Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

Just now, Etchesketch said:

Them statistics are't correct either.  He didnt manage that many games at QPR and the dates on it coincide when he had already signed for Wednesday as a player.

FFS really?

lol

I got em off managerstats.com I think

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's true. We won't.

Because we hired the wrong manager, slipped down the league, replaced our good players with dross, everyone fell out, we started getting battered and then he got rightly sacked off.

lol

You've got a big problem with Francis haven't you? Managers since have replaced good players with dross as well..  In all likelihood we were going to slipdown the League as we came third in the top flight,. Can't remember any more batterings than any other team may get.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's true. We won't.

Because we hired the wrong manager, slipped down the league, replaced our good players with dross, everyone fell out, we started getting battered and then he got rightly sacked off.

lol

That’s a selective answer, I note you didn’t argue with the other points I made. To quote some one here, they are FACT.

And no team remains at the top forever, just like at the powershifts in the prem over the last 10 years. 
12 months ago no football fan would have said Poccetino would have been sacked and Spurs would be below United in the league. 
But that’s sport, there are many factors and no guarantees. 

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

That’s a selective answer, I note you didn’t argue with the other points I made. To quote some one here, they are FACT.

And no team remains at the top forever, just like at the powershifts in the prem over the last 10 years. 
12 months ago no football fan would have said Poccetino would have been sacked and Spurs would be below United in the league. 
But that’s sport, there are many factors and no guarantees. 

To be fair I think if I'd inherited Big Ron's side I would have had good results

The team basically ran itself back then

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair I think if I'd inherited Big Ron's side I would have had good results

The team basically ran itself back then

To say the team ran itself will be true in many walks of life, but there’s a management structure in place for a reason.

And if you had inherited Rons team, there’s no guarantee you would have signed Warhurst and Waddle, and we would t have had our days at Wembley. And in this hypothetical world I hold you entirely responsible for that.

Although I suppose your next retort will be about how we’d have won the league and had more heady nights at Camp Nou via Stadio Olympico  and Rajko Mitic.

Maybe you’d have made sure Palmer didn’t try to cut Jan Molby in half 10 minutes into the opening day of the season against an entirely beatable LFC.  He was a big part of that team that ran itself.

Anyway I’ve got some work to do  now, I’ll try to catch up later as this one isn’t going to go away is it.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

20 hours ago, Plonk said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but things were going wrong. He was replacing good players with average players. Where as Pleat came in replaced good players with poo, and average players with poo. The rest is typical Wednesday history. So near and yet so far. Still gave me some of my best memories. Four trips to Wembley in one season. You tell the kids of today about that. 

Pleat signed some very good players. Degryse, Nicol, Stefanovic, Kovacevic, Blinker, Newsome, Carbone & Di Canio.

• Like 1

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Pleat signed some very good players. Degryse, Nicol, Stefanovic, Kovacevic, Blinker, Newsome, Carbone & Di Canio.

Oooooffff

Ronnie hits back with a slam dunk of a post BLOWING AWAY the theory that Francis should be deemed as some kind of hero for his signings

Owlstalk Shop

Apologies if its already been posted but the Undr The Cosh Podcast had Geoff Horsfield on a while ago. When Francis was Birmingham manager he went to fine Horsfield a weeks wage (I think) over not coming in for treatment. Anyway Horsfield goes into the office says I'm not paying it etc etc Francis caved and eventually says OK you can buy me a bottle of red.

I don't know if that's 100% the gospel truth, only two people do. Put it with some others questioning his man management and you can probably sense why his managerial career didn't really go anywhere, in the end. By all accounts a nice bloke but not a particularly strong character, when it came to managing people.

Just now, Gparrish said:

Apologies if its already been posted but the Undr The Cosh Podcast had Geoff Horsfield on a while ago. When Francis was Birmingham manager he went to fine Horsfield a weeks wage (I think) over not coming in for treatment. Anyway Horsfield goes into the office says I'm not paying it etc etc Francis caved and eventually says OK you can buy me a bottle of red.

I don't know if that's 100% the gospel truth, only two people do. Put it with some others questioning his man management and you can probably sense why his managerial career didn't really go anywhere, in the end. By all accounts a nice bloke but not a particularly strong character, when it came to managing people.

Does anyone also remember the incidents at QPR around the player wanting to be at the birth of his child?

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Gparrish said:

Was it Martin Allen? Think it was one of the Allen's

Found it

BLAST FROM THE PAST - MARTIN ALLEN

The most talked about episode from Martin Allen's career at Queens Park Rangers was not a match he played in … but one that he missed!

It was 20 years ago this month - on March 11th 1989. Rangers travelled north for a First Division fixture at Newcastle United and our squad stayed in a hotel overnight before the game.
Allen said: "I was sharing a room with our goalkeeper David Seaman. At two o'clock in the morning, David took a phone call from my dad saying that my wife Gabriella was about to give birth.

"I found out there was a flight back to London at 7.30am and I told our Assistant Manager Peter Shreeves. He said 'Before you leave, check that she's still in labour. And if you are going to go, then get on the plane and good luck. But check first.'

"I rang from the hotel at 6.00am and Gabriella was settling in at the Royal Berks Hospital. So I got the plane from Newcastle Airport and arrived at Heathrow about 8.30am. From there, I was in the hospital at 9.30am and our baby George was born at 12.15pm.

"I'll never forget the following Monday. I was just leaving for home after training when QPR Manager Trevor Francis handed me an envelope while I was getting in my car. I thought it was going to be a note of congratulations for having the baby. But it was a two week wages fine!

"It was quite shocking and disappointing. After that, my working relationship with Trevor broke down. I was eventually sold to West Ham a few months later.

"But I have no regrets about what happened. It was only human that I wanted to see the birth of my first child. Everyone has the right if they wish to do that - whether you are a footballer or whether you are a banker or a politician. It doesn't matter what you work as. You have that right.

"I still get phone calls from newspapers about the incident - even now. My name always crops up when any top sportsman chooses to attend the birth of a child. Or even when they opt to stay and perform in their chosen sport when the wife is in labour.

And what about the situation back in 1989 with Trevor Francis and the birth of baby George? Did that ever resolve itself?

Allen said: "Several years later, I played for West Ham away to Sheffield Wednesday - when Trevor Francis was Manager at Hillsborough. I got badly injured in the game, with cracked ribs and a punctured lung.

"I was rushed away in an ambulance as I was struggling to breathe and in a pretty bad way. About 10.30pm that night, there was a phone call to my ward at the hospital in Sheffield.
"The nurse came over and said 'Trevor Francis from Sheffield Wednesday just rang. He enquired how you are and if you are healthy.'

"Well at that point, I had to pinch myself to see if I was still alive. Because it was the first time that Trevor had communicated with me since I left the QPR team hotel at Newcastle!"

Owlstalk Shop

Harkes,  Shirtliff, King, Pearson, Palmer.

Ask them about his man managment.

Not always hindsight. My alarm bells were ringing at a club record fee for a shot stopper when we had two excellent goalies on the books.

But it's all water under the bridge. 

The football was excellent for a while, probably the best we've seen attacking wise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Ask ANYONE about his man management

Again I'd ask everyone reading this to show me one example of anyone who worked or played for Francis saying he was a good manager/man manager

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Not always hindsight. My alarm bells were ringing at a club record fee for a shot stopper when we had two excellent goalies on the books.

But it's all water under the bridge. 

The football was excellent for a while, probably the best we've seen attacking wise. 

Francis asked Pearson what the players thought of him.  HIs response wasn't favourable!