Wednesday & Utd Combined XI Since 1990

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Kyle Walker in front of Roland Nilsson.   What planet are you on?

With the exception of the goalkeeper, that team could only comprise of Wednesday players. 

of course we'll all go for nilsson just as the blunts will for walker …..I would think that 99%  of neutrals would vote for walker .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

of course we'll all go for nilsson just as the blunts will for walker …..I would think that 99%  of neutrals would vote for walker .

Based on his time at Man City, not United.

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

With that logic the goalkeeper for this team would be Bruce Grobbelaar.

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Based on his time at Man City, not United.

true but if that's the criteria then they'll all be Wednesday players coz for many years once the blunts got anyone any good they sold them …...players like walker , Jagielka ,brooks ,lowton,maguire  etc etc have made there name after leaving them .

Just now, torryowl said:

true but if that's the criteria then they'll all be Wednesday players coz for many years once the blunts got anyone any good they sold them …...players like walker , Jagielka ,brooks ,lowton,maguire  etc etc have made there name after leaving them .

Agreed and that’s why (if this side were being put together by a national journalist as opposed to a local one who just wants to please each set of fans) every player should be a Wednesday player.

If we can include achievements and performances at other clubs then there’d be arguments to include Steve Nicol, Trevor Francis, Bruce Grobalaar, Viv Anderson, Stuart Ripley, Paul McGrath and Dean Saunders.

I guess if I had to look at this objectively then I will admit that Alan Kelly was a good keeper, particularly that day at Wembley, and Deane got England caps and 39 top flight goals in 3 seasons in a poor side before getting his big money move so would have to be in the frame.

Team might look different in a few years time, if they were able to consolidate themselves in the Premier League. But one season that doesn't exist with a player who doesn't belong to them isn't much of a criteria.

This is garbage. If the Stir want to appease both sets of fans, which they are clearly trying to do, there have been better centre backs at United than Morgan who was just an untalented thug. The fact that he was revered at the Stain says everything you need to know about their fan base. The only position that any sensible journalist could consider picking a United player would be in goal. As many have said, the starting point should the 93 team and then tweak it if there any positions that could be improved, e.g. Walker.

10 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I guess if I had to look at this objectively then I will admit that Alan Kelly was a good keeper, particularly that day at Wembley, and Deane got England caps and 39 top flight goals in 3 seasons in a poor side before getting his big money move so would have to be in the frame.

Team might look different in a few years time, if they were able to consolidate themselves in the Premier League. But one season that doesn't exist with a player who doesn't belong to them isn't much of a criteria.

Brian Deane is the only player they have had in my lifetime who I have genuinely ever really rated as a top quality player.

He’s the reason Mark Bright never gets a look in when these sides are discussed which is compliment enough considering Bright consistently scored 20 goals a season in the top flight.

I’d have loved to have seen him in a Wednesday shirt.

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Agreed and that’s why (if this side were being put together by a national journalist as opposed to a local one who just wants to please each set of fans) every player should be a Wednesday player.

If we can include achievements and performances at other clubs then there’d be arguments to include Steve Nicol, Trevor Francis, Bruce Grobalaar, Viv Anderson, Stuart Ripley, Paul McGrath and Dean Saunders.

again that's true but these players that made there name at the blunts did so because they were good  young players who went on to better things ….its always been the case that the blunts have always cashed in on any talent they have produced going back to jones and birchenall in the 60s right thru to maguire and brooks . that to me as always been the difference between the 2 clubs we try to  keep our best players for as long as possible so it stands to reason that in a composite team ours will dominate . 

Guest LondonOwl313

One thing I find interesting about this thread is that practically every player named is from the 90s, excluding players that people are putting forward based on their achievements after they left Sheffield. 

Might just be me but the standard of PL football now seems much higher than it was back then. I have a hard time thinking players like Danny Sonner, Scott Oakes, Lee Briscoe, Jon Newsome etc would be anywhere near a premier league squad now. So I think the game has moved on and improved. 

I still think the Wednesday 93 team would make up the bulk of the combined team but I don’t think it’s that cut and dried. Think the current Utd team would give them a good game and we aren’t as far ahead as we’d like to imagine we are 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

One thing I find interesting about this thread is that practically every player named is from the 90s, excluding players that people are putting forward based on their achievements after they left Sheffield. 

Might just be me but the standard of PL football now seems much higher than it was back then. I have a hard time thinking players like Danny Sonner, Scott Oakes, Lee Briscoe, Jon Newsome etc would be anywhere near a premier league squad now. So I think the game has moved on and improved. 

I still think the Wednesday 93 team would make up the bulk of the combined team but I don’t think it’s that cut and dried. Think the current Utd team would give them a good game and we aren’t as far ahead as we’d like to imagine we are 

Oh, the current Wednesday team would kill the '93 team, never mind the current United one. The players are so much fitter and better drilled - just look at some of the old season videos and how many free headers players used to get in the box, terrible first touches, goals scored from simple long balls forward, etc. And even if they weren't more skilful they would just run them off the park.

But that doesn't really matter. But you have to judge players against their peers, especially when you're picking an all-time team. Otherwise you would end up saying Marcus Rashford is better than Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Charlton for England.

So, basically when you've got one club who started in 1990 in the top division and came 13th, 9th, 14th and then every other season is in the lower leagues or getting relegated from the Prem, and other who spent all the 90s in the top division, apart from one promotion season (and wining the only trophy of note between both teams) - then basically you have to pick this whole team from the 90s. Unless there was some sort of absolute legend playing in the lower leagues, year after year standing out as top quality - and no-one springs to mind in that category, least of all Chris Morgan.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Oh, the current Wednesday team would kill the '93 team, never mind the current United one. The players are so much fitter and better drilled - just look at some of the old season videos and how many free headers players used to get in the box, terrible first touches, goals scored from simple long balls forward, etc. And even if they weren't more skilful they would just run them off the park.

But that doesn't really matter. But you have to judge players against their peers, especially when you're picking an all-time team. Otherwise you would end up saying Marcus Rashford is better than Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Charlton for England.

So, basically when you've got one club who started in 1990 in the top division and came 13th, 9th, 14th and then every other season is in the lower leagues or getting relegated from the Prem, and other who spent all the 90s in the top division, apart from one promotion season (and wining the only trophy of note between both teams) - then basically you have to pick this whole team from the 90s. Unless there was some sort of absolute legend playing in the lower leagues, year after year standing out as top quality - and no-one springs to mind in that category, least of all Chris Morgan.

Well that makes sense but it’s then not a case of what’s the best ever combined side it’s the best ever relative to the standard at the time. Which is another question entirely.

I also don’t think the current Wednesday team is better than our premier league days. The 2016 side was better than our last few years in the prem with the exception of Di Canio and Carbone. 

I rewatched the 91 cup final on youtube and the standard was poor. Neither side really turned up on the day but if you compare that to the better sides now it’s like night and day. Liverpool and Man City are far better than anything there was in the 90s including the Man Utd treble team. The speed at which the ball moves now is a lot quicker 

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Take a look at some of the average stuff in sides like Watford, Burnley, Palace, Huddersfield, etc over the past few years. Chris Basham is a regular in a side in the top half FFS!

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Pressman

Nilsson

Pearson

Walker

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Di Canio

Hirst

Bright

Subs: Kelly, Walker, Thome, Whitehouse, Carbone, Deane, Warhurst 

And I’m trying to be nice to the swine here.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

Woods 

Nilsson Walker Pearson

Palmer            Sheridan        

Waddle           Carbone            Di Canio

Hirst           Bright

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

He didn’t win those trophies at United though, he didn’t even play in the top division at United.

If the criteria for this side can include what players did at other clubs, we can also through Trevor Francis, Steve Nicol and Viv Anderson into the side.

True. Otherwise the pigs could have Ian Rush up front