Wednesday & Utd Combined XI Since 1990

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If anything, improving athleticism from a low base is the easy part.. modern nutrition and fitness plans would make the prior generation the same as this one because there’s no evolution over such a short time period.

So it is hard to compare.. but one other area that’s changed is the number of foreign players. The money has attracted the worlds best. So modern football teams would usually beat ones from the 90s even if fitness was improved. But it’s most obvious at the top end, the Man City’s and Liverpool’s.. I don’t think Utd are anywhere near that level. They’re a great team as a unit with a top manager but they don’t really have the flair that some of our players had in the past.

My Wednesday team over the period would be:

Woods

Nilsson 

Walker

Pearson

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Carbone

Hirst

Di Canio

My Utd team would basically be this seasons team plus Brian Deane:

Henderson

Basham

Egan

O’Connell

Baldock

Stevens

Lundstrom

Norwood

Fleck

Mousset

Deane

I really can’t make much of a case for any of those Utd players to be in ahead of the Wednesday ones. Maybe in a years time if they’ve had 2 finishes in the top 8 Henderson or one of the defenders could break in but that’s it

Your Wednesday side is pretty close to what most fans would name. To be honest I struggle with naming a Utd team as I am loath to watching them on TV. Have only seen the occasional highlights but am pretty confident that Roland, with over 100 caps for Sweden, is far superior to Stevens. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

John Fleck over Phil Jagielka is an insult

Phil Jagielka has been their best player since the start of the millennium. It was not surprising that he stayed in the Premiership when they were relegated. He was far too good for that Sheffield United team

Any combined XI has got to include Phil Jagielka in the side, whether that's centre half or central midfield. Jagielka and Sheridan would be a fabulous pairing for a dream team since the 90's. 

11 hours ago, katie melua said:

John Fleck over Phil Jagielka is an insult

Phil Jagielka has been their best player since the start of the millennium. It was not surprising that he stayed in the Premiership when they were relegated. He was far too good for that Sheffield United team

Any combined XI has got to include Phil Jagielka in the side, whether that's centre half or central midfield. Jagielka and Sheridan would be a fabulous pairing for a dream team since the 90's. 

I put jagielka in then felt awful and reverted to Thome. Played in better teams

Guest The Horse

If it's 1990, Dalian Atkinson was still playing for us and pissess all over Brian Deane from a great height.

More skill, pace and power in Dalian's little toe than Deane could ever dare dream of.