Wednesday & Utd Combined XI Since 1990

Henderson

Nilsson Walker Maguire Walker 

Waddle Brown Sheridan Carbone

Deane       Hirst 

Subs Westwood, Di Canio, Fleck, Thome,  Brooks , Bent, Ndlovu

I’ve tried to mix it up but I still think the majority of the strongest XI on paper would be ours due to the premier league era. Put Deane ahead of Di Canio but that’s debateble. Pembridge and Palmer could’ve had Browns place. Wouldn’t put Devlin, Tongue etc above Waddle or Carbone. 

I think they’ve had some genuinely good defenders though. 

Shows how much they continue to punch  

Edited by Bluesteel

Just now, Bluesteel said:

Henderson

Deane       Hirst 

Subs Westwood, Di Canio, Fleck, Thome,   Stevens, Bent, Ndlovu

I’ve tried to mix it up but I still think the majority of the strongest XI on paper would be ours due to the premier league era. Put Deane ahead of Di Canio but that’s debateble.

In terms of their achievements at the Sheffield clubs only, then Deane clearly merits being chosen above Di Canio who was only here for about 50 appearances. I'd have Bright ahead of him too for the same reason, and certainly before Bent.

I realise you were trying to be accomodating to the unwashed, but there's no way Brown rates better than Palmer though and Ndlovu seems a bit left-field. Henderson seems slightly premature as well, although there's no doubt he's a good keeper and I'm not convinced Kyle Walker played enough games to be seen as the best overall in that position.

I wouldn't have Woods anywhere near the team, he'd be behind Pressman and Kelly before Henderson is even brought into the debate. 

Di Canio is possibly the best footballer to have played in this city since the 90s but wasn't around long enough if you make the team based purely on what they did whilst at either club. You could exclude Walker for the same reason who has probably had the best career out of anybody mentioned so far. 

Guest Grandad
On 01/05/2020 at 18:31, trev said:

I'm sorry but on which planet is a keeper who got 40+ caps for England not better than anything the pigs have had in net?

Ever.

Pathetic attempt at trying to please both sets of fans.

Wednesday team from early nineties.

The end.

I'm not being funny either, if it was team from last 18 months it would be pigs 11.

It's pretty simple.

How do you work that out? All of our players are better than Uniteds. If you don't think that - then you know nothing about football

- Dejphon Chansiri Dec 2018

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Henderson

Deane       Hirst 

Subs Westwood, Di Canio, Fleck, Thome,  Brooks , Bent, Ndlovu

I’ve tried to mix it up but I still think the majority of the strongest XI on paper would be ours due to the premier league era. Put Deane ahead of Di Canio but that’s debateble. Pembridge and Palmer could’ve had Browns place. Wouldn’t put Devlin, Tongue etc above Waddle or Carbone. 

I think they’ve had some genuinely good defenders though. 

Kyle Walker played around 30 games for United, most of them on loan and none of them in the top flight but you think that spell makes him the best left-back to play for either team since 1990? It doesn't matter what he has gone on to do since.

Same can be said for Maguire in terms of the level he played at for them.

David Brooks made 9 league starts for Sheffield United and is that Marcus Bent alongside him on the bench?

I'm glad you don't think Michael Tonge or Paul Devlin were better than Chris Waddle and Benito Carbone! Don't think that is something that many have ever considered debating.

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

In terms of their achievements at the Sheffield clubs only, then Deane clearly merits being chosen above Di Canio who was only here for about 50 appearances. I'd have Bright ahead of him too for the same reason, and certainly before Bent.

I realise you were trying to be accomodating to the unwashed, but there's no way Brown rates better than Palmer though and Ndlovu seems a bit left-field. Henderson seems slightly premature as well, although there's no doubt he's a good keeper and I'm not convinced Kyle Walker played enough games to be seen as the best overall in that position.

to be honest I’d struggle to fit United players in if it was on ability alone. But there has to be a mix somewhere hence putting in Bent who I thought was really impressive for them. Deane and Hirst were two of the best at that time.

But in terms of Brown who played in the premier for fulham doing the dirty work it would free Sheridan up quite nicely. If we are being honest we should just put down the Wednesday side of 1991-93

Ndlovu was pretty good for Coventry for a number of years. So it depends how it’s viewed.

I think Walker should easily be there given the level hes been playing at for city and England.

13 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Kyle Walker played around 30 games for United, most of them on loan and none of them in the top flight but you think that spell makes him the best left-back to play for either team since 1990? It doesn't matter what he has gone on to do since.

Same can be said for Maguire in terms of the level he played at for them.

David Brooks made 9 league starts for Sheffield United and is that Marcus Bent alongside him on the bench?

I'm glad you don't think Michael Tonge or Paul Devlin were better than Chris Waddle and Benito Carbone! Don't think that is something that many have ever considered debating.

I don’t think it matters how they did for United. It’s listing the best 11 who have played for each. 

if it makes you feel better we can just list all Sheffield Wednesday players as we have had better sides over the years but that’s not really the point is it twisty?

3 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Henderson and Westwood? Brown? That bench? 

I'll have what you're smoking. Only 1/10 as much as you or I fear I'll be dead by tomorrow 

I think the modern keepers are better than the ones in the 1990s.

Weve had better players than brown quite obviously but it seems a bit churlish to just pick Wednesday players from the 90s.

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think it matters how they did for United. It’s listing the best 11 who have played for each. 

if it makes you feel better we can just list all Sheffield Wednesday players as we have had better sides over the years but that’s not really the point is it twisty?

I read it as the best side that have played for both teams while playing for those teams. Don’t think the intention is to pick youth players who barely played a game but then went on to make it big elsewhere 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I read it as the best side that have played for both teams while playing for those teams. Don’t think the intention is to pick youth players who barely played a game but then went on to make it big elsewhere 

i suppose you can read it however you like. But he did play for them Didnt he?

14 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Of course it matters how they did for their respective teams! The Stir pundits have picked Morgan and Stevens - do you really think they beleive that these players have had better overall careers than say Walker and Maguire?

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think the modern keepers are better than the ones in the 1990s.

Weve had better players than brown quite obviously but it seems a bit churlish to just pick Wednesday players from the 90s.

It is not churlish - the idea is to pick the best performing players combined from Wednesday and United since 1990. It isn't a difficult concept to get your head around but you seem to be struggling - the fact is that we have had players who have performed better in most positions since 1990 than they have when picking a first 11. Simple.

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Of course it matters how they did for their respective teams! The Stir pundits have picked Morgan and Stevens - do you really think they beleive that these players have had better overall careers than say Walker and Maguire?

It is not churlish - the idea is to pick the best performing players combined from Wednesday and United since 1990. It isn't a difficult concept to get your head around but you seem to be struggling - the fact is that we have had players who have performed better in most positions since 1990 than they have when picking a first 11. Simple.

To be honest it’s not worth arguing about with you or anyone else. I put it together in about 2 mins. All of those players have played well for both sides and done well elsewhere too.

Did we and do we have the better players since 1990 yes, particularly in the early to mid 1990s. So if it makes you feel better I could’ve just put a Wednesday 11 out from 1990-1999. But I decided to put some of Uniteds in also because that was the whole fvvcking point. 

Edited by Bluesteel

Guest LondonOwl313
27 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

i suppose you can read it however you like. But he did play for them Didnt he?

He did but both Walker and Maguire did nothing at the Lane other than show some promise in the lower leagues. All of their achievements are after they left so on that basis they don’t make the 11

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

He did but both Walker and Maguire did nothing at the Lane other than show some promise in the lower leagues. All of their achievements are after they left so on that basis they don’t make the 11

Disagree. Just looking for technicalities to exclude United players. 

If it’s on achievement, they have a side challenging for Europe and by that token presumably some of them should be in it ahead of some of ours who were quality but didn’t. But I don’t think they are the best they’ve had in their side.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If it’s on achievement, they have a side challenging for Europe and by that token presumably some of them should be in it ahead of some of ours who were quality but didn’t. But I don’t think they are the best they’ve had in their side.

I said earlier in the thread that for the most part it’s between Wednesday’93 and Utd ‘20 sides but I’d still go with Wednesday ‘93. I was just trying to answer the question poised which is the best Sheffield X1 since 1990, not the best X1 to have been on the books at the Sheffield clubs but having played their best football elsewhere.

By your logic there’s no way that Hirst gets in in front of Di Canio if it’s purely on their overall career. Nobody outside of Sheffield would say pick him ahead of PDC. But since the question is how good they were in Sheffield then Hirst gets in every time 

Just now, Bluesteel said:

you'd think so but we don't watch them so have no idea how good (or bad) they are …...i'm sure if this thread was on a blunts forum it would be top heavy with there lot . 

29 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

To be honest it’s not worth arguing about with you or anyone else. I put it together in about 2 mins. All of those players have played well for both sides and done well elsewhere too.

Did we and do we have the better players since 1990 yes, particularly in the early to mid 1990s. So if it makes you feel better I could’ve just put a Wednesday 11 out from 1990-1999. But I decided to put some of Uniteds in also because that was the whole fvvcking point. 

The whole point is picking the best combined 11 from the period in question. During this period we had a squad that finished 3rd in the top flight, won a domestic cup, finished 7th in the top flight and got to 2 domestic cup finals. 

During the same 30 year period Utd have had a team in the top half of the top flight twice. If you think a few of their current players are better than the 11 we had during that period fair enough.

Then again you also think Marcus Bent is worthy of a place on the bench!

20 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I said earlier in the thread that for the most part it’s between Wednesday’93 and Utd ‘20 sides but I’d still go with Wednesday ‘93. I was just trying to answer the question poised which is the best Sheffield X1 since 1990, not the best X1 to have been on the books at the Sheffield clubs but having played their best football elsewhere.

By your logic there’s no way that Hirst gets in in front of Di Canio if it’s purely on their overall career. Nobody outside of Sheffield would say pick him ahead of PDC. But since the question is how good they were in Sheffield then Hirst gets in every time 

I think it can be done a range of ways, it’s just a bit of fun and some people get rattled if you try and do it in the spirit of it. We can all pick a best Wednesday side.

I don’t think my logic would exclude hirst at all. It’s just the best players we think played for both and some had brilliant careers here and others did well here and elsewhere it makes no difference. Hirst was capped and part of a trio with Shearer and Lineker as the main men. Di Canio wasn’t capped or given that recognition at home for example.