How Sheffield Wednesday's 'Premier League fan base' provides added pressure for Moses Odubajo

25 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I agree, the atmosphere at home has grown increasingly flat for 20 years. There was a brief uplift for 2 years when we made playoffs under Carlos. I can't remember it worse than it is now but I only started going circa 1990.

Absolutely. People talk about the lack of atmosphere these days as if it's a modern phenomenon that only relates to us because we've been poor lately. The truth is that you could see the difference almost overnight when standing areas were removed back in the 1990s.

21 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think some players thrive on large fan bases and the added pressure while others wilt.
I suppose its impossible to tell 100% who will cope and who wont until they have actually experienced it.

Although doing homework on signings can help predict who will be able to cope, something from the outside we have been very poor at recently.

It's bemusing that some are oblivious to such basic human nature. Some players (John Sheridan comes to mind back in 1991) take the criticism from the crowd and use that as energy to stick it back to them. But others (like Chris Woods for example) visibly shrunk in similar circumstances, making the problem even worse. I just don't get this prevailing attitude that it should be no big deal to have 20,000 delivering instant judgement on you. Plenty of those going on about the "delicate little flowers" would not cope in those circumstances, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I just don't get this prevailing attitude that it should be no big deal to have 20,000 delivering instant judgement on you

So if you applied for a job that said you needed to be able to perform to a certain standard and work in confined spaces etc and you got said job but were then found wanting what would happen to you?

You would either be put on a performance review or given a warning etc. Footballers should be no different. If they aren't doing the job move them on, quite simple really

1 minute ago, Owling with laughter said:

10 clubs average over 20,000 this season, they’re not stepping out at the Bernabeau.

Yet I bet if you were surrounded by just 50 people booing you at work you'd crumble into a wet heap on the floor

Owlstalk Shop

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's interesting how more and more players are speaking about the size of our fanbase, the level of expectation, and the pressure it brings playing in front of our fans.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop/North Stand before signing or something to get an idea of what's coming?

And subject them to a month of Owlstalk- see if they could handle the pressure!

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yet I bet if you were surrounded by just 50 people booing you at work you'd crumble into a wet heap on the floor

They’re footballers. More than 10 clubs in this league have similar or bigger crowds than Wednesday. Are the players at those clubs not under the same pressure?

It’s excuses that’s all.

16 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

They’re footballers. More than 10 clubs in this league have similar or bigger crowds than Wednesday. Are the players at those clubs not under the same pressure?

It’s excuses that’s all.

Yet he's not using it as an excuse

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You been to Hillsborough lately ? Think you are referring to games like Brighton in the play offs but since then ? . It doesn’t take away teams long to keep our fans quiet , we lost our voice quite a while ago I reckon . 

The away team don't have to quieten our crowd when the tactics the manager employs mean we have only scored 2 goals in 16 first halves at home under him.

Give us something to get behind. Our home support has become accustomed to dour displays and we rarely have the surprise of that not being the case.

6 hours ago, Miffed said:

I think there should be pressure from the supporters when we are playing at home. Our fans should have an expectation from the players to perform and put in a shift. Granted, it can’t always be easy for some but one thing is for certain, get it right, put in a shift and that fan base will get behind you.

Our players should relish coming an playing in front of supporters like ours because when we are on song there’s nowhere quite like it.... and away teams should dread it. 

Absolutely spot on

We live in a society with a generation of " everyone's a winner !! " who wail and bawl when they lose.

Many of these pampered players haven't a clue about the real world, nor the ability to accept a loss hurts and get back up and try harder.

They put more effort in to visiting the tattooist to look hard and tough, than having the balls to accept they have played crap and to do better next time.

It's all a blame game.... IT'S THE FANS FAULT !!!!      80LL0CKS !!!!!  Grow some and try harder and play better.

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's interesting how more and more players are speaking about the size of our fanbase, the level of expectation, and the pressure it brings playing in front of our fans.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop/North Stand before signing or something to get an idea of what's coming?

Pressure of playing at home as been used as an excuse for as long as I can remember, and I've been going since the sixties

I really hope we get back playing in front of empty stadiums

Lets see what excuse the players use then

It will be something like "the empty blue seats clashed with our shirts that's why my pass didn't find it's target"

Good players can play anywhere, and most of the time it's not ability we've lacked, it's heart and fighting spirit

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just to clarify though...

No player has used it as an excuse

I've heard loads use it as excuse over the years

Semedo was the latest one to speak about how hard it was to play at Hillsborough

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

9 hours ago, Miffed said:

My point is, if the players show some effort and put in a shift then the fans will back them. 

fox as always put the effort in and never shirked and he's copped the most abuse since chris morris was here …….a lot of our fans are abysmal when it comes to backing  certain players …

23 minutes ago, torryowl said:

fox as always put the effort in and never shirked and he's copped the most abuse since chris morris was here …….a lot of our fans are abysmal when it comes to backing  certain players …

99% of the time it's because they hear someone else slag a player off, and not because they themselves really believe the player is poor

It becomes fashionable to slate certain players in front of your mates 

Fox, Nuhiu and of course Bullen

It's fashionable to slate em to look cool to others 

Sad times

Owlstalk Shop

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

99% of the time it's because they hear someone else slag a player off, and not because they themselves really believe the player is poor

It becomes fashionable to slate certain players in front of your mates 

Fox, Nuhiu and of course Bullen

It's fashionable to slate em to look cool to others 

Sad times

Act like sheep you mean ? 

I've been to some of the biggest stadiums in Europe 

And sat with home fans 

Wednesday fans are like pussycats compared to the Turkish club fans