Ask Carlos

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Hes not as good as he thinks he is but nowhere near as bad as some on here make him out.

Luckiest manager we ever had

Came to the club and watched as the Chairman poured so much wealth into buying players that we were absolutely dripping with talent

Got paid a shedload to steer them in the right direction, and as the team were relatively new to the club and freshly motivated got to the playoff final 

After that it was downhill as the squad got more stale and aged, and couldn't handle the situation to the point where at the end he was screwing up £20 notes whilst the players dictated the dressing room and the club accelerated downhill until he was inevitably (and way too late) removed from his role.

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And fans replying with 'come back Carlos' and fawning over him as though he's just revealed the magical inner workings of his majestic tenure..

To his credit, the most charismatic manager since Big Ron, and really comes across as a lovable character. 

Football wise he bottled a great opportunity,  failed to improve the squad, and is in part responsible for the mess we're in today. But he's still got a magnetic personality, and sometimes that's all it takes to win some people over. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Luckiest manager we ever had

Came to the club and watched as the Chairman poured so much wealth into buying players that we were absolutely dripping with talent

Got paid a shedload to steer them in the right direction, and as the team were relatively new to the club and freshly motivated got to the playoff final 

After that it was downhill as the squad got more stale and aged, and couldn't handle the situation to the point where at the end he was screwing up £20 notes whilst the players dictated the dressing room and the club accelerated downhill until he was inevitably (and way too late) removed from his role.

Think that's a bit black and white. 

Did well first season and lost to a vastly superior and much higher paid Hull team.

Did just ok second season to get us fourth. No disgrace to finish behind Newcastle and Brighton. His limitations and tactical cowardice were shown up in the play offs. Still unlucky not to go up.

He should never have stayed for the next season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobness said:

To his credit, the most charismatic manager since Big Ron, and really comes across as a lovable character. 

Once you see through his bluster and self promoting nonsense he then appears no better than a TV salesman in Currys, ready to dive on you as you are walking round the store,and sell you an extended warranty you don't need and hadn't planned on purchasing..

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Once you see through his bluster and self promoting nonsense he then appears no better than a TV salesman in Currys, ready to dive on you and sell you an extended warranty you don't need and hadn't planned on purchasing..

C'mon mate leave it, he's had enough, calm down, calm down.

Sorry readers Owlstalk is stressing out with everything  whats going off at the moment.  He gets emotional.

10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

C'mon mate leave it, he's had enough, calm down, calm down.

Sorry readers Owlstalk is stressing out with everything  whats going off at the moment.  He gets emotional.

Well I for one agree with him, those blokes at currys are carpetbaggers.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Boils my p!ss when a supposed expert points to the fans, as a justification for incredibly poor decision making. DC did the same. It's not a good look

• Like 1

Carlos with someone to ensure the players are actually fit and someone to make sure we recruit players in the needed positions would make a good team

Guest oz_owl
5 minutes ago, bobness said:

Boils my p!ss when a supposed expert points to the fans, as a justification for incredibly poor decision making. DC did the same. It's not a good look

I don't think that's what he's saying, it's maybe a little lost in translation.

Rhodes had a track record until relatively recently before signing for us as being one of the best goalscorers seen in the Championship.  Abdi had been instrumental in getting Watford promoted and had played regularly for them in their first season back in the EPL - on the face of it he was exactly the type of creative goal-scoring midfielder we needed.

All he's saying is that people are quick to point to those two signings as expensive failures, and are now prime examples of why the club has declined.  But at the time most (obviously not 100%) fans were excited by those signings and they could have easily been the missing pieces we needed to be successful.

I don't think the overall strategy for recruitment has been good at all, but at the time I was very excited by both signings.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The best manager we’ve had in a long long while. The interview was pure Carlos, entertaining and irrelevant, but I still think we should have kept him. I’ve said many times, I didn’t like the football in year two, but you could see what he was trying to do. In fact, given that we failed to address the recruitment issues post Wembley, and the outrageous injury crisis, getting a 4th place finish was no mean feat. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hes simply stating that everyone thought they were good signings at the time.  

No they didn't

Some did and got giddy

Some questioned the signings as to whether they were needed, wanted, or value for money

Mixed bag 

He shouldn't state that everyone thought they were good signings - it's simply not true

Owlstalk Shop