THE EFL HEARING THREAD

38 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Do we know for definite that they aren't challenging our valuation as well?

The valuation is a little silly! If you flattened it build as many houses on it as physically possible you'd still never make it worth 60 mill. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

The valuation is a little silly! If you flattened it build as many houses on it as physically possible you'd still never make it worth 60 mill. 

Thats not how its worked out, they take into account what somebody would be willing to pay for a football club,

which is totally different to building house's on a plot of land.

Edited by daleblue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

That's not how it's calculated though. It's based on how much it would cost to build a new stadium of similar stature less an amount for the existing stadiums expected lifespan.

Eg if it would cost £120m to build a new stadium that would last 50 years & the expected future lifespan of the old stadium is 25 years, then the valuation is £60m.

At least thats how I understand it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest paulvcooke
43 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How can they stop someone from buying a club?  Nowt to do with them surely.

They can attempt block it under the Owners' and Directors' Test, I've tried going through this https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-3---owners-and-directors-test/ but it's a bit dense.

They can, in extreme circumstances expel a club, lets not forget what happened at Bury.

My personal take on this is that the EFL has been very lax in it's application of the it's Owners' and Directors' Test in this case, and have allowed both Wigan and themselves to be dragged into fraud and league-fixing betting scandal. They are now stuck between a rock and hard place.

Do they, dock Wigan 12 points and relegate them effectively becoming complicit in a league-fixing con or not apply their regulation on administration in this case due to extenuating circumstances and risk the wrath of clubs who have fell foul of said regulations in the past? Rock, hard place. All their own fault, zero sympathy for the EFL, it's an appalling run organisation.

Feel very sorry for Wigan and their fans.

Just now, paulvcooke said:

They can attempt block it under the Owners' and Directors' Test, I've tried going through this https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-3---owners-and-directors-test/ but it's a bit dense.

They can, in extreme circumstances expel a club, lets not forget what happened at Bury.

My personal take on this is that the EFL has been very lax in it's application of the it's Owners' and Directors' Test in this case, and have allowed both Wigan and themselves to be dragged into fraud and league-fixing betting scandal. They are now stuck between a rock and hard place.

Do they, dock Wigan 12 points and relegate them effectively becoming complicit in a league-fixing con or not apply their regulation on administration in this case due to extenuating circumstances and risk the wrath of clubs who have fell foul of said regulations in the past? Rock, hard place. All their own fault, zero sympathy for the EFL, it's an appalling run organisation.

Feel very sorry for Wigan and their fans.

Yeah, it's always the fans who suffer they have no say in the running of the clubs, who owns them etc.  As we have seen football is poorer spectacle without the fans. 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

I'm not sure I'll be putting any money on Wigan getting a deduction. Got a feeling their case is a bit on the special side and wouldn't be surprised if they were allowed a reprieve or suspended deduction pending full investigation. It's the EFL, all bets are off. 

The rules on points deduction allow for an appeal based on exceptional circumstances

34 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

That's not the basis of the valuation.

23 minutes ago, mogbad said:

That's not how it's calculated though. It's based on how much it would cost to build a new stadium of similar stature less an amount for the existing stadiums expected lifespan.

Eg if it would cost £120m to build a new stadium that would last 50 years & the expected future lifespan of the old stadium is 25 years, then the valuation is £60m.

sorry, saw this after my earlier reply - this is correct, which is called depreciated replacement cost.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mogbad said:

To be fair I had no idea how it works but still think the valuation is off the charts. 

Edited by Bigblueowl

1 hour ago, darra said:

Could be mate  But surely that would've been flagged in due diligence and proof of funds shown?

The actual wording is "Source and sufficiency of funding".

It's not just proving you've actually got the funding, but proving that it's from a legitimate source.

39 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Sorry, but that's not correct.

It really does depend on what the local plan for Hillsborough is. If it is purely for use as a sports club, then the ground would have a very low valuation for redevelopment as it could take years to get planning permission for housing. Not a cats chance in hell would any significant high rise development be allowed. The cost to demolish and decontaminate the land prior to construction would probably be in the region of £5m before you even dug the first trench.

I would value Hillsborough as it is now - a football stadium. With the amount of money required to modernise it I would suggest that value would be no higher than £25m.

3 minutes ago, stuffed owl said:

Sorry, but that's not correct.

It really does depend on what the local plan for Hillsborough is. If it is purely for use as a sports club, then the ground would have a very low valuation for redevelopment as it could take years to get planning permission for housing. Not a cats chance in hell would any significant high rise development be allowed. The cost to demolish and decontaminate the land prior to construction would probably be in the region of £5m before you even dug the first trench.

I would value Hillsborough as it is now - a football stadium. With the amount of money required to modernise it I would suggest that value would be no higher than £25m.

Its priceless!!