Penney

3 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Aren't we going overboard after 20 minutes against Walsall? Yes he did well but let him do it for 10 games against Championship opposition before we hail him as the new messiah - for his sake.

Agree he has too do it consistently but.... if he does it consistently there will be admirers and then our position to tie him down is weakened. As a club we must know the quality is there or not with a player... he’s looked in his first spell and again today to have it. Get him tied down 

4 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Aren't we going overboard after 20 minutes against Walsall? Yes he did well but let him do it for 10 games against Championship opposition before we hail him as the new messiah - for his sake.

There are interviews of GM saying he hasn't had alot of time to look at him which is true but surly we should have/did have scouts at St. Pauli? Can't believe we didn't lock him down now we'll be  paying him double to keep in Jan

10 minutes ago, malek said:

One thing that makes me worried is that Matt Penney at 22 years of age after impressing at U-18 and U-23 level didn't start 15 games for us, or 50 for other teams considering we sent him out on loan 3 times. 

My opinion of course but think from what I've seen in youth games and first team games  mat penny has the  best left  foot since  Brunt  He has that certain style that he gets so much whip on his crosses.  

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

My opinion of course but think from what I've seen in youth games and first team games  mat penny has the  best left  foot since  Brunt  He has that certain style that he gets so much whip on his crosses.  

I don’t know if you got to see final of development league year we won it.?! 

Penney played left back, marke Jarred Bowen out of game so he got substituted, Still he managed to be big creative influuence for us and assisted for only goal of the game. 

Biggest difference is that Bowen got some playing time for Hull while Penney had to wait couple of years to make his Wednesday debut. 

4 minutes ago, malek said:

I don’t know if you got to see final of development league year we won it.?! 

Penney played left back, marke Jarred Bowen out of game so he got substituted, Still he managed to be big creative influuence for us and assisted for only goal of the game. 

Biggest difference is that Bowen got some playing time for Hull while Penney had to wait couple of years to make his Wednesday debut. 

That's the thing. I hope we give him that game time. Think he was doing great till jos played him out of position and ruined his confidence.  But to look at him he has everything to succeed,  the athleticism and ability.  That  game v villa a few year ago  he looked premier league quality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

That's the thing. I hope we give him that game time. Think he was doing great till jos played him out of position and ruined his confidence.  But to look at him he has everything to succeed,  the athleticism and ability.  That  game v villa a few year ago  he looked premier league quality. 

Writing his qualities down on paper, yes it seems to have them all to play full or wing back at this level. Although at 22 he is at right age he is lacking game time experience. 

Monk did a lot to help and improve Morgan Fox, no reason he couldn't do the same for Penney. 

• Like 1

If he can show a similar consistent level of performance over the first quarter of the season we should be moving to get him tied down to a decent length contract. 

There's no doubting he has the talent but he needs to perform at a good level on a regular basis. If he can do that we've got a player on our hands and we need to guard against having him nicked for a small fee in January.

12 minutes ago, malek said:

Writing his qualities down on paper, yes it seems to have them all to play full or wing back at this level. Although at 22 he is at right age he is lacking game time experience. 

Monk did a lot to help and improve Morgan Fox, no reason he couldn't do the same for Penney. 

And for me penny has a lot more quality than  fox. So hope so 

22 is no age at all. Got plenty of time ahead of him and could be a real gem.

I remember people talking about him 5 or 6  years ago when in the youth teams. 

But he seemed to be in the development team for a long time....maybe it was related to the Carlos/DC era coming along at the wrong time? Youth was not given a chance as we went into SPENDAGEDDON.

Good luck Matt, this could be your year.