Ask Carlos

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The sheer coincidence of someone posting that on the very same day that Carlos tweeted it, and it gets posted in the very same thread is staggeringly convenient

lol

We counter attacked with pace the first season. It really isn’t that hard to compare the 2 seasons. The second season we still had the quality to finish In the top 6 but, didn’t look anywhere near as attractive. It isn’t an excuse btw, It’s down to the manager to think ahead, be proactive and find an alternate way to play. Ultimately we made the play offs so wasn’t too bad was it?

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Just checked and we’d not won in 7, and sat in 15th. It was a fair shout that his job was under threat. Carlos was actually heading to Benfica before Swansea three money at him.  

Where are we now, how many have wen won of late. Monk didn't look like getting the boot before the virus kicked in, DC tends to stick by his managers for too long.

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

When Swansea knew he was on the edge, they made his agent aware they would be interested in talking, if and when the trigger was pulled. 

That’s the story. Not he ‘went for talks etc’. It’s a story that might not make fit in with the agenda, but we are where we are. 

If that's true then we've been lied to

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Where are we now, how many have wen won of late. Monk didn't look like getting the boot before the virus kicked in, DC tends to stick by his managers for too long.

He stuck with Jos around 11 months too long. 

• Haha 1

On 16/02/2018 at 15:01, @owlstalk said:

image.jpg.e389686f30867cdc2474fa2d1285212d.jpg

Swansea Boss Carlos Carvalhal has admitted holding talks with Swansea City in 2015, 2016 and again in 2017 (When he was finally appointed manager of The Swans)

Speaking to Wales Online, Carvalhal revealed he first spoke to Swansea in December 2015 after the club sacked Garry Monk and again in 2016, just before handing Francesco Guidolin.

He told Wales Online: “We spoke. I talked to the chairman at that time. “I think he liked our talk and my ideas but there was not an opportunity at that time to come. I had the feeling, and I think chairman had the same one, that we could work together in the future"

“As I understand they followed me for a long time. The style of the play and the way that we managed the club, they liked the way that we talked with the press and I know that they were analysing a lot of things"

“I know that because they told me. To me it was not a big surprise when I received an invitation" 

“For 48 hours it was crazy because a lot of invitations from clubs in England and different countries came. It was good because it means that the people were followers in what we did in the past and they were waiting for an opportunity to come to me"

Owlstalk Shop

One of Carlos’ strengths was he knew how to manage a dressing room. It’s clear it was challenging back then from his responses tonight, but he sorted it. 

Compare that to Monk who just freezes people out and reduces the quality of the squad as a result. 

• Haha 1

We have had worse managers than Carlos but ultimately he was the architect of his own downfall with his tactics at Wembley, and more importantly the following years semi.

All we had to do to reach the premier league was beat Huddersfield over two legs and Reading at Wembley but he bottled it to a staggering degree with that first leg performance at udders...……………..we were playing a team we had the wood over who were fielding a wet behind the ears keeper , and he set us up like we were Dinnington Town taking on 70,s era Ajax.

I am convinced the fear we showed in that first leg buoyed them for the second leg when they looked sharper, hungrier, and immeasurably fitter.

We are still paying the price now.

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You get one question to ask Carlos.........

To be fair your first couple of pages of quotes from this were people asking the same question and Carlos giving the same answer. Why not ask one yourself?

You could add this 'interesting 'fact to your Sheffield History pubs pages.....

Edited by Guest

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair your first couple of pages of quotes from this were people asking the same question and Carlos giving the same answer. Why not ask one yourself?

Because I've no desire to talk to him and listen to his self promoting drivel and fairy tales

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because I've no desire to talk to him and listen to his self promoting drivel and fairy tales

Happy to keep talking about him though.......

You could ask him why we didn't coast top 2 in his second season.........

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Happy to keep talking about him though.......

In a thread about him on a football forum?

Errrr.....

Yeah...

Just giving my opinion and asking why you'd want to sack a manager capable of a top 6 finish, and why he went off talking to Swansea whilst in place as our manager, why he bottled the Huddersfield playoffs, why the player culture he left behind is still causing us major issues etc etc 

Yeah

The mere fact that you suggest I should ask Carlos to give me a straight answer on those questions proves you still believe a word he says which is worrying,..

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In a thread about him on a football forum?

Errrr.....

Yeah...

Just giving my opinion and asking why you'd want to sack a manager capable of a top 6 finish, and why he went off talking to Swansea whilst in place as our manager, why he bottled the Huddersfield playoffs, why the player culture he left behind is still causing us major issues etc etc 

Yeah

The mere fact that you suggest I should ask Carlos to give me a straight answer on those questions proves you still believe a word he says which is worrying,..

Don't know why you don't just leave it alone if your opinion of him is so low. I've seen from your posts that you admire Ron Atkinson, I wonder if you beleive everything he said......

I've answered that question and yet you keep asking it, even talking about the main reason for it yourself in the same sentence.

I notice yet again you leave a bit of my post out when quoiting it as you refuse to answer that question yourself.

Like a politician at best and an immature child, for that reason I am no longer going to debate this subject with you. 😉

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What I'm saying though is if Monk is capable of a top 6 finish you surely wouldn't sack him and go looking for someone else...

It wouldn't make sense

If the manager is capable of a top 6 finish but is struggling that would mean the environment (lack of coaches - so you'd get coaches, or bad players in the dressing room in which case you'd get rid etc) was wrong and not the manager

Unfortunately we can't sack the chairman...

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I wanted CC out, but it's difficult not to like him

Despite my views on his ability and legacy at SWFC, I actually agree

He's a very likeable guy 

You just have to learn to know what to believe him on, or listen to him on.

Once you have achieved that level of awareness you realise he's just a really great salesperson

The most accurate type of person you could compare him to is the man who comes into your place of work and takes the manager on a positivity and awareness day

Gets em all in a room, with a whiteboard and some inanse team exercises where you all have to get a partner, look into each others eyes and name what fruit you think they'd like

That sort of chap

Likeable but charging your company thousands of pounds for a lot of hot air and no real results from it

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a Carlos Carvalhal thread mate

If you don't want to discuss him maybe don't click into, stay in, and discuss in, a Carlos thread?

lol

:bullen:

You love having the last word don't you!

Tell you what, I'll stick around and keep asking the same question until you answer it, you've only swerved it about 4 or 5 times so far in this thread.

Why do you think we should have coasted to a top two finish in 2016-17 when our budget was outside top 6? All the more difficult to achieve given you think the manager was completely inept.