Cowleys

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I thought they were safe? The chairman said as much after sacking them

They were in freefall when they took over, 6 games without a win

They did a good job to keep them up

Although they could end up on the same points as 3rd bottom they have a better goal difference of 14 More than Luton 

so a hell of a lot has to go wrong for them to be relegated 

Just now, PARKOWL said:

Although they could end up on the same points as 3rd bottom they have a better goal difference of 14 More than Luton 

so a hell of a lot has to go wrong for them to be relegated 

Take Wigan's 12 off and they are mathematically safe.

44 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I thought they were safe? The chairman said as much after sacking them

They were in freefall when they took over, 6 games without a win

They did a good job to keep them up

Yet other managers with teams higher up the table and worse squads are ridiculed. I dont understand why the Cowleys seem to be given a 'free pass'. You would think that they are something special and not just PE Teachers.

I was quite vocally in favour of the Cowleys over Monk before we appointed the latter.

My reasoning was because Monk seemed like a known quantity of being someone who develops semi-solid teams without really pushing them on, whereas the Cowleys were flying under the radar as potentially something special.

I've always thought I'd rather take the risk on the Cowleys and it fail, then take the risk on Monk and it turn out to be exactly what I expected..

To be honest, I still feel the same...

Edited by standerino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, standerino said:

I was quite vocally in favour of the Cowleys over Monk before we appointed the latter.

My reasoning was because Monk seemed like a known quantity of being someone who develops semi-solid teams without really pushing them on, whereas the Cowleys were flying under the radar as potentially something special.

I've always thought I'd rather take the risk on the Cowleys and it fail, then take the risk on Monk and it turn out to be exactly what I expected..

To be honest, I still feel the 

You were wrong , and the Cowleys have failed.

Although,  as I've previously said, in the world of 'Owlstalk Matchday ' , the Cowleys through the single point of being a lot of posters choice for our manager , will now enjoy career immunity from any blame,  and will enjoy lifelong support from a bizarrely high number of posters on here. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Why do you think the PE teachers are going to have success somewhere else ?? 

They have in the past. They’ve arguably done the first part of the job they had to do at Huddersfield? I’m pretty sure if they have to start in non-league again which they probably won’t, they’ll work their way back up?

There’s only one way Monk’s going as a manager and he’s been heading that way since the day Swansea sacked him?

And for the record one of our most successful managers of recent times was a PE Teacher 🤓

Edited by Jim
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, standerino said:

To be honest, I still feel the same...

exactly my thoughts too.  And I still feel the same 😂

19 minutes ago, Jim said:

They have in the past. They’ve arguably done the first part of the job they had to do at Huddersfield? I’m pretty sure if they have to start in non-league again which they probably won’t, they’ll work their way back up?

There’s only one way Monk’s going as a manager and he’s been heading that way since the day Swansea sacked him?

And for the record one of our most successful managers of recent times was a PE Teacher 🤓

They had success at non-league and division 2 were players are more likely to accept Cowleys management.  The higher they go the less the chances that players will take onboard there maverick approach. They may get work in the pub leagues but I doubt any higher.

11 minutes ago, Junglejay said:

The one thing the Cowleys need is something we and many other Championship clubs could never provide them with.  Time and patience.  

That's what every manager needs, what makes the Cowleys any different in that respect? 

Every single manager would say that they need at least two seasons before they have their own team and have instilled their own culture and playing style.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Although,  as I've previously said, in the world of 'Owlstalk Matchday ' , the Cowleys through the single point of being a lot of posters choice for our manager , will now enjoy career immunity from any blame,  and will enjoy lifelong support from a bizarrely high number of posters on here. 

In what way have they failed?

Huddersfield had 1 point in their first 6 games of the season before the Cowley joined. When Danny Cowley came in he said 'over my dead body are we getting relegated.' They are now mathematically safe from relegation and the fans don't want them to leave....

I disagree about your point about 'career immunity' as I don't think any manager in the land has that!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Since the Cowleys took over, Huddersfield have won 47 points in 38 games.

Since Garry Monk took over, Sheffield Wednesday have won 47 points in 38 games.

So you concede Garry Monk has failed too, right?

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

The Cowleys actually did slightly better with 50 points from 39 games, to Monk's 47 from 39.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

That's what every manager needs, what makes the Cowleys any different in that respect? 

Every single manager would say that they need at least two seasons before they have their own team and have instilled their own culture and playing style.  

I'm not suggesting they are any different and I certainly wouldn't want them anywhere near us.  I was glad we got Monk over them, which might tell it's own story regarding my opinion of the Cowleys

They've clearly had some success at Lincoln which they built up over time and perhaps under less pressure. They aren't going to come into a new club higher up in the league and have the immediate wow factor and gain players respect.  Medals on the table if you like.  Yet some on here would be happy with them taking over and rebuilding the squad knowing that we'd all be in meltdown after the first couple of losses. 

Guest LondonOwl313
11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

This is a false point because not all teams have the same expectations. Man City have 75 points from 36 games and Sheff Utd have 54 points from 36 games. The former have flopped relative to expectations this season, whereas the latter have surpassed all expectations.

Wednesday finished 2018/19 with top 6 form, and given we had the basis of the same team that achieved that plus 6th and 4th in 2015/16 and 2016/17, expectations were for a play off push. No reason why we shouldn't have finished anywhere between 5th and 10th when you consider Forest, Cardiff, Swansea, Preston, Millwall etc are all there and there's nothing special about them. Monk has failed relative to those expectations, and its compounded by the fact that we even slightly exceeded them first half of the season and then imploded over the second half.

Huddersfield on the other hand, got relegated and were left with a poor squad. If you were to pick a combined first XI at start of the season then it would have been mostly Wednesday players included. They also got off to a very poor start with 1 point from 6 games. The Cowley's achieved 50 points from 39 games which is what Huddersfield would have hoped for at the point of their appointment i.e. they met expectations if not slightly exceeded them.

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

This is a false point because not all teams have the same expectations. Man City have 75 points from 36 games and Sheff Utd have 54 points from 36 games. The former have flopped relative to expectations this season, whereas the latter have surpassed all expectations.

Wednesday finished 2018/19 with top 6 form, and given we had the basis of the same team that achieved that plus 6th and 4th in 2015/16 and 2016/17, expectations were for a play off push. No reason why we shouldn't have finished anywhere between 5th and 10th when you consider Forest, Cardiff, Swansea, Preston, Millwall etc are all there and there's nothing special about them. Monk has failed relative to those expectations, and its compounded by the fact that we even slightly exceeded them first half of the season and then imploded over the second half.

Huddersfield on the other hand, got relegated and were left with a poor squad. If you were to pick a combined first XI at start of the season then it would have been mostly Wednesday players included. They also got off to a very poor start with 1 point from 6 games. The Cowley's achieved 50 points from 39 games which is what Huddersfield would have hoped for at the point of their appointment i.e. they met expectations if not slightly exceeded them.

... you're telling me I've made a false point but ultimately agree with me...? :ph34r:

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

... you're telling me I've made a false point but ultimately agree with me...? :ph34r:

Apologies if I've got this wrong but thought you were saying that because we had the same points as Huddersfield that if one manager was deemed a failure then that reads across as being the same for the other. I think Cowley has done ok but Monk has failed, just on the basis of expectation. I get that some might think expecting a top half finish with a play off push was too high as a starting expectation but the form under Bruce after Jos left set that up