst Wednesday fans and people in the media

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Have to say I'm somewhere in the seven stages of grief having read this thread...the one certainty I thought I could rely on in these troubled times is that Palin was the figurehead of our club in the wider world, spreading the news of Wednesday around the globe. Turns out it was all founded on a lie, or a half truth at best...and to make things worse he really leans towards the other lot? 😞

Hit a new low as a Wednesday fan now. Who can fill the void? Certainly not Michael 'but I also like Man Yoo' Vaughan, and David Blunkett just leaves us open to obvious ridicule. Sad times.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Have to say I'm somewhere in the seven stages of grief having read this thread...the one certainty I thought I could rely on in these troubled times is that Palin was the figurehead of our club in the wider world, spreading the news of Wednesday around the globe. Turns out it was all founded on a lie, or a half truth at best...and to make things worse he really leans towards the other lot? 😞

Hit a new low as a Wednesday fan now. Who can fill the void? Certainly not Michael 'but I also like Man Yoo' Vaughan, and David Blunkett just leaves us open to obvious ridicule. Sad times.

Roy Hattersley. ☂️

My hero.

107832983_10158575058188134_8278076692961252961_o.thumb.jpg.bfaa6cee90f1a0d60b183257b2a45466.jpg

imageedit_1_3342191341.png.7b12a69e90ae0b7a25d5867142137e39.png

Saturday, January 21st 1989

To the shops, then with Will to Highbury for Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday. It pours with rain. We park about a half-mile from the ground and join the gradually swelling crowd flowing along the terraced streets. The houses are in much better condition than I remember from our previous visits – the dreadful semi-final defeat by Brighton in ’82, and the heart-stopping night we nearly beat Arsenal in the Cup in ’79. Money has moved into every corner of Highbury.

Good seats on the halfway line. Pitch soggy and pools of water in the goal mouths. Wednesday fourth from bottom and Arsenal heading the league, but of course it doesn’t turn out true to form.

Wednesday are lumpen and completely uninspired in attack, but rather solid and consistent in defence – always winning balls in the air. They gradually wear Arsenal down to their level, then midway through the second half audaciously score on the break. Arsenal equalised quite swiftly, but that’s as far as they get.

Sunday, April 21st 1991

With Will sporting his Wednesday scarf, we set out on the road to Wembley for the final of the Rumbelows Football League Cup. Down Oak Village to Gospel Oak Station, Willesden Junction, change to Wembley Central.

Apart from a flurry of autographs at one point and a longish speech of appreciation for 80 Days from one of the senior police officers on duty, we get to our seats without much interference soon after two o’clock.

The Wednesday end is already full and the supporters are putting on an impressive display. ‘We love Carlton Palmer, he smokes marijuana. Da-Da-Da!’ ‘Ron’s Arm-ee!’ ‘Ron’s Arm-ee!’ And ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’.

The game itself is not attractive and Manchester United always more likely to score. But we keep them out, and then quite unbelievably a speculative crack at goal by Sheridan spins off Sealey’s outstretched hands into the net. The Wednesday fans, who have been throwing teddy bears and stuffed toys around the stand and chanting non-stop, deserved this and we are all of us a mighty roar of delight.

The second half is 45 minutes of the most exquisite torture. Seldom are so many people in the same place at the same time enjoying the same emotions – whatever their age or sex or background. We are united in our dreadful anxiety, we shout and sing and chant to exorcise the doubt.

The referee suddenly raises his hands, it’s the end and we can at last release everything. A shock of collective pride, relief and unequivocal joy.

The Manchester United fans don’t stay, but Wednesday’s blue and yellow explosion rolls on and and is still rolling 15 minutes later when Will and I begin our way out.

Man U fans are dead-faced, surly and suddenly scruffy and downtrodden. Wednesday’s supporters, yobs and all, can enjo­­y the victor’s role, for the first time at Wembley for 56 years.

Saturday, May 15th 1993

Set off for Wembley at 12.45 in a BBC car, supplied by Radio Sport, who have also provided me with three £100 tickets for the Arsenal-Wednesday final. All in return for a live appearance on the Cup programme.

Great anticipation and excitement. Rachael hasn’t been to a football match before and I’ve never been to an FA Cup final.

Wembley Stadium boasts enormous ‘SEGA’ spnsorship signs and , like British Airports Authority, seems happy to sell every nut and bolt if there’s a company name that can be slapped on them.

Met by the BBC PA and led, through the dining (sorry, ‘banqueting’) room and right up onto the network of metal struts and tubes that hold up the roof. Pick our way across the underside of the roof frame, narrowly avoding decapitation. I’m quite impressed that anyone gets up here alive.

The sun comes out for the kick-off. Wembley becomes the centre of the whole world, walled in, caught in a time warp singing ‘Abide With Me’ – the ghosts of 69 previous finals around.

Wednesday are poor in the first half and are lucky to be only one behind, but the recovery of confidence they so desperately need comes in the early second half. Hirst goal – then suddenly we start to play. But never incisive enough. Both teams look tired, short of ideas. Nail-biting goes on into extra-time. A draw.

Massive feeling of disappointment, doubtless compounded 80,000 times. To be prepared to give so much, then to be cheated out of the madness, the spontaneous, unfettered joy of victory, leaves an odd numbness.

Fans leaving the stadium are generally quiet, as if they’d seen something they didn’t really want to talk about.

Thursday, May 20th 1993

Arrive at the Savoy just as Nick Hornby, his fiancee and bevy of publishing ladies also appear. It is an extraordinary coincidence that Arsenal, Nick H’s team – the team to which he is so totally, slavishly devoted, the team which caused him to write the book – should be playing Sheffield Wednesday in an FA Cup final replay at the very moment when the announcement of the NCR Award is going on.

Nip out every now and then to keep an eye on the game. Nick H is sat at a small table near the kitchen, with a bottle of wine and the telly. Some of his minders become a real nuisance, endlessly telling me how lucky we are to have him here tonight. As I’d done so much to get his book into the last four, I felt I didn’t need this.

Arsenal go 1-0 up in the first half; Wednesday equalise midway through the second! Hornby looks hot and distracted. 1-1 at full time.

The meal trails on, video presentations have to be gone through, then as extra-time is being played, the judges are at last called up.

My tribute to Fever Pitch goes down well. Much laughter and I feel very relieved. Patrick Mill, the NCR man deputed to run the award, announces Peter Hennessy to be the winner – and Hennessy is lapping up the applause when Mill slips me a piece of paper. Arsenal 2-1.

I think of Rachael out there in the rain, at Wembley for the second time in a week, and I can’t, I’m afraid, enjoy any of Hennessy’s triumph. I didn’t want his book to win, and to see celebration at this time makes me feel oddly as though I’m at the match. A loser amongst winners.

• Thanks 2

Just now, aussieowl87 said:

Michael Palin.

Sorry for the confusion Aussie, I wasn' t referring to Mr Palin  ..

I'd mistakenly posted in the wrong thread about someone else ...

Palin is a Legend and a thoroughly nice chappie ,

It doesn't matter which side he bats for really to me ..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Sorry for the confusion Aussie, I wasn' t referring to Mr Palin  ..

I'd mistakenly posted in the wrong thread about someone else ...

Palin is a Legend and a thoroughly nice chappie ,

It doesn't matter which side he bats for really to me ..

Ah no problem!

And yes, my Grandfather (similar age and such) was of the same opinion. Was able to follow both teams, wanted the city to do well. Etc.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 15:52, @owlstalk said:

Just to put this thread to bed about one of the nicest people on planet earth

Don't you just think he's just a really nice guy who doesn't really have any interest in football (or even Sheffield for that matter) and just doesn't want to upset anyone?

Of all the people to rip to bits Michael Palin?

lol

It's getting silly now amongst Wednesday fans and people in the media

Good try

Yes

No (Golden Gordon)

(No)

YES

Ridiculous

Yes

Edited by Rev Owl