Semedo

If he's put two stone on, lost 15 yards of pace and lost his right foot to gangrene I would still play him now in front of certain defensive midfielders at the club.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, trev said:

Dream team.

Semedo does the team talks and Loovens does the dancing.

Love it!!!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

At the time he was getting some proper hate from our fans, calling him slow, shouting for him to be gotten rid of.

I didn’t necessarily mean for on the pitch contributions.

If only Sheffield Wednesday had some form of tangible entity with offices and staff working in it and some means of communicating with them, rather than just hoping one day a call will come through to your phone with those magic words.

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

If only Sheffield Wednesday had some form of tangible entity with offices and staff working in it and some means of communicating with them, rather than just hoping one day a call will come through to your phone with those magic words.

How do you mean?

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

At the time he was getting some proper hate from our fans, calling him slow, shouting for him to be gotten rid of.

Don't recall him getting proper hate? The talk was we needed to get better players if we wanted to progress as his best day's were behind him but I don't recall hate coming into it? 

8 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I didn’t necessarily mean for on the pitch contributions.

3 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Don't recall him getting proper hate? The talk was we needed to get better players if we wanted to progress as his best day's were behind him but I don't recall hate coming into it? 

I agree with these points. At his best ability wise he was probably a mid-table Championship player. He was a force for us in getting out of League One and maintaining our Championship status after that.

Under Chansiri there was an acknowledgement that we needed better and some frustration at him in occasional games but no hate. It was clear we were moving on from having him in the side as he played less and less as time went on.

I would have liked to have seen him offered a player coaching contract due to his limited game time, it seems likely that he will remain in the game once he hangs his boots up, whether he would have accepted this at that time is another matter. It wasn't going to be worth offering him any sort of decent contract as a player only as he would hardly ever have featured but I have said many times that his loss to the dressing room (and that of Loovens to a lesser extent) has played a key role in our recent decline. 

Every club needs leaders who are able to keep the squad pulling in the same direction and keeping the majority positive even if they aren't involved and we don't seem to have that anymore.  

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 08.13.50.jpg

Carlos side of the story saying he tried to contact him about a new contract

“I tried to call him one or two times and some colleagues also," claimed Carvalhal. “He didn’t reply.

“In this period of his career, if he has the chance to do a very good contract I think it will be good to him.

“I understand that and I support him about that. At this moment, I don’t know what the situation is."

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 08.13.09.jpg

Jose Semedo's side of the story

He said: "I was waiting for someone to call me to say let's talk about your situation.

"All I wanted to do was play for Sheffield Wednesday. I couldn't see myself with another club but no one called me about renewing my contract.

"I was very disappointed. It was the hardest time in my career.

"It was the most difficult time because I didn't deserve, for what I did for the club, to be treated like that. I felt it was unfair and a big, big punch.

"I was always 100 per cent committed to the club and gave everything in training and in the games."

Semedo said he would have taken a pay cut to remain an Owl.

"If I had been offered a new contract, I would have stayed 100 per cent," he added.

Wrong phone number? 

Guest Bulgaria
21 hours ago, nickswfc said:

It's probably something as stupid as Carlos ringing on a withheld number, or Semedo deleting notifications before seeing a missed call. Or some other half arsed scenario.

My guess is neither of them were that bothered whether he stayed or not.

If Carlos really wanted him to stay I fail to believe there was no way of getting hold of him.

If Semedo really wanted to stay, why sit and wait for a call, make the call yourself.

This.

On 14/05/2020 at 08:21, EcclesallOwl said:

He wasn’t good enough if we wanted to progress

The problem wasn’t letting him go, the problem was not replacing him with better quality and that type of character.

Agree with this.
Has a good few seasons with us, good rapport with the crowd and deserved a good send off but time had come for him to move on.

I blame the agent on this.

Usually, they are quicker off the mark than Ben Johnson to get into the club's ribs about contracts etc.....

What else do they get their commission for if it's not for letting scenarios like this happen..

Was Carlos really in a position where he could pick up the phone and negotiate a new contract? Did he have that level authority?

Yeah, he might have called him to discuss his plans and where the player sits within that plan but surely contract offers and negotiations happen between a CEO (for example) and the players agent.