Six premier league footballers test positive for Covid 19

Just now, Mcguigan said:

Sorry, I don’t understand your point.

Are you saying players could still have the virus at the time of testing and it still showed negative?

Dunno if that's how it works to be honest mate so not sure

They could certainly get infected by being with other people in training though

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Sorry, I don’t understand your point.

Are you saying players could still have the virus at the time of testing and it still showed negative?

YES !

This has been discussed widely for many weeks. 

Public Health England states that the new antibody test is "100% accurate", but even if that's true it only confirms those who have had the virus previously. It is still not known if they are immune to re-infection or if they are, how long that lasts. The last I heard, the best assumption was that three months immunity is quite likely given comparisons to similar infections, but beyond that is guesswork. That could be out of date by now though.

Guest Mcguigan
11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Yet again; the same myopic perspective that the only issue at hand is how likely it is for physically fit blokes in the 20-40 age range to die from catching the virus. All the studies show this to be a negligible risk and NOBODY is arguing with that so far as I know. But what of the wider potential?

According to a couple of sources, around 300 people are required to stage a single top flight game. There are 92 of them left in the Premier League season, so that's 27,000 possible exposures. Each of those people will presumably live with three or four others on average, thus expanding that number to somewhere in the region of six figures. Once you factor in the indirect contact, that grows exponentially to who knows how many? Add the Championship to that, and those figures double at a stroke.

With 6 positive tests already, that hardly inspires confidence for keeping this under control, especially given the exponential spreading inherent with a virus that it's carriers can be completely oblivious to.

Plenty of professional bodies and individuals, in many countries, do not agree with various measures being taken by Governments at this stage which includes the return of professional sport.

Regular testing is all very well, but the instant kits are some way short of reliable and the others take 2-3 days to process, by which time the result is out of date anyway.

What about the studies that suggest strenuous exercise, like playing top level football for example, exacerbates the effects of infection?

Troy Deeney has already highlighted that the authorities he spoke to were unable to answer what he thought were straightforward questions. So with that in mind, what measures are being taken to ensure that players, coaches, medical staff, equipment handlers, officials, camera crews, stadium facilities, drivers, security etc. who are involved in the games do not have underlying health conditions that increases their risk? Is there even an exhaustive list of what kind of things would need to be investigated?

Scientific research so far indicates that those who suffer moderate to severe symptoms but recover could face long term or permanent organ damage, leading to other possible health problems in the future. 

Does this mean that the plan is inevitably doomed to failure? Of course not. Perhaps everything goes tremendously well and the whole thing is recorded in history as a minor inconvenience. But I do find it frustrating that some people are so aggressively dismissive of the potential implications; if they've even considered them to begin with.

Hang on though, you could say the same thing about my local Morrison’s.

Over a 90 minute period, including the staff and customers, probably over 300 people are present in this indoor facility. Over 92 stores that’s 27,000 possible exposures.

Each of these will probably live with three or four etc etc.....

Do we close them?

As for staff with underlying health issues, the answer is quite simple, stay at home. I’ll sure the professional football will cope.

Edited by Mcguigan

Just now, Mcguigan said:

Over a 90 minute period, including the staff and customers, probably over 300 people are present in this indoor facility. Over 92 stores that’s 27,000 possible exposures.

As for staff with underlying health issues, the answer is quite simple, stay at home. I’ll sure the professional football will cope.

Bang on mate

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Do we close them?

One is classed as an essential service with key workers.

The other is purely a game, which is being restarted for money and greed.

Not quite the same.

"No specific details will be provided regarding who's tested positive or which clubs are affected due to legal and operational requirements"

Disgusting that the PL don't release details of players or clubs ... What happened to all this 'contact tracing' bolix then?

Other people may have been in contact with these players/staff and should know about it.

29 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

You can look for angles all day long but 6 positive tests from748 or 0.008% means football will go on.

Think you've got the decimal point in the wrong place mate 6 out of 748 is 0.8%

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Well yes, and despite the social distancing measures, they are probably responsible for a significant percentage of the transmissions. But some would argue that they supply a service somewhat more vital than playing football.

But what are the 'underlying health issues' so glibly talked about by the way? Just one example - Dr John Dickinson, head of the exercise respiratory clinic at the University of Kent, has conducted the most up-to-date research into professional footballers and levels of asthma and he estimates that possibly 25-30% of players may be suffering some degree of it. But he was complaining about the lack of research into that even before Coronavirus. To be fair, there is no evidence that asthmatics are more susceptible to the infection, but respiratory patients are much more likely to suffer complications from it. But if you were one of them, would you be so quick to shrug your shoulders and take the leap of faith; because that's what it would be?

Again, I'm not predicting disaster, because I'm not qualified to do so and the implications are widely unknown about so much of this whole episode. Maybe the safety measures turn out to be adequate, although Troy Deeney's account does not inspire confidence in that. But it seems to me that too many are playing fast and loose with the possibilities as if this is no more consequential than a bad cold or the likelihood of being hit by a meteorite.

9 minutes ago, erowl said:

"No specific details will be provided regarding who's tested positive or which clubs are affected due to legal and operational requirements"

Disgusting that the PL don't release details of players or clubs ... What happened to all this 'contact tracing' bolix then?

Other people may have been in contact with these players/staff and should know about it.

Good point

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, erowl said:

What if 4 of the infected were from the same club and these happen to be their best players. Would it be fair for a fixture to go ahead?

1 minute ago, lanzaroteowl said:

What if 4 of the infected were from the same club and these happen to be their best players. Would it be fair for a fixture to go ahead?

Yes under these conditions - if we were in the Premier League and we were playing them!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ANDY said:

Just cancel it.

Nothing is more important than a persons life/health

Spot on mate. Just wipe this season from the record books and aim at starting again in August. The only reason they are wanting to finish the season is money. 

17 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

But it seems to me that too many are playing fast and loose with the possibilities as if this is no more consequential than a bad cold or the likelihood of being hit by a meteorite.

If it was my choice I would call the league on a PPG basis but it seems most people in football - if you believe the noises they are making - want to crack on. The Germans aren't renowned for their wild abandon in this sort of thing. If in doubt follow the German example I guess is the best way. We can see what traps they fall into.  

42 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Football is not a necessity in any form for the general public.  Compared to other industries.

All I see is people acting like kids with boredom hoping to be entertained.

I certainly couldn't get on with my life without the ability to buy cushions or petunias. I'm glad home delivery at John Lewis never stopped and that garden centres have reopened. I can get a Wagamama soon as well. The Bare Necessities. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If it was my choice I would call the league on a PPG basis but it seems most people in football - if you believe the noises they are making - want to crack on. The Germans aren't renowned for their wild abandon in this sort of thing. If in doubt follow the German example I guess is the best way. We can see what traps they fall into.  

That's one of the reasons why if I were making the decision I'd wait probably two or three more weeks at least. Firstly to reduce the infections in this country to a safer level and also to see how manageable playing games is elsewhere. 

But then, I don't have several hundred million reasons to get on with it.

• Like 1

Really interesting how polarized views are on this.

I seem to be in a minority as someone who is at risk (no spleen), and 60 next month, but prefer to get on with my life as I choose.

At the other end are fit people who have been frightened to death by the media and refuse to leave the house.

sadly we are now told we are no longer capable of each choosing our own destiny, but have let the government tell us how to live.

compare this to smokers.

The 2020s will see far more people die of smoking than this virus, yet nobody bats an eyelid about that.

Everyone would agree that they are adults free to make their own choice in life.

Whatever happened to that philosophy?

The government could have saved more lives by banning smoking instead. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Good start.

:laugh:

I found this from Troy Deeney's interview quite incredible under the circumstances. Safety at the top of the Premier League's agenda my ballsack...

In fairness barbers and their customers aren’t getting tested for Coronavirus twice a week.

2 minutes ago, mcowl said:

Really interesting how polarized views are on this.

I seem to be in a minority as someone who is at risk (no spleen), and 60 next month, but prefer to get on with my life as I choose.

At the other end are fit people who have been frightened to death by the media and refuse to leave the house.

sadly we are now told we are no longer capable of each choosing our own destiny, but have let the government tell us how to live.

compare this to smokers.

The 2020s will see far more people die of smoking than this virus, yet nobody bats an eyelid about that.

Everyone would agree that they are adults free to make their own choice in life.

Whatever happened to that philosophy?

The government could have saved more lives by banning smoking instead. 

That sounds like you're advocating joining the protests in Norfolk Park last weekend and holding up banners that we will not bow down to Government making us have a vaccine injection for it

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It is divisive subject and I’m sure my full view on this would very much upset the snow flakes and the covid police on social media.

Members of general public (the working man), in particular construction workers told to work and mix on sites with people they’ve never met and there’s no testing available but they are cracking on the best they can. Now on to footballers....mixing with the same 20 people who they know and who should have been isolating as per the guidelines but refusing to go back to work despite it probably been safer than your average work place. I would also imagine that financially they are able to fund regular testing like the Germans to ensure further safety. 

All workplaces have to employ social distancing. Any who feel that they are not being given protection can refuse to work although some bosses may exploit this.

Footballers are having body to body contact and swapping sweat at the very least. I dont blame Troy Deeney in the slightest.

BTW the snowflake stuff in this lethal context is pretty indicative of someone who hasnt been exposed to the virus.