@owlstalk

Six premier league footballers test positive for Covid 19

PL-Logo.png

As Sheffield Wednesday announce they are to return to training on Monday, The Premier League have just announced that they have tested 748 players and staff for coronavirus and that six had returned positive results.

The tests were ran on Sunday and Monday.

Those testing positive have been ordered to self isolate for a week.

The results are six positive results affecting three different clubs.

"No specific details will be provided regarding who's tested positive or which clubs are affected due to legal and operational requirements"

Sheffield Wednesday players are getting tested on Thursday or Friday this week

Just cancel it.

Nothing is more important than a persons life/health

• Haha 1

Troy Deeney refusing to go in for training. Could be start of a rebellion, though he does have a valid point that the powers that be can't answer. 

• Haha 1

Good start.

:laugh:

I found this from Troy Deeney's interview quite incredible under the circumstances. Safety at the top of the Premier League's agenda my ballsack...

“I can’t get a haircut until mid-July but I can go and get in a box with 19 people and jump for a header? I don’t know how that works. No one could answer the questions – not because they didn’t want to, because they didn’t have the information.

“I just said ‘If you don’t know the information, why would I put myself at risk?’.”

It’s a very divisive subject. On the face of it cancelling the season seems the safest thing to do but if Germany is anything to go by, they seem intent on completing the season with twice weekly tests. 

Players health seems to be of little concern as they will say only 10 players (Germany) and only 7 players (PL so far) have got it. 

If one of those 10 or 7 die, what then? Would that tip the scales and why put anyone in that situation for the sake of football? 

It's stupid, selfish and irresponsible. Just cancel the whole thing and be done with it.

21 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Just cancel it.

Nothing is more important than a persons life/health

I was going to be sarcastic and say "apart from the vast sums of money for broadcasting rights, nothing is more important...." but some people would read that like I meant it. 

Then it got me thinking. If football was pre-PL, do you think things would be different with regards to finishing the season? Imagine if it was the 1980s or 90s, what would the governing bodies be saying and doing then? I bet they would just cancel it, and if that's what they would do, it really does show exactly the reason as to why they want this to carry on. It's not for the integrity of the game, it's for the multi-billion pound empire of global football. It's just wrong.

• Like 1

It’s players and staff. It doesn’t exclusively state players. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It’s a very divisive subject. On the face of it cancelling the season seems the safest thing to do but if Germany is anything to go by, they seem intent on completing the season with twice weekly tests. 

Players health seems to be of little concern as they will say only 10 players (Germany) and only 7 players (PL so far) have got it. 

If one of those 10 or 7 die, what then? Would that tip the scales and why put anyone in that situation for the sake of football? 

It is divisive subject and I’m sure my full view on this would very much upset the snow flakes and the covid police on social media.

Members of general public (the working man), in particular construction workers told to work and mix on sites with people they’ve never met and there’s no testing available but they are cracking on the best they can. Now on to footballers....mixing with the same 20 people who they know and who should have been isolating as per the guidelines but refusing to go back to work despite it probably been safer than your average work place. I would also imagine that financially they are able to fund regular testing like the Germans to ensure further safety. 

8 minutes ago, FroggattOwls said:

It’s players and staff. It doesn’t exclusively state players. 

Does it matter?

If its staff  they could be in a more at risk group

19 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

It's stupid, selfish and irresponsible. Just cancel the whole thing and be done with it.

Thanks there Mark......

Our "Goodison Park" correspondent....

jeff_stelling__65708.1396340664.jpg.991e404c677661e8a6c25ab6c5234144.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Imagine if it was the 1980s or 90s, what would the governing bodies be saying and doing then?

Do you mean the 80s and 90s when the top teams were clamouring to set up the Premier League? 

There was no money to be made with lucrative overseas TV contracts so I take your point - but to pretend that means football wasn't driven by money is a bit daft. Look at some of our successful players in the 80s for example. Bannister, Varadi, Chapman, Sterland, Megson all left and got more lucrative deals elsewhere. Chapman's was a bit of a George Hirst before George Hirst situation. 

Collectively I don't think the current mob are any worse or any better. 

Edited by rickygoo

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It is divisive subject and I’m sure my full view on this would very much upset the snow flakes and the covid police on social media.

Members of general public (the working man), in particular construction workers told to work and mix on sites with people they’ve never met and there’s no testing available but they are cracking on the best they can. Now on to footballers....mixing with the same 20 people who they know and who should have been isolating as per the guidelines but refusing to go back to work despite it probably been safer than your average work place. I would also imagine that financially they are able to fund regular testing like the Germans to ensure further safety. 

I don't agree with this thought process.

Going to work in any business with any amount of people in any industry is a risk.

Just because one seems safer than the other is no reason to advocate for it happening

10 minutes ago, the third man said:

Does it matter?

If its staff  they could be in a more at risk group

More likely they weren’t even aware they had it. Otherwise they’d have been following the government guidelines and self isolating.

I’m sure any PL club who has staff in the high risk group will have told them to stay away from training and match days anyway.

You can look for angles all day long but 6 positive tests from748 or 0.008% means football will go on.

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

You can look for angles all day long but 6 positive tests from748 or 0.008% means football will go on.

That's 6 positive tests 

It takes up to 2 weeks to show positive after contracting it

After a couple of days of training it could escalate pretty rapidly and then in a couple of weeks time could be a right mess

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

After a couple of days of training it could escalate pretty rapidly and then in a couple of weeks time could be a right mess

And it would be nothing more than the premier league deserves 

Completely irresponsible attempting to re-start the season, but it’s all about the £££££ and nothing or anybody is more important , including the players/managers/everyone involved with day to day running of a clubs health and well-being 

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Yet again; the same myopic perspective that the only issue at hand is how likely it is for physically fit blokes in the 20-40 age range to die from catching the virus. All the studies show this to be a negligible risk and NOBODY is arguing with that so far as I know. But what of the wider potential?

According to a couple of sources, around 300 people are required to stage a single top flight game. There are 92 of them left in the Premier League season, so that's 27,000 possible exposures. Each of those people will presumably live with three or four others on average, thus expanding that number to somewhere in the region of six figures. Once you factor in the indirect contact, that grows exponentially to who knows how many? Add the Championship to that, and those figures double at a stroke.

With 6 positive tests already, that hardly inspires confidence for keeping this under control, especially given the exponential spreading inherent with a virus that it's carriers can be completely oblivious to.

Plenty of professional bodies and individuals, in many countries, do not agree with various measures being taken by Governments at this stage which includes the return of professional sport.

Regular testing is all very well, but the instant kits are some way short of reliable and the others take 2-3 days to process, by which time the result is out of date anyway.

What about the studies that suggest strenuous exercise, like playing top level football for example, exacerbates the effects of infection?

Troy Deeney has already highlighted that the authorities he spoke to were unable to answer what he thought were straightforward questions. So with that in mind, what measures are being taken to ensure that players, coaches, medical staff, equipment handlers, officials, camera crews, stadium facilities, drivers, security etc. who are involved in the games do not have underlying health conditions that increases their risk? Is there even an exhaustive list of what kind of things would need to be investigated?

Scientific research so far indicates that those who suffer moderate to severe symptoms but recover could face long term or permanent organ damage, leading to other possible health problems in the future. 

Does this mean that the plan is inevitably doomed to failure? Of course not. Perhaps everything goes tremendously well and the whole thing is recorded in history as a minor inconvenience. But I do find it frustrating that some people are so aggressively dismissive of the potential implications; if they've even considered them to begin with.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's 6 positive tests 

It takes up to 2 weeks to show positive after contracting it

Sorry, I don’t understand your point.

Are you saying players could still have the virus at the time of testing and it still showed negative?

Football is not a necessity in any form for the general public.  Compared to other industries.

All I see is people acting like kids with boredom hoping to be entertained.