Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

On 19/05/2020 at 13:54, DJMortimer said:

Even at that time, the debts were starting to mount and would have caught up to us in all but the most exceptional circumstances.

We wouldn't have been in the state we were in if the board (Richards) had kept Atkinson on the second time round, as we wouldn't have been relegated and it was also about the time that the huge TV deals started to come, of which we missed out on.

On 19/05/2020 at 14:03, Stoop said:

Should have gone for Dalglish before he went to Blackburn 

Hillsborough and disaster spring to mind and he has openly said that he would never work for the club. He didn't even come back for the making of the numerous documentaries about it

On 19/05/2020 at 15:02, LondonOwl313 said:

We still haven't recovered to anywhere near the same levels... think it's harsh to blame him though as we had 3 more managers and 5 more seasons before going down. I can't pin the demise down to any one individual, they all had parts to play. It usually comes down to money because we never seem able to compete for the best players... a part of that is that we never sell anyone for a good fee even back then. Kept Waddle, Sheridan, Hirst, Walker etc until they were finished or didn't command much of a fee... then let Carbone run down his contract and sold Di Canio on the cheap too. When you raise no funds to reinvest it's no wonder that the replacements are all cheap garbage. Much like what has happened post 2016 too

He rushed Hirst back from the Steve Bould injury which resulted in tendinitis and the rest as they say is history 

On 20/05/2020 at 12:17, @owlstalk said:

I've never in all my time of running this football forum ever ever EVER heard anyone say that man management in football management is irrelevant

Mind bending stuff

Totally agree Man Management in any business football or roofing is key to the success of the business as it's your people/players that deliver what you want

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Francis won NOTHING as a manager 

He left the club in a mess 

Pressman - towards the end, strikers knew to just pass the ball down low to his left or right knowing if they did it would be a goal. 

Bullen - keep hating on him mate. Keep mocking. In years to come people will see the contribution he’s made. Winning captain, played in every single outfield position, coach, assistant manager, and stints as actual manager. The only thing he’s not done is physio. But keep mocking I don’t care!

I'm now convinced you are Bullen 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Haven't you just answered your own question? Jemson was making a bit of a name for himself at the time and was on the face of it a decent signing. As it turned out, apart from a spell towards the end of his time here, he didn't work out. But that's a different issue. We also had Gordon Watson who turned out to be the better option in the long run. 

He started the first up front, but we lost our first three centre backs to injury so had little option but to move him back. Made much more sense to bring in Hirst up front instead of someone like Watts or Stewart in defence.

If i have answered my own question the answer wasn't Jemson.  Dean Saunders more like:)

Re Warhust, Francis initially brought him in as a centre back as we only had three and were looking to strengthen that position.  Wrong choice for me (as a centre back) but, regardless of that, once he was converted into a striker we should have signed a centre back as we were back to only having three and injuries would leave us short in that position.  It came back to bite us in the Finals.

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

We wouldn't have been in the state we were in if the board (Richards) had kept Atkinson on the second time round, as we wouldn't have been relegated and it was also about the time that the huge TV deals started to come, of which we missed out on.

Because Joodas was really successful after he left us. 

Edited by rickygoo

Just now, rickygoo said:

Cause Joodas was really successful after he left us. 

Call him what you will and I was as pissed off as the rest when he left us - He is the best manager we have had since Harry Catterick and brought the club kicking and screaming into the modern era.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

5 years after Dave Richards left Sheffield Wednesday were still in the financial mire

Should be excuse everything HE did too?

Everyone should read the book Sheffield Wednesday in the Modern era, it's eye opening and written without blue tinted specs on. Dave Richards should never be allowed back into the club for what he did to us.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Because Joodas was really successful after he left us. 

Judas?

Ron Atkinson?

Really?

You've clearly not read up on the facts

There's a book by Tom Whitworth you should read that details exactly what really did happen

Big Ron Judas? Nope.

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Judas?

Ron Atkinson?

Really?

You've clearly not read up on the facts

There's a book by Tom Whitworth you should read that details exactly what really did happen

Big Ron Judas? Nope.

He's worse.

I wrote to him.  "Mr Atkinson," I said, "People are comparing you to Judas Iscariot but he only betrayed Jesus Christ. You, Mr Atkinson, have done far worse. You have betrayed Sheffield Wednesday Football Club."

Didn't even show me the courtesy of replying. 

WTF:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Call him what you will and I was as pissed off as the rest when he left us - He is the best manager we have had since Harry Catterick and brought the club kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Big Jack will be turning on his fishing stool. 

He was a busted flush when he left us for the second time. Yesterday's man as was shown with his disastrous spell at Forest and his subsequent retirement. 

Think if Atkinson would stayed 2nd time it probably would have only been for another season. Apart from a brief fee months at Forest he retired afterwards.

Yes in hindsight keeping Atkinson for another year was a better option then Danny Wilson.

If we didnt get relegated in 2000 it probably would have happened within a couple of seasons after that due the off field of the debt getting out of hand.

32 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Big Jack will be turning on his fishing stool. 

He was a busted flush when he left us for the second time. Yesterday's man as was shown with his disastrous spell at Forest and his subsequent retirement. 

He would have kept us up and strengthened the team whilst keeping the better players at the club - something Wilson was incapable of. 

I loved the Big Jack era but the standard of football Atkinson played was far better than Big Jack's I'm afraid

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if Atkinson would stayed 2nd time it probably would have only been for another season. Apart from a brief fee months at Forest he retired afterwards.

Yes in hindsight keeping Atkinson for another year was a better option then Danny Wilson.

If we didnt get relegated in 2000 it probably would have happened within a couple of seasons after that due the off field of the debt getting out of hand.

The big TV deals were just beginning to land and if we had stayed up for another 2 seasons the off field debt would have been managed and we would also have been entitled to parachute payments if we had maintained our PL status for another few years

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

No! It just irritates me that people don’t see how he wrecked our squad and left the club on a tragic downward spiral

Just my opinion and I’m glad to be proven wrong as always but heard nothing in this thread yet to say I’m wrong.

As for the only posting stuff to keep more owlstalk readers coming well that’s always a sign that people have nothing else to offer to the debate. Water off a ducks back and incorrect. We don’t need more more owlstalk readers, aren’t chasing it and it’s always a lack of facts to add to a debate when anyone comes out with that one

lol

I never mentioned anything about just posting stuff

as for your opinion that Francis was a crap manager it's just that, your opinion, in my opinion you are wrong.

I'm not saying he didn't leave the club in a worse state than when he inherited it as most managers do, but he gave us the most entertaining side that I have watched in 47 years. Give me those days anytime compared to us winning the 3rd division (or whatever it was) playoff after finishing 5th in the league, 26 points behind the champions and calling that success.

As for Lee Bullen, lovely bloke but can't understand this obsession that he played in every position for us, he was a bang average defender at best and just happened to play all over the park when we were short. I can't really comment on his coaching ability but he's not exactly pulling up trees is he.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

As for Lee Bullen, lovely bloke but can't understand this obsession that he played in every position for us, he was a bang average defender at best and just happened to play all over the park when we were short. I can't really comment on his coaching ability but he's not exactly pulling up trees is he.

I agree with that bit 100%