How Sheffield Wednesday's 'Premier League fan base' provides added pressure for Moses Odubajo

1_Moses-Odubajo.jpg

Another interesting article from Dom Howson at the Examiner. This one about Moses Odubajo talking about the unexpected pressure of playing in front of a fanbase the size of ours..

“It has got Premier League following, the fans are diehard which is what I wanted. Little did I know that with all of that comes the negatives, you hear more, you see more, there is more pressure involved and this is probably the biggest fan base that I have played in front of"

Read full article here 👉https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday-fans-moses-odubajo-18291407

Owlstalk Shop

It's interesting how more and more players are speaking about the size of our fanbase, the level of expectation, and the pressure it brings playing in front of our fans.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop/North Stand before signing or something to get an idea of what's coming?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

It's interesting how more and more players are speaking about the size of our fanbase, the level of expectation, and the pressure it brings playing in front of our fans.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop/North Stand before signing or something to get an idea of what's coming?

Ooh, you little minx. garymegson

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

The problem for Moses is that his best position is Wing-Back, but we don't play with Wing-Backs, we have very rigid Full-Backs.

He would have been ideal under Bruce, but Monk plays it differently.

His problem is that he is a disaster waiting to happen in our penalty area.

His decision-making needs a new word inventing way beyond ‘reckless’.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop...

....only if they don’t object to being pulled off at half-time.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Looking forward to our late play off challenge, playing behind closed doors. Players will love it an smash everyone 7 0...

• Haha 2

Oh come on Moses, everyone knows we a MASSIVE :laugh: whilst I do believe some players aren’t up to the pressure of playing for us and struggle with that, others I think just use the crowd as an excuse. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Oh come on Moses, everyone knows we a MASSIVE :laugh: whilst I do believe some players aren’t up to the pressure of playing for us and struggle with that, others I think just use the crowd as an excuse. 

Nahhhh

I don't believe they're using it as an excuse for one second

That's just to easy to suggest/say

In reality players are probably coming here, seeing the size of the stadium, seeing the attendance figures, looking at videos of our games, understanding the size of the club etc, then signing for us, putting on the shirt, running out for their first few games at Hillsborough and then feeling the sheer size of what they're in front of.

To us it's just normal. We're used to it. It's our day to day every day life as a Wednesday fan to sit in Hillsborough and experience what we experience.

To a new player on that pitch in front of a crowd our size wanting as much success as our fans do it's easy to see why they feel the pressure.

Some will cope with it, some won't

But it's definitely not used as an excuse for poor performance. More as a possible REASON (big big difference between the two)

Owlstalk Shop

I think there should be pressure from the supporters when we are playing at home. Our fans should have an expectation from the players to perform and put in a shift. Granted, it can’t always be easy for some but one thing is for certain, get it right, put in a shift and that fan base will get behind you.

Our players should relish coming an playing in front of supporters like ours because when we are on song there’s nowhere quite like it.... and away teams should dread it. 

8 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I think there should be pressure from the supporters when we are playing at home. Our fans should have an expectation from the players to perform and put in a shift. Granted, it can’t always be easy for some but one thing is for certain, get it right, put in a shift and that fan base will get behind you.

Our players should relish coming an playing in front of supporters like ours because when we are on song there’s nowhere quite like it.... and away teams should dread it. 

You been to Hillsborough lately ? Think you are referring to games like Brighton in the play offs but since then ? . It doesn’t take away teams long to keep our fans quiet , we lost our voice quite a while ago I reckon . 

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

You been to Hillsborough lately ? Think you are referring to games like Brighton in the play offs but since then ? . It doesn’t take away teams long to keep our fans quiet , we lost our voice quite a while ago I reckon . 

it’s easy to pick single games in isolation....Do you believe the players put in anything close to what could be considered an acceptable performance against let’s say.... Blackburn at home? 

That wasn’t the fans fault. 

Just now, Miffed said:

it’s easy to pick single games in isolation....Do you believe the players put in anything close to what could be considered an acceptable performance against let’s say.... Blackburn at home? 

That wasn’t the fans fault. 

Not blaming anyone just pointing out Hillsborough isn’t what it could be in terms of volume . 

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Not blaming anyone just pointing out Hillsborough isn’t what it could be in terms of volume . 

I know mate. 

My point is, if the players show some effort and put in a shift then the fans will back them. 

If it looks like they’re acting like they don’t want to be there, (ie against Blackburn) then they rightly deserve any flack they get. 

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nahhhh

I don't believe they're using it as an excuse for one second

That's just to easy to suggest/say

In reality players are probably coming here, seeing the size of the stadium, seeing the attendance figures, looking at videos of our games, understanding the size of the club etc, then signing for us, putting on the shirt, running out for their first few games at Hillsborough and then feeling the sheer size of what they're in front of.

To us it's just normal. We're used to it. It's our day to day every day life as a Wednesday fan to sit in Hillsborough and experience what we experience.

To a new player on that pitch in front of a crowd our size wanting as much success as our fans do it's easy to see why they feel the pressure.

Some will cope with it, some won't

But it's definitely not used as an excuse for poor performance. More as a possible REASON (big big difference between the two)

I would like to say this though. There are plenty of players that have signed for us that have played in opposing sides at Hillsborough and have been able to handle the crowd and put in some excellent performances. It may be slightly different week in week out but maybe they should realise that the vast majority of Hillsborough want them to do well and try and use it as a positive. 

5 minutes ago, Penfold said:

maybe they should realise that the vast majority of Hillsborough want them to do well and try and use it as a positive. 

Yeah definitely

Can't imagine it helps when they're playing on the pitch and a substitution is made and then they hear the crowd booing Nuhiu on etc tho

Owlstalk Shop

35 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I agree, the atmosphere at home has grown increasingly flat for 20 years. There was a brief uplift for 2 years when we made playoffs under Carlos. I can't remember it worse than it is now but I only started going circa 1990.

Edited by Mystic Neg

I think some players thrive on large fan bases and the added pressure while others wilt.
I suppose its impossible to tell 100% who will cope and who wont until they have actually experienced it.

Although doing homework on signings can help predict who will be able to cope, something from the outside we have been very poor at recently.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Agree or they actually embrace what being a footballer is all about and what most if not all of us have ever dreamed of running out in front of 20 odd thousand people