Six premier league footballers test positive for Covid 19

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There are two types of test. You can choose between reliability or getting the result within minutes instead of days, but can't have both yet.

Either way, there's still a risk.

Fair dos,Some risk but it’s not comparable to a haircut or the rest of us being asked to go back to the office at the end of the month without any testing. 

Id still cancel it to be on the safe side but disagree with some of the comparisons used by generally well looked after footballers 

Edited by Bluesteel

8 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

The risk would be that it takes 48 hours to get the results and anyone could get infected after testing but prior to the next test.

The only way to guarantee this not happening would be everyone of the players, managers, coaches, officials and any others involved to be quarantined until all their games had been played.

I can't see that happening.

isnt that what they do after tests in Germany? A manager went out to the shop and couldn’t go and do his job. 

28 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I agree to a point but contact sport and football in particular is a bit different - youve for physically contact people on and off for long periods-you gonna go and head the ball and

have faces and spit and sweat contacting each other.

They wouldn’t be sending people back to do a Normal. job where every few minutes you had to grapple with someone in the factory and put your face in contact with someone elses every few minutes. 

Agreed but this is the argument. The country is investing in equipment to get us back up and running but this particular profession are currently refusing. Germany have proved it can happen, despite the media perception it must be safe or the players, managers and staff wouldn’t be doing it. 

Football clubs with their facilities and doctoring staff etc... are more suitably equipped to make it happen than my current employer. 

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Germany have proved it can happen, despite the media perception it must be safe or the players, managers and staff wouldn’t be doing it. 

To be fair, Germany has had less than a quarter of the total Coronavirus deaths that we've had in the UK, with nine of the last ten days being under 100. At the weekend, it was down to 22; a very far cry from here which was almost eight times that amount. Despite that, there were 10 positive tests within the Bundesliga before the season even got restarted. Their starting point was much better than our's and there's still some way to go yet before declaring it an unquestioned triumph.

I've no idea how the average German footballer measures up, but I wouldn't be asking the likes of Wayne Rooney for erudite discourse on scientific and socio-political issues. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I certainly couldn't get on with my life without the ability to buy cushions or petunias. I'm glad home delivery at John Lewis never stopped and that garden centres have reopened. I can get a Wagamama soon as well. The Bare Necessities. 

opinions eh

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

There are two types of test. You can choose between reliability or getting the result within minutes instead of days, but can't have both yet.

Either way, there's still a risk.

Th PL tests are to see if a player has it t the time of testing - 24 hour turnaround for results

5 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Members of general public (the working man), in particular construction workers told to work and mix on sites with people they’ve never met and there’s no testing available

Difference being, if they had the dosh they would prob say bollloxe to that I ain't going back until it is proven safe not guess work.

Though i'm sure most will be overjoyed and can't wait to get back.

:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

That's better then, but still some way short of the conclusiveness that would be the ideal situation.

The problem is if a player contracts the virus between tests

3-4 days of potentially infecting others

Bring it back for me. If players don’t want to train or play that’s their choice but society has to accept the risk and move on as best we can.

The posters saying ‘nothing is more important than a persons life/health’ - at what point do you think football should come back? When covid is eradicated completely? Could be years away.

Helicopters weren’t banned because Matthew Harding and the Leicester owner died in them.

Footballers didn’t stop flying after the Munich air disaster.

Fans still went to games after Heysel, Valley Parade and Hillsborough.

Cars didn’t stop after the Jose Antonio Reyes crash.

Footballers still played after Marc Vivien Foe and Phil O’Donnell died on the field.

Life and contact sports will never be completely safe, it’s up to the individual whether they’re prepared to play and go to games 

29 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Bring it back for me. If players don’t want to train or play that’s their choice but society has to accept the risk and move on as best we can.

The posters saying ‘nothing is more important than a persons life/health’ - at what point do you think football should come back? When covid is eradicated completely? Could be years away.

Helicopters weren’t banned because Matthew Harding and the Leicester owner died in them.

Footballers didn’t stop flying after the Munich air disaster.

Cars didn’t stop after the Jose Antonio Reyes crash.

Footballers still played after Marc Vivien Foe and Phil O’Donnell died on the field.

Life and contact sports will never be completely safe, it’s up to the individual whether they’re prepared to play and go to games 

Despite the best attempts to stop it, there have still been 35,341 deaths from Coronavirus in the UK in just a few weeks (almost ten times that number worldwide). Rather a different order of magnitude than all of those items in your list added together.

Suggesting that 100% safety is the only acceptable standard is just the most gigantic of straw men that trivialises some of the issues involved.

And yet again; for some people the issue is no more complicated than the negligible risk of physically fit young men dying of the infection as if none of the other concerns that the world has been talking about for the last 5-6 months ever happened.

Edited by DJMortimer

30 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Not exactly an accurate comparison - Liverpool fans were banned for 5 years after Heysel. Valley Parade wasn't rebuilt with wood and the compensation claims for the other one are still rumbling on more than 30 years later.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Despite the best attempts to stop it, there have still been 35,341 deaths from Coronavirus in the UK in just a few weeks (almost ten times that number worldwide). Rather a different order of magnitude than all of those items in your list added together.

Suggesting that 100% safety is the only acceptable standard is just the most gigantic of straw men that trivialises some of the issues involved.

And yet again; for some people the issue is no more complicated than the negligible risk of physically fit young men dying of the infection as if none of the other concerns that the world has been talking about for the last 5-6 months ever happened.

What’s your solution then? Sports, pubs, restaurants and airlines can’t reopen or restart until the virus is completely eradicated or there’s a mass vaccine available?

And how many people do you think would die worldwide with the damage that will do to the global economy and knock on effects in health care in other areas?

If the government is looking to get people back to work, do you think they need to be publishing how many of that 35k figure you’ve quoted were aged under 65 with no pre existing conditions?