Garry Monk shocked at EFL return date

23 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Still no explanation how relegation from the championship will work sering as league one has made no announcement about resuming their season. What a complete clusterfuck this is, all to keep Sky happy. 

The EFL have a meeting next Mon 8th with leagues 1 & 2.

See what that brings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

They are so desperate to stay cosy with the EPL that they are doing everything they can to just force this through.  They know they have a hard deadline at the end of July due to player contracts.  As it stands the 20th June is just about as late as they can restart and hit that date.  This is going to rumble on for years to come.  There will be teams relegated after players are out of contract, teams missing out on promotion/play-offs etc.  It's going to be an absolute sh!t show!

Not sure the significance of finishing before the end of July? Players are typically only contracted to the end of June, so that (in normal times) they can potentially link up with a new club for pre-season in early July.

Unless I’ve missed some news on temporary contract extensions , the current schedule gives just 10 days before a whole load of players will be out of contract?

Edited by PeakOwl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeakOwl said:

Not sure the significance of finishing before the end of July? Players are typically only contracted to the end of June, so that (in normal times) they can potentially link up with a new club for pre-season in early July.

Unless I’ve missed some news on temporary contract extensions , the current schedule gives just 10 days before a whole load of players will be out of contract?

Their contracts run out at end of June but they have a 1 month severance pay which covers July's pay. So their contracts may have run out but the club is still paying them so for July many will be happy to play.  But beyond that, it's game over.

• Thanks 2

Just not bothered...

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Their contracts run out at end of June but they have a 1 month severance pay which covers July's pay. So their contracts may have run out but the club is still paying them so for July many will be happy to play.  But beyond that, it's game over.

I’m not sure where this has come from because I’ve seen it said a lot and it doesn’t make sense to me. Players usually start at their new club on 1st July and you can sign a pre contract agreement before then, think it’s a month if it’s the same country and 6 months before if it’s abroad. So if players are on the move they could have signed for next season somewhere else already beginning 1st July. So I can’t see how those players can just play on until 31st July at their old club when in July they’d already be getting paid by the new club.

The Charlton players refusing to play after 30th June is a prime example because they’re out of contract and don’t have to play. If they were still under contract then it would be breach of contract to refuse to do so

Guest LondonOwl313
17 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

When you consider the PL actually starts back on the 17th I think it works out that the PL clubs had something like 3-4 days extra training.

Its just teams getting the excuses in early. 

It’s just 4.5 minutes of Monk whinging. He’s so negative.. needs to go ASAP. It’s the same for everybody so not sure what his point is

21 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

When you consider the PL actually starts back on the 17th I think it works out that the PL clubs had something like 3-4 days extra training.

Its just teams getting the excuses in early. 

I believe most of the PL start on the 20th, just 2 games on the 17th for those teams to catch up.

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’m not sure where this has come from because I’ve seen it said a lot and it doesn’t make sense to me. Players usually start at their new club on 1st July and you can sign a pre contract agreement before then, think it’s a month if it’s the same country and 6 months before if it’s abroad. So if players are on the move they could have signed for next season somewhere else already beginning 1st July. So I can’t see how those players can just play on until 31st July at their old club when in July they’d already be getting paid by the new club.

The Charlton players refusing to play after 30th June is a prime example because they’re out of contract and don’t have to play. If they were still under contract then it would be breach of contract to refuse to do so

It's come from reading it said a lot of times by ex players and current chairmen when discussing this situation.

Just not bothered...

12 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Clubs usually give a month's severance but the 2019/20 campaign will run into the summer and there are fears players with expiring contracts will lose the payment. EFL clubs have sent their players advice in an email on finishing the season. “Severance Pay is still due in line with the current contract.

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s just 4.5 minutes of Monk whinging. He’s so negative.. needs to go ASAP. It’s the same for everybody so not sure what his point is

Don’t disagree with you atall. But I’ll say this in Monk’s defence.

Lee Bowyer has been very vocal in the media throughout this about the affects on Charlton. Why? Because his club are a shambles at the minute and don’t have any representation at board level.

The bugbear has come from the fact the 3 club reps nominated by the 24 teams to make these decisions have seemingly made this one with consulting the other 21 teams. That’s the main gripe make no mistake, the actual date is just a caveat to this.

For me, Monk shouldn’t be answering questions of that nature. It’s a topic of which he has very little input, he doesn’t sit on the EFL board meetings with the other clubs chairman, CEOs etc. It’s been something I’ve found unsettling throughout DC’s reign. We constantly have the manager of the team answering questions about subjects a Chairman or CEO should be dealing with and relaying back to the local media. The fact is with Wednesday, if the media have question the only accessible face is the manager, and it’s wrong. 

As much as it is a whinge by Monk, it’s also a question that any fit and proper club would protect their manager from answering in detail. 

3 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Their contracts run out at the end of June, they do not need to play after that date unless they agree to an extension until the season ends,

Why would a team give a player an extra months pay after their contract ends, especially when they could already have signed for a new club, or do they work the first month of their contract for nothing?

Edited by the third man

21 hours ago, 0114 said:

You’ll never get 24 teams to agree on anything. EFL are right to go ahead and give a date. They’ve had 2 weeks of training and now another 3 weeks of contact training. No team is at an advantage or disadvantage from this and are all in the same boat. 

Steven Fletcher was out injured for 2 months and didn’t need a 5 week programme before Monk placed him in the team. Just get on with this season. 

Same at my work. Ten people. Ten different ideas. Mind you the other 9 are reyt tôssers🤪

Going to be mayhem. All footballers love a good moan at the slightest excuse.

As soon as something doesn’t go their way, players will be kicking up a fuss and blaming the EFL followed by taking their ball home.

Should’ve cancelled the season, made it null and void. Forgotten about what went on before. Halt promotion and relegation this season.

Apart from Barnsley being relegated