Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

6 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

That side did not include Warhurst, Waddle, Walker, Bart-Williams, Bright all of which were added by Francis and enabled us to compete in the top flight for the next three seasons.

Francis was far from being a disaster but like nearly all managers after a few years had gone stale and done all he could do. The time was right for him to go, but to blame him for everything that went wrong over the next few years (leading to our relegation a whole five years later when maybe only two or three of his squad were still at the club) is total and utter nonsense.

Neil clearly is pursuing a vendetta based on a personal problem with him.

Big Ron had put together the side that would enable us to compete in the top flight for the next few seasons.  We'd just beaten Man Utd in the Cup Final who went on to beat Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup. We were a quality side already!

In the 91-92 season Francis spent 2 million on Woods and Jemson who didn't really improve the xi or, at least that 2 million could have been spent on other players who could have made a significant difference.

Even the signing of Warhust (750K) was as a centre back in that 91-92 season and I would argue, that despite being a great footballer, his inclusion at centre back, if anything, actually weakened the team.  I thought Pearson and Shirtliff was a better combination and even one of Anderson or Palmer if there were injuries etc.  So that's the best part of 3 million spent without significantly improving the team.

We had a great opportunity to win more trophies post Big Ron, possibly even a league title and, whilst Francis came very close in 93 we ultimately ended up with nothing.  And I do think that with a better managerial choice at the time we would have ended up with more than just that League Cup that Big Ron won.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Degryse

Absolutley wonderful player.  Always a step ahead of others in his thought process , receiving the ball on the half turn. 

You look at those teams playing 4-2-3-1 these days and just know that Degryse would have had his pick of clubs in that number 10 role.

Such a terribly short time with us. But an absolutley lovely player to watch, balance and grace and vision. To see him alongside the likes of Collins, Oakes,  Booth etc. Such a shame. The man was on a different plane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Absolutley wonderful player.  Always a step ahead of others in his thought process , receiving the ball on the half turn. 

You look at those teams playing 4-2-3-1 these days and just know that Degryse would have had his pick of clubs in that number 10 role.

Such a terribly short time with us. But an absolutley lovely player to watch, balance and grace and vision. To see him alongside the likes of Collins, Oakes,  Booth etc. Such a shame. The man was on a different plane.

Imagine if we'd have signed him to partner Hirst for that 91-92 season.

15 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If you look at Francis's record at Wednesday and other clubs he was a pretty average manager.

He was manager of 1992/93 season which was the best Wednesday side in my lifetime so must take some credit for that.

Deserved to get sack in 1995 as things had gone stale and players didnt respect him by then.

Think harsh to blame him on our demise since as its 25 years ago now he was manager.

Out of the managers we had at that time think Danny Wilson must take most blame for relegation.

We have made some shocking appointments..Francis time was some of the best times watching us along with BFR. Bad ones include Wilson, Shreeves, Yorath etc.

Some real rot on here.

man management? Speak to anyone who has played for Rafa, George Graham and others with a cabinet full of medals. Most of the players who played for those two wouldn’t douse them with their own urine if they were on fire. 

this amazing world class team big Ron built got relegated in 1990 and we finished a brilliant 3rd in the then division 2 the season after behind the mighty Oldham athletic. The idea we had Brazil 1970 on our hands is nonsense.

francis did a great job here as manager. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oooooffff

Ronnie hits back with a slam dunk of a post BLOWING AWAY the theory that Francis should be deemed as some kind of hero for his signings

...and in doing so also pulls the rug out from underneath your nonsense about the next few years being exclusively his fault.

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Some real rot on here.

man management? Speak to anyone who has played for Rafa, George Graham and others with a cabinet full of medals. Most of the players who played for those two wouldn’t douse them with their own urine if they were on fire. 

this amazing world class team big Ron built got relegated in 1990 and we finished a brilliant 3rd in the then division 2 the season after behind the mighty Oldham athletic. The idea we had Brazil 1970 on our hands is nonsense.

francis did a great job here as manager. 

I think we'd have won the title if we'd not had the extra League Cup fixtures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Ask ANYONE about his man management

Again I'd ask everyone reading this to show me one example of anyone who worked or played for Francis saying he was a good manager/man manager

But its not about that.  Its about the results on the pitch when he was here and the football produced and you can't argue with that.  What he did at QPR  is irrelevant.  What he did here that counts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It so is.

It's the very reason for the decline of his time here.

Basic truth mate

Is the table based on management or results? Big Ron(like I said previously, I am a fan of and clearly you are) was known to have good management but we got relegated.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Etchesketch said:

Is the table based on management or results? Big Ron(like I said previously, I am a fan of and clearly you are) was known to have good management but we got relegated.

By your logic then man management is totally irrelevant for football managers?

You do realise how ridiculous that is right?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

By your logic then man management is totally irrelevant for football managers?

You do realise how ridiculous that is right?

lol

Didn't say it was irrelevant.  Just think results and performances on the pitch are more important and during Francis reign they were the best I've seen.  Were they the best you saw?