Penney

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

You are aware reach played a whole season on the right aren't you? 

Yes, and this has restricted his ability to cross the ball with the only highlights being when he came inside onto his good foot and scored with those beauties. The real success for Reach in the last season and a half was when he had that brief spell on the left and put in the beautiful crosses when he got behind the fullback. Reach struggles on the right. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Yes, and this has restricted his ability to cross the ball with the only highlights being when he came inside onto his good foot and scored with those beauties. The real success for Reach in the last season and a half was when he had that brief spell on the left and put in the beautiful crosses when he got behind the fullback. Reach struggles on the right. 

I would argue that his best form for us was that season he had on the right when he scored those worldies. 

I guess it's all about opinions. 

He could play there but also play left. 

It's up to Monk to recognise his best position but Hopefully we can both agree he shouldn't be playing as a striker on in the middle. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I would argue that his best form for us was that season he had on the right when he scored those worldies. 

I guess it's all about opinions. 

He could play there but also play left. 

It's up to Monk to recognise his best position but Hopefully we can both agree he shouldn't be playing as a striker on in the middle. 

Absolutely. He is the ultimate square peg in a round hole when he plays there. 

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

You are aware reach played a whole season on the right aren't you? 

Reach has to stop and pull it back into his left when playing on the right giving defences time to set up. 

When on the left,  as in the game away at QPR last season, he did that great cross from the left without breaking his stride for Winnall to score. 

Penneys delivery could be a great asset to have, strikers will thrive on the early delivery into the box. 

That's the problem with Harris, he has ability but he isn't going to score or assist enough himself to justify his selection imo. Strikers will know when he gets it he's very unlikely to put it straight into the box, hence slows the play, runs delayed etc. 

I quite like Harris as a player but I think as a wing back, I'd prefer a consistant early delivery. I'd be surprised if that didn't contribute more goals throughout the season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deano said:

Penneys delivery could be a great asset to have, strikers will thrive on the early delivery into the box. 

That's the problem with Harris, he has ability but he isn't going to score or assist enough himself to justify his selection imo. Strikers will know when he gets it he's very unlikely to put it straight into the box, hence slows the play, runs delayed etc. 

I quite like Harris as a player but I think as a wing back, I'd prefer a consistant early delivery. I'd be surprised if that didn't contribute more goals throughout the season. 

Although I don’t like saying it, Harris is getting worse and worse IMO. At the point now where he gets the ball on the wing and I’m expecting nothing - either him to lose it, or an awful pea roller of a cross with his left foot which doesn’t beat the first defender 

Edited by FreshOwl

2 minutes ago, deano said:

Yeah, against Leicester he just needed to put the ball in.

I'll be disappointed if Penney doesn't start. Anyone could see he took his chance. 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Although I don’t like saying it, Harris is getting worse and worse IMO. At the point now where he gets the ball on the wing and I’m expecting nothing - either him to lose it, or an awful pea roller of a cross which doesn’t beat the first defender 

I don't want to slate him (I know your not) as I'm sure he would say himself he isn't a wing back. But if your a striker you want ball whipped in the box. 

1 minute ago, deano said:

I don't want to slate him (I know your not) as I'm sure he would say himself he isn't a wing back. But if your a striker you want ball whipped in the box. 

You can tell he doesn’t like it at wing back, his face tells that story whenever he’s back on our byline lol 

I’d use him as an impact sub, if Monk is sticking with the 3-5-2

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Must start next week. The loan spell has done him the world of good. I dont think Odubadjo had a bad game but Penney just had that bit more quality when he came on.

Agree. With the number of fixtures we have in quick succession we are going to have to rotate our players. Having Odubajo to step in isn't actually too bad.

I'm just hoping for a season relatively free of injuries.

That's what will kill us.

I'd like to see us start with Odubajo down the right and Penney on the left next week.

Wing backs need to defend as well, but with the points deduction there has to be a much greater emphasis on winning games and with 3-5-2 that means a greater emphasis on what the wing backs are doing in the attacking third. Defensive lapses are something we just have to try to coach out of them, but it's how well they attack by which we should be measuring them.

I think Odubajo and Penney could represent our best options for that, but there's no point getting too attached to particular players for particular positions; whoever players and in whatever positions they've got to be doing the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, shandypants said:

You’re right of course but it was great to see one of our home grown players playing well wasn’t it? Even if it was only for 30 minutes. 

Definitely, but I’m not going to wax lyrical about a player  I’ve seen for 30 mins against Walsall, some of our fans get carried away at times.

1 minute ago, mrbluesky said:

Definitely, but I’m not going to wax lyrical about a player  I’ve seen for 30 mins against Walsall, some of our fans get carried away at times.

true got to agree , needs more game time , however you could see his potential in the 2018 season , remember going to Villa away and he was excellent that day , just think maybe he lost his way a little back then but hopefully a few years on he’s now ready 

Does make me smile a bit, loads of people were writing him off during pre season saying he wasn't good enough. Completely ignoring the huge career move to play in Germany in a very technical division in front a much bigger and hugely hostile and intimidating crowd. Also to play in front of 60k people in a Hamburg derby. Which off the pitch makes the Sheffield derby look like a picnic. I'm really confident for Matt and think he has grown immensely and hopefully will nail a LWB spot because that is where he plays best but I hope if he does have a rough spell that he isn't hounded straight out. 

Edited by TheEnchanter