Ask Carlos

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Article in The Athletic....

Feels the third season he should have changed things round to surprise other teams. Sticking to 442 was a mistake.

Also

My period in Sheffield, it was not an easy dressing room. It was not a difficult dressing room, but not easy. Like other clubs because you have different egos and different personalities. I am the manager, I am paid to do the job and one of the jobs that you must do is try to control and achieve a balance between the egos in the team. I know with my experience how important it is to have one or two players with leadership in the dressing room to control the egos.

“The reality is I was very happy when I was in Sheffield because I had the captain Glenn Loovens and also Jose Semedo who were really good captains of the team. Playing in the first XI or not, I know the importance of having these players in the dressing room.”

Likes Chansiri but there's a but

‘He is a very good person and he has learned a lot....I loved to work with him, he is the chairman in my life that I have had the best connection with.”

Not that it meant that the right players always ended up being signed, despite often good intentions, especially after the disbanding of the club’s transfer committee. “We achieved some very good players like Barry Bannan for free, Fernando Forestieri (for a reported £3 million) was very good business,” he explains. “Daniel Pudil was free also. After the end of the first season I gave the club a list of three players who were the best players from different clubs in the Championship that I wanted to bring but after this I know nothing, I gave it to the chairman. I know the chairman gave 100 per cent to try to bring the players in but it was very difficult to achieve that list and time was running out.

“The second season we signed players that were not my third option or fourth option, it was players that the advisers proposed. Sometimes we had to decide in the last two days of the transfer window to sign the players. It was really very hard, it is why the club made mistakes."

Re transfers, I think we all realised this was the case Carlos, even though at times, you were claiming you were responsible for all transfers Interesting that he gave a list of three players for that second season, exactly the number most on here thought we needed post Wembley. That we ended up with 15 players was totally bizarre, and to my mind at least, where things started to go wrong