Six premier league footballers test positive for Covid 19

5 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm trying to engage people on the issues in a substantive and hopefully informed way. Maybe I can introduce perspectives they haven't considered or were unaware of. 

You on the other hand, have ironically refused to accept alternative viewpoints, preferring instead Donald Trump style flouncing, name-calling and avoiding any details you don't like. 

If you can't look beyond simple binary choices, in a cheap and transparent attempt to "belittle" others, then I can't help you. It's classic straw man psychology. Yes, everything I have said is a solemn recommendation none of us ever get out of bed again. :dry:

Are you really calling the guy out for name calling when in another thread ive read recently you are seen calling people idiots?

22 minutes ago, the_who said:

Are you really calling the guy out for name calling when in another thread ive read recently you are seen calling people idiots?

I have posted a number of long and detailed posts about the issues surrounding Coronavirus and why the situation is rather more complicated than 'young people don't die so get on with it'. Hopefully, some people have found parts of this informative as I imagine I've spent more time reading about it than the majority. If you find it haughty or whatever, that's up to you. In the same way, I am free to find some opinions ignorant or short-sighted. The person I singled out in this thread responded twice to all of this with almost nothing except making snide remarks about me and all but ignored the substance of the actual debate. 

As for "calling people idiots", that was non-specific and a flippant aside about how freedom of will leads to a wide variety of opinions in large populations. Although as the subject in question was how Donald Trump became president, it's hardly maverick or controversial.

Can I now call on you to finish what you started as self-appointed site policeman and admonish the other individual in this? And I'm sure there are plenty of other posters for you to wag you finger at. Or, like in his case, is it just about me because I had the temerity to disagree with you (which in itself is quite ironic really)?

Edited by DJMortimer

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I have posted a number of long and detailed posts about the issues surrounding Coronavirus and why the situation is rather more complicated than 'young people don't die so get on with it'. Hopefully, some people have found parts of this informative as I imagine I've spent more time reading about it than the majority. If you find it haughty or whatever, that's up to you. In the same way, I am free to find some opinions ignorant or short-sighted. The person I singled out in this thread responded twice to all of this with almost nothing except making snide remarks about me and all but ignored the substance of the actual debate. 

As for "calling people idiots", that was non-specific and a flippant aside about how freedom of will leads to a wide variety of opinions in large populations. Although as the subject in question was how Donald Trump became president, it's hardly maverick or controversial.

Can I now call on you to finish what you started as self-appointed site policeman and admonish the other individual in this? And I'm sure there are plenty of other posters for you to wag you finger at. Or, like in his case, is it just about me because I had the temerity to disagree with you (which in itself is quite ironic really)?

Don’t worry if I see anyone moaning about name calling when they do it themselves I will call it out 🙂

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Who have I called a name, specifically?

Ah you are using the ‘if I offend everyone then I offend no one’ approach.

i don’t particularly care who you offend but don’t call the guy out for something you are also doing. It’s not cool

Edited by the_who

8 hours ago, the third man said:

If we worried about saving jobs, then we just have carried on, regardless of the effect

What's more important at the end of the day is peoples lives not jobs, I would imagine most people would rather have a low death rate

you’re first statement isn’t correct though...the government have put a scheme out to retain jobs and help save businesses. Why are footballer immune to this scheme?? 

agreed lives are more important. 

Two new cases of coronavirus, at two separate clubs, have been found after the latest round of Premier League tests.

Tests were carried out on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of last week, with 996 players and club staff tested overall.

Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

This time the tests available to each club was increased from 40 to 50.

On 19 May the Premier League announced that in the first round, six tested positive from three clubs. That included Watford's Adrian Mariappa and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan. A total of 748 players and club staff were tested between 17-18 May.

Squads started non-contact training from Tuesday.

The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March because of the coronavirus pandemic, with 92 fixtures remaining.

Speaking on Friday, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said the league was "as confident as we can be" about restarting in June.

Asked what date the Premier League was targeting for a return, Masters said it must be "flexible" and could learn from the resumption of the Bundesliga.

On Saturday the Spanish Prime Minister said La Liga can resume behind closed doors from 8 June.

Owlstalk Shop

The idea of the early rounds of testing is to have positive cases. The presence of positive cases is a good thing as far as the resumption of the league is concerned, it means the system is working. Not so good for those that have it though, obviously! 

The time for calling it off is if there’s a massive spike when they get back to training as full squads. 

Guest Mcguigan
14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think we find out tomorrow don't we?

EFL tweet, 2 positive tests from1014 tests.

Two players or members of staff from one Championship club have tested positive for coronavirus, the EFL confirmed on Sunday.

An official statement from the league read: "The EFL can confirm that 1014 players and Club staff from all 24 Championship Clubs have been tested for COVID-19 over the course of the last 72 hours, with two individuals testing positive from one Club.

"Those players or Club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate in line with the guidelines provided by the EFL and only those who have tested negative will be permitted to enter training ground facilities.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thanks mate

Lower than expected I would say?

Very low.

Just waiting for DJ Mortimer to confirm the tests were accurate.