Fletcher v FF v Rhodes v Nuhiu

Two favourites gone, two pantomime villains still possibly Wednesday players in 20/21.

But is it clear-cut that our most effective goal-threats have gone?

Here’s the key contributions (goals and assists) over the past two seasons:-

Fletcher

4560 mins - 19 goals - 4 assists - goal every 240 mins - key contribution every 198 mins

Forestieri 

2265 mins - 6 goals - 3 assists - goal every 377 mins - key contribution every 252 mins

Nuhiu

2715 mins - 7 goals - 5 assists - goal every 387 mins - key contribution every 226 mins

Rhodes

1577 mins - 9 goals - 1 assist - goal every 175 mins - key contribution every 158 mins

Notes - Championship matches only. Penalties not included (Fletcher 5, Forestieri 2). 

Now I’m not suggesting that Rhodes-Nuhiu should be our strike pairing come September, but I am far less concerned that the cupboard is bare, and with a tasty acquisition or two we will be in decent shape up top.

Blue touch-paper lit. Steps back. Waits for bang.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing about Nuhiu is he's hugely popular in the dressing room, is very supportive of his team mates, can provide a different option coming off the bench, doesn't moan about doing that role and would be relatively cheap. All assets that would be valued by the manager.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

The thing about Nuhiu is he's hugely popular in the dressing room, is very supportive of his team mates, can provide a different option coming off the bench, doesn't moan about doing that role and would be relatively cheap. All assets that would be valued by the manager.

I agree that players can have a value to the club beyond what we see on the pitch, and maybe Nuhiu falls into that category.  If the extent of our ambition in future is Championship survival, then he should be offered a new contract.  

• Like 2

Has Nuhiu signed a new deal? 

Rhodes played his best football and was most prolific in his career off of a target man, I’m not sure Nuhiu despite his giant stature plays that way but in theory it should work just fine against most teams at this level. Especially if we get decent crosses into the mix from Reach, who despite his worst season here still contributes as many assists per minute than Mr ‘takes all the set pieces’ Bannan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Has Nuhiu signed a new deal? 

Rhodes played his best football and was most prolific in his career off of a target man, I’m not sure Nuhiu despite his giant stature plays that way but in theory it should work just fine against most teams at this level. Especially if we get decent crosses into the mix from Reach, who despite his worst season here still contributes as many assists per minute than Mr ‘takes all the set pieces’ Bannan. 

I don’t disagree.

I imagine at some points over the next 8 games we’ll see a Rhodes-Nuhiu pairing tried.

The OT meltdown would be interesting.

Oppo manager team-talk “Watch the front two. Their speed is deceptive. They’re slower than they look”.

• Haha 5

Bang

No, kidding.

I don't think Nuhiu and Rhodes will suddenly set the world alight but let's face it with current squad we haven't been world beaters recently.

It's not like the players who left we're amazing and somehow we are breaking up an irreplaceable group if high achievers.

We need hard workers committed to the cause while we rebuild.

• Like 2

Hopefully Rhodes gets the rest of the season, get him match fit and see what he's got. 

It's pointless giving him two games, dropping him for 2 months then bringing him back. 

When Nuhui signs his new 2 year contract we need another 2 strikers to compete with them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Bang

No, kidding.

I don't think Nuhiu and Rhodes will suddenly set the world alight but let's face it with current squad we haven't been world beaters recently.

It's not like the players who left we're amazing and somehow we are breaking up an irreplaceable group if high achievers.

We need hard workers committed to the cause while we rebuild.

Cost of FF, Fletch, Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Wickham - £150k per week

Cost of Nuhiu, Rhodes plus two other new fit healthy options - £100k per week

Cost of meltdown on OT - priceless

• Like 1

Would like to see Rhodes start almost every match between now and the end of the season. Either way he’s going to be up top with a big lad and that’s usually when he’s at his best. 

Does anyone know the most games he’s started in a row for us is? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Why have you excluded penalties? Rhodes refuses to take them so think it would be appropriate to include

Feel free to add them in. That’s why I listed them.

However, imho, it’s always wrong to consider pens to compare goal-scorers.

As an example, Isn Rush didnt take pens. Would it stop you buying him? (Notwithstanding he’s a tad past his prime)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Feel free to add them in. That’s why I listed them.

However, imho, it’s always wrong to consider pens to compare goal-scorers.

As an example, Isn Rush didnt take pens. Would it stop you buying him? (Notwithstanding he’s a tad past his prime)

I’m with you there! Be interesting to see similar thread on providers minus free kicks and corners but I imagine that’s harder to get hold of! 

Rather misleading for the OP to include Rhodes' stats from last season when he was playing at Norwich in a much more creative team that won the title. 

Over their entire SWFC careers, Rhodes has been bottom of the stats for both goals and assists per minute played than any other striker we've had. 

39 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m with you there! Be interesting to see similar thread on providers minus free kicks and corners but I imagine that’s harder to get hold of! 

I’m itching to take a stab at that but will try to resist scratching it.

I do know that when I looked mid-season we’d scored very few goals from open play.

We don’t reek of creativity.

30 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Rather misleading for the OP to include Rhodes' stats from last season when he was playing at Norwich in a much more creative team that won the title. 

Over their entire SWFC careers, Rhodes has been bottom of the stats for both goals and assists per minute played than any other striker we've had. 

Hardly misleading. I did state which seasons were included.

Edited by Holmowl

Possibly the worst performance from a front two this season was Rhodes and Nuhiu at Stoke.

The lack of pace was really highlighted .

The rest of the team was awful as well but if you are playing a front two they have to contribute and they didn’t.

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Possibly the worst performance from a front two this season was Rhodes and Nuhiu at Stoke.

The lack of pace was really highlighted .

The rest of the team was awful as well but if you are playing a front two they have to contribute and they didn’t.

True.

They (and the whole team) were dire.

6 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Would like to see Rhodes start almost every match between now and the end of the season. Either way he’s going to be up top with a big lad and that’s usually when he’s at his best. 

Does anyone know the most games he’s started in a row for us is? 

From memory, he started something like 16 of the first 20 games after he arrived here (and I think he came on from the bench in the others), scoring 3 goals. After that he's struggled to get much of a look in. 

6 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Why have you excluded penalties? Rhodes refuses to take them so think it would be appropriate to include

He refuses to take them? What about the ones he’s taken for us? As far as I’m aware he asks not to be in the named five in shoot-outs, but that’s it.