Garry Monk shocked at EFL return date

I think the re-start will be put back a week? TBH I think the EFL should accept that the season is going to go beyond July and look to start at the beginning of the month but I suppose Gibson, Barnsley etc. would have to be consulted first? 😁

• Haha 1

They are so desperate to stay cosy with the EPL that they are doing everything they can to just force this through.  They know they have a hard deadline at the end of July due to player contracts.  As it stands the 20th June is just about as late as they can restart and hit that date.  This is going to rumble on for years to come.  There will be teams relegated after players are out of contract, teams missing out on promotion/play-offs etc.  It's going to be an absolute sh!t show!

• Like 6

Just not bothered...

Guest wilyfox

I think clubs will rebuff the June 20 resumption - and rightly so. It would put players at greater risk of injury. They usually get a 5 week pre-season with full contact plus a handful of friendlies. Now they're getting 4 weeks, partly non-contact in small groups, and no games. They need adequate prep time. 

You’ll never get 24 teams to agree on anything. EFL are right to go ahead and give a date. They’ve had 2 weeks of training and now another 3 weeks of contact training. No team is at an advantage or disadvantage from this and are all in the same boat. 

Steven Fletcher was out injured for 2 months and didn’t need a 5 week programme before Monk placed him in the team. Just get on with this season. 

• Like 2

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think they'll all complain about it but carry on and comply

We'll see. It should be driven back a week at least. What surprised me most is EFL's intention to complete champ inc. playoffs by end of July. For finalists, that would mean 12 games in 6 weeks with half-fit players. 

And if one season does roll straight into next as Bullen implied, the transfer window will be manic.

Still no explanation how relegation from the championship will work sering as league one has made no announcement about resuming their season. What a complete clusterfuck this is, all to keep Sky happy. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Surely a lot of teams feel like this. Couldn’t the clubs refuse to return to competitive games on that date. It’s just asking for injuries rushing back to soon. 

Didn't the Bundesliga teams report that they were having about three times more muscular type injuries than normal since the return to action?