Strangest thing you've seen at a match

4 hours ago, flo said:

That time Vs Leeds 2016 when they scored from a free kick but Forestieri hadn't left the pitch yet. The ref reversed the decision after about a minute. That was strange

Completely forgot about that one. And Steve Evans was having a dump so came out to see the goal had been disallowed! Priceless! 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, New Maple Staple said:

1-1 away at Arsenal with about 17mins to go. End up losing 7-1. Never seen anything like it, nor would hope to again.

That was such a strange one. It had been a pretty dull game, I vaguely recall. Then...collapse. Not unlike the recent first half experiences at Hillsborough - it was suddenly like one of those completely unmatched park level games where a side that roughly knows what it's doing plays idiots.

I recall heading off at 1-6 and some fat cretin in the away end yelling at me and my friend, asking where we were going. Which struck me then and strikes me now as a pretty dumb question

Looking back, our 91-92 side was a strange one. We lost 7-1 at Arsenal not long after a disastrous 1-6 home to Leeds. And yet we came third, were still in outside contention going into penultimate game.

16 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

10 days into lockdown here in Spain. So another topic.

The bloke carrying a pigs head with a united scarf around its neck At Cardiff promotion game.

I once saw Wednesday score a goal at Hillsborough 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough.

The incongruity of it made me chuckle is all.

On reflection, it probably wasn't that compatible with the rest of the thread, so I get your point.

Can I neg my own post? WTF:

• Haha 2

Memories a bit hazy, but it was (I think) Burnley at home, maybe first game of the season?

Kick off was at a time which conveniently allowed for copious amounts of pre-match lubrication.

I seem to remember plenty of people being even more spannered than usual, and some bloke just strolling onto the pitch towards the keeper at the kop end.

On 24/03/2020 at 20:02, TANGLED UP IN BLUE said:

Another one... Coventry keeper Ogrizovic scoring from his own box....unreal

As far as I know, goalkeepers have only scored twice at Hillsborough and I was there for both of them. 

Just as rare, I saw Des Walker (1 goal in 799 professional appearances) score there as well. I think it must have been in the David Hirst testimonial.

19 hours ago, New Maple Staple said:

1-1 away at Arsenal with about 17mins to go. End up losing 7-1. Never seen anything like it, nor would hope to again.

Oh God, I remember that. It was such a dull game and then all of a sudden everything they did resulted in a goal. Never did a scoreline lie about a game as much as that one did. That was one of the few games when we played David Johnson up front, who was completely out of his depth.