Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

On 24/10/2020 at 10:11, Eightace said:

He attracted some good players to the club.

Maybe he started getting a smaller budget? Can't understand why he was signing England players one season and very average players the next.

He had to go but overall i liked him.

Richards got cold feet and pulled the plug. If we had built on what we had who knows. The major problem we have always had is little or no commercial money coming in and low level sponsorship think that was major problem in competing long term with the big boys . Also to be factored in our youth system produced very little in the mid nineties to bolster our squad or bring in fees.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I disagree

Booth was ok as a player, just not as a goal scorer. Pembridge and Rudi were good. Collins ,Trustfull and Blondeau were ok from what i remember. Magilton was a good player but just didn't fit in at Wednesday.

You can't have all superstars, most clubs had average joe's.

Not the best players we ever had i'll admit.

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He was a STRIKER mate

His whole/only job up front was to score goals

lol

I know lol  

He was useless as a striker but i liked him and i think in general most fans liked him. He didn't get half the stick players get today.

He was a grafter and did add something ,just not goals 🙂

Although performances were starting to fade, I would have given him a one year extension together with a clear target that there would be a break clause after Christmas if things weren't going well by then. At least that would have given the board the chance to think properly about who would replace him if required. If I remember correctly, when he was sacked, the line from the club was that the new manager "would be a top professional with an international reputation" - David Pleat?

And looking back, there have only been three times in my life watching Wednesday when there was real excitement. The first half of the 1960s, the mid 1980s when we got promoted and played under Howard Wilkinson and the Big Ron and Trevor Francis days in the early 1990s when we had a team of players which could beat anyone on the day. 4 times down to Wembley and yes, we only won one. Most would settle for that with the disaster of a club we are now.

• Like 1