Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

I rated Francis as both a player (when he first came on in one of our shirts) he looked like that kid in the school team who you knew could "do it" and everyone else  was an extra in the show ...

In time he lifted our team up several levels with his influence..

As a manager he made a few mistakes but also gave us some of the best of quality games /moments I've seen in my many years following this club...

He must have walked into someones house shat on the hearth rug 

Pissed all over the records and shagged the beloved pomeranian. 

To think he's that bad a contribution to Wednesday history ?.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Theboylangers

I wanted Francis out in the end but surely nobody can dispute that he gave us some of the best times as Wednesday fans. 

And as a player, phenomenal, even at 38.

Pleat and Wilson did the damage. Both useless. Especially Wilson. 

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He did the exact opposite mate.

He tore it down, set fire to it, pee'd all over it, and left us all with the wet ashes of it.

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the distinct impression you don't like Francis! 

We always got the line ‘ it’s big Ron’s team ‘ when Francis’s team did well , don’t people realise big Ron as good a manager as he was took big Ron’s team down . Nilsson, Pearson , king, worthington, Palmer, Sheridan and hirst went from relegated under Ron to qualifying for Europe under TF that says to me he knew what he was doing. He also bought some of the best players this club has ever had who added to what big ron and wilko had done before gave us some of the best times and football we’ve ever seen . I also believe as the game changed Francis’s connections that helped bring the likes of waddle, Walker and Petrescu to the club would have been invaluable. I will always be grateful to trev for the times and memories he gave us and thought when he left it was a case of ‘ be careful what you wish for ‘ and sadly looks like I was right , as someone said earlier we’ve had few better and many many more worse 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Owen Morrison would be a club legend if he'd scored 50 goals a season during his time here.

See how that kind of logic works?

It's not though. We lost a cup final in the 120th minute. We were so close.

Owen Morrison didn't even make double figures in a season.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

My main memory of Trevor Francis is wondering just how good he was in his prime as a player. Because when he played for us he was brilliant. Fantastic signing by Atkinson. 

I remember a couple of games when we were losing and he came on from the bench and just dominated proceedings the rest of the way like Waddle would a couple of years later. Every time he got the ball, effortlessly drifting past defenders and setting up chances. And by then he was an old codger. Always felt he should have scored more often for us, but still a big difference maker.

One thing I used to hear was “If big Ron had of been in charge for those two cup finals, we would have won one of them at least”

They May be true, it’s all hypothetical anyway. Would big Ron have purchased Waddle? Probably not.

I too thought it was the right time to let Francis go, but his time at Hillsborough should be remembered fondly.

He brought in some wonderful players and we played some wonderful football. I don’t think Francis can be blamed for Wednesday losing 2 cup finals. It wasn’t like Arsenal outplayed us. They were all close games and it took a monumental error by Woods which lost us the FA cup final.

To the people knocking Trevor, what exactly could he have done better in those first two seasons. I think it’s fair to say 3rd place for us was pretty good, as was 2 cup finals.

In hindsight, one of Trevors biggest errors, was not selling Hirst. Yes it would have been very unpopular, but after 92/93 Hirst was past his best. He had 1 decent  season a few years later. 

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Put the pins and the voodoo doll down and make yourself a brew, all this hate is not doing you any good!

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Put the pins and the voodoo doll down and make yourself a brew, all this hate is not doing you any good!

Francis wore orange  replica replica shirts mate 

He paid 40 quid for each one

*cunning plan to get hirstyboywonder on my side*

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Francis wore orange  replica replica shirts mate 

He paid 40 quid for each one

*cunning plan to get hirstyboywonder on my side*

Wouldn't surprise me based on the way he spent our money from the summer of 93 to 1995.