Wednesday & Utd Combined XI Since 1990

59 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The whole point is picking the best combined 11 from the period in question. During this period we had a squad that finished 3rd in the top flight, won a domestic cup, finished 7th in the top flight and got to 2 domestic cup finals. 

During the same 30 year period Utd have had a team in the top half of the top flight twice. If you think a few of their current players are better than the 11 we had during that period fair enough.

Then again you also think Marcus Bent is worthy of a place on the bench!

I think you’ve taken it in a much more

serious and partisan manner and pretty

much ignored everything I’ve said in response to you and others.

Edited by Bluesteel

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think you’ve taken it in a much more

serious and partisan manner and pretty

much ignored everything I’ve said in response to you and others.

I've simply taken it in the way it has been presented by the Star. It's not my fault that the period and remit they have chosen makes the side top-heavy with Wednesday players. 

Nice of you to make the remit more favourable to shoehorn some Utd players in though, especially Marcus Bent, undoubtedly his spell at Utd puts him among the top 3 strikers to play for either club in the past 30 years. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've simply taken it in the way it has been presented by the Star. It's not my fault that the period and remit they have chosen makes the side top-heavy with Wednesday players. 

Nice of you to make the remit more favourable to shoehorn some Utd players in though, especially Marcus Bent, undoubtedly his spell at Utd puts him among the top 3 strikers to play for either club in the past 30 years. 

We have had better strikers than Bent that I didn’t include. But I begrudgingly liked him, he never quite cut it at Everton though. It’s just a bit of fun!

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We have had better strikers than Bent that I didn’t include. But I begrudgingly liked him, he never quite cut it at Everton though. It’s just a bit of fun!

Indeed it is, your side has given me a laugh anyway. I also liked Marcus Bent when he hit the bar from 3 yards out in the derby.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Indeed it is, your side has given me a laugh anyway. I also liked Marcus Bent when he hit the bar from 3 yards out in the derby.

Yes, I think it was one of my favourite moments of his! 

I was really struggling to keep big Efan and Laurent D’Jaffo out of the dream 11.

Edited by Bluesteel

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yes, I think it was one of my favourite moments of his! 

I was really struggling to keep big Efan and Laurent D’Jaffo out of the dream 11.

Ha, I thought the Chief was OK for us for a bit but a mate of mine used to say he deliberately found himself a marker if he was in space so he didn't have to get the ball!

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ha, I thought the Chief was OK for us for a bit but a mate of mine used to say he deliberately found himself a marker if he was in space so he didn't have to get the ball!

I can’t remember what happened to him but his nonchalant goals against the blades were great moments, I’m not sure the first one even touched his head. 

I remember a slow motion worldie at home to Stockport County too. 

I did find it wierd that he would drift out wide to shield the ball and lay it off for us to cross it to no one as he trundled back in. A decent player who could’ve probably done more but at that stage of his career he CBA

Comparing players from different eras is always a tricky ask and it's probably not fair to do so.  Professional footballers these days are so much fitter than their predecessors.

And whilst the likes of Carlton Palmer, Chris Waddle and John Sheridan will always have a special place in many Wednesday fans' hearts, the harsh reality is that English football was in a bit of a state in the early nineties.

Post-2000, the club has missed out on this 'boom' period that has brought in a much higher standard of fitness and professionalism

You could put our early-nineties 'greats' (even in their peak years) up against a modern day era Premier League side and they'd run rings round us.

In recent years, the physical side of the sport and the preparation that goes into each game have reached levels of incredible intensity.

Sadly, players like Kyle Walker, Enda Stevens etc are in a different class to anything we've seen at Hillsborough.

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Comparing players from different eras is always a tricky ask and it's probably not fair to do so.  Professional footballers these days are so much fitter than their predecessors.

And whilst the likes of Carlton Palmer, Chris Waddle and John Sheridan will always have a special place in many Wednesday fans' hearts, the harsh reality is that English football was in a bit of a state in the early nineties.

Post-2000, the club has missed out on this 'boom' period that has brought in a much higher standard of fitness and professionalism

You could put our early-nineties 'greats' (even in their peak years) up against a modern day era Premier League side and they'd run rings round us.

In recent years, the physical side of the sport and the preparation that goes into each game have reached levels of incredible intensity.

Sadly, players like Kyle Walker, Enda Stevens etc are in a different class to anything we've seen at Hillsborough.

I think good players from any era would have adapted. 

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Fitness wise for many maybe but if you think ability wise Enda Stevens is in a different class to Roland Nilsson we will have to disagree.

Give me Carlton Palmer over Chris Basham every day of the week. 

If the likes of Waddle & Sheridan were professionals in this era they would have trained like the athletes in the top flight do these days and would have the added benefit of their ability. They were used to playing on potato fields in those days at times, imagine how their ability would flourish on todays carpet pitches. 

Guest LittleG
5 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

There's no way that Enda Stevens is in a different class to Roland, absolute no way. Just because players may be fitter today does not make them a better player; it's not all about being a better athlete.

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, LittleG said:

There's no way that Enda Stevens is in a different class to Roland, absolute no way. Just because players may be fitter today does not make them a better player; it's not all about being a better athlete.

If anything, improving athleticism from a low base is the easy part.. modern nutrition and fitness plans would make the prior generation the same as this one because there’s no evolution over such a short time period.

So it is hard to compare.. but one other area that’s changed is the number of foreign players. The money has attracted the worlds best. So modern football teams would usually beat ones from the 90s even if fitness was improved. But it’s most obvious at the top end, the Man City’s and Liverpool’s.. I don’t think Utd are anywhere near that level. They’re a great team as a unit with a top manager but they don’t really have the flair that some of our players had in the past.

My Wednesday team over the period would be:

Woods

Nilsson 

Walker

Pearson

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Carbone

Hirst

Di Canio

My Utd team would basically be this seasons team plus Brian Deane:

Henderson

Basham

Egan

O’Connell

Baldock

Stevens

Lundstrom

Norwood

Fleck

Mousset

Deane

I really can’t make much of a case for any of those Utd players to be in ahead of the Wednesday ones. Maybe in a years time if they’ve had 2 finishes in the top 8 Henderson or one of the defenders could break in but that’s it

My team

Kelly

Nillsen.     Walker   Jagielka. Hinchcliffe

Waddle.      Sheridan.   Palmer.     Brunt

Hirst.     Di Canio

You can put in Carbone, Degryse, Whelan, Thome,  Petrescu, Alexanderson before any more pig too

Edited by Stoop

9 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I'm sorry but to say that about Edna is stretching a point. He's had half a season in the top flight, Worthington played 10 years for us, of which 6 of those seasons we were performing at a high level. And don't get me started on the Walker v Nilsson debate

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If anything, improving athleticism from a low base is the easy part.. modern nutrition and fitness plans would make the prior generation the same as this one because there’s no evolution over such a short time period.

So it is hard to compare.. but one other area that’s changed is the number of foreign players. The money has attracted the worlds best. So modern football teams would usually beat ones from the 90s even if fitness was improved. But it’s most obvious at the top end, the Man City’s and Liverpool’s.. I don’t think Utd are anywhere near that level. They’re a great team as a unit with a top manager but they don’t really have the flair that some of our players had in the past.

This

On 02/05/2020 at 17:49, Bluesteel said:

Henderson

Nilsson Walker Maguire Walker 

Waddle Brown Sheridan Carbone

Deane       Hirst 

Subs Westwood, Di Canio, Fleck, Thome,  Brooks , Bent, Ndlovu

I’ve tried to mix it up but I still think the majority of the strongest XI on paper would be ours due to the premier league era. Put Deane ahead of Di Canio but that’s debateble. Pembridge and Palmer could’ve had Browns place. Wouldn’t put Devlin, Tongue etc above Waddle or Carbone. 

I think they’ve had some genuinely good defenders though. 

Shows how much they continue to punch  

Walker at left back? He's never played there lol