Deep rooted culture

I joined Owlstalk 15 plus years ago in order to gain more information about what was happening at my club.  Living at the time on the South Coast and away from it all the rhetoric coming from the Board and the then Chairman DA didn't ring true with me.  Fans came on here and tried to explain what was really happening but too many didn't want to listen until it was nearly too late.

I'm getting a similar feeling now, its too easy to blame Monk.  This goes a lot deeper for me, Doyen Sports, Paiaxo, 10 year season tickets that only help cash flow rather than FFP, Strange management signings, CEO resigning, the lack of transfers out and rumours of interference in team selection, players falling out with multiple managers the list goes on.

It all smacks of something fundamentally rotten within our Club and not just with the first team.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, deano said:

Unfortunately we are in a short sighted position I would expect most to appreciate that. 

The only change we can make at this stage of the season, as we begin to flirt with relegation is to change the management, which has been nothing short of woeful for months. 

Got a better idea, perhaps you think Monk is doing a good job. 

Hate to manage expectations in this way, but we’re not just flirting with relegation. It’s a stone cold certainty as things stand.

There would have to be an immediate response from the players to avoid relegation now and that just won’t happen will it based on current evidence?

In fact, someone will inevitably start a thread to this effect.

Somehow, a group of players who have been getting overpaid, and grown fat on a lack of ambition, and who do not care, bar a handful of proper professionals, who wonder how the hell they found themselves in this position, need to find a grain of integrity and put a shift in to inspire a turnaround.

But on to Coronavirus now, a couple of nations, in order to try and stop a spread of the disease, have suggested cleaning all their money on a regular basis. Found that fascinating.

More interested in Brexit and Coronavirus at the moment, you can learn so much from these subjects

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

your opinion was 'we still have to change the manager' and 'changing the manager is the only realistic option' mine was the opposite of that, and went on to point out that the club may have differing opinions. 

Thanks for the summary. 

26 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Hate to manage expectations in this way, but we’re not just flirting with relegation. It’s a stone cold certainty as things stand.

There would have to be an immediate response from the players to avoid relegation now and that just won’t happen will it based on current evidence?

In fact, someone will inevitably start a thread to this effect.

Somehow, a group of players who have been getting overpaid, and grown fat on a lack of ambition, and who do not care, bar a handful of proper professionals, who wonder how the hell they found themselves in this position, need to find a grain of integrity and put a shift in to inspire a turnaround.

But on to Coronavirus now, a couple of nations, in order to try and stop a spread of the disease, have suggested cleaning all their money on a regular basis. Found that fascinating.

More interested in Brexit and Coronavirus at the moment, you can learn so much from these subjects

I see what you did there.  

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I imagine spec savers rub their hands when you walk in.

Seeing the obvious doesn't appear to be your strongest skill. 

If your looking for guarantee's then you will be disappointed. 

12 hours ago, rickygoo said:

In any business operating like this sure you’d blame the workers to an extent but the manager who can’t motivate his staff and the CEO who has has piloted the club into stormy waters would be out on their ‘arrises too. They would carry the can.

Obviouly we can’t boot DC out but the ultimate responsibility lies utterly and totally with him. 

We cant boot him out but we can make it very clear we dont want him here.

12 hours ago, OwlsAustralia said:

Good luck to the next manager whoever that is? Because let's face it the resumes won't be flying in and why would they with the deep rooted issues. I hope Monk spills some beans when he eventually goes. 

He wont , no managers do, as it's part of their severance agreement 

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

indeed. If it’s more than the players surely he’s on about the owner and Paxo etc. How the hell is that situation going to change anytime soon. Like you’ve said I think unfortunately Monk saying that could cost him his job and then the whole process just starts over again. Monk imo isn’t the problem, he’s stuck between pathetic players and a clueless owner. 

The only thing I can think of is maybe Chansiri advisor  had a 5 year contract to advise him and that's coming to an end in the summer?

Didn't Doyen have a similar contract for a few years to scout players and he didn't renew it?

Monk is the least of our worries, he is the fall guy,  keep changing managers with the same results shows the manager isn't the problem. 

It's all guess work but obviously something is not right at the top, and I hope Chansiri finally sees it and rectifies it. He has invested alot of money into the club and I hope to protect his investment he does the right thing and appoints a CEO to run the club and give them a free run, the manager is allowed to bring his own staff and players in and he appoints a DOF to help Monk and the bridge between the team and board. 

Stop throwing money into a black hole and have a look at what Brentford have done and pains me to say it, the other lot across the city. 

Then he will be successful and get a return. 

28 minutes ago, deano said:

Seeing the obvious doesn't appear to be your strongest skill. 

If your looking for guarantee's then you will be disappointed. 

“Get rid of Monk” he cries.

What will that achieve was the response. 

Ermm...dunno...haven’t got an answer for that....

15 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

As much as I hate to say this;

You only need to look across the city to see what desire, determination and a good culture can bring.

Or, if you prefer, City, or Liverpool.

It's all about attitude, and we have a bad one, for whatever reason.

It's about the character of the manager, which is then reflected in his team.

But even if a manager has the right mentality, like Wilder, Warnock or Megson, he then has to be able to bring in the players he wants.

We're hobbled in both instances.

Which is why we're bobbage and heading for the drop.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

“Get rid of Monk” he cries.

What will that achieve was the response. 

Ermm...dunno...haven’t got an answer for that....

Long-term, you're quite right.

The problems here are far more deep-seated than simply who's sitting in the dugout.

But in the short term it usually does have an impact when the manager is changed.

We can't go down at any price, so if dismissing Monk prevents that then so be it.

Results like yesterday's usually indicate that the players are no longer playing for their manager, and when that happens then there's really only one option.

1 hour ago, ponym110 said:

I see what you did there.  

I was just pointing out I am more fascinated with Brexit and Coronavirus nowadays than our problems. We just go around in circles. 

The only thing really intriguing me at the moment is how long it is taking for the EFL to conclude their case against us. Everyone else’s case with the EFL seems to have taken a shorter period to conclude.

20 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe Chansiri advisor  had a 5 year contract to advise him and that's coming to an end in the summer?

Didn't Doyen have a similar contract for a few years to scout players and he didn't renew it?

Monk is the least of our worries, he is the fall guy,  keep changing managers with the same results shows the manager isn't the problem. 

It's all guess work but obviously something is not right at the top, and I hope Chansiri finally sees it and rectifies it. He has invested alot of money into the club and I hope to protect his investment he does the right thing and appoints a CEO to run the club and give them a free run, the manager is allowed to bring his own staff and players in and he appoints a DOF to help Monk and the bridge between the team and board. 

Stop throwing money into a black hole and have a look at what Brentford have done and pains me to say it, the other lot across the city. 

Then he will be successful and get a return. 

Brentford scour the European market in order to get bargains.

As for the Blades, well what's happening there is a fairy story.

If it were as easy as that, then everybody would be doing it.

They're just fortunate to have the best manager we've seen in this city in my lifetime, and luckier still that because he's British he's not been poached.

We had our chance when Mandy wanted Colin, but unfortunately a sector of our fan base scuppered the deal.

They couldn't see that Colin wanted to use us as a stick to beat McCabe with.

What better way to settle old scores than to promote us into the PL with the Blades languishing in the Third?

Clangers are Us.

41 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Long-term, you're quite right.

The problems here are far more deep-seated than simply who's sitting in the dugout.

But in the short term it usually does have an impact when the manager is changed.

We can't go down at any price, so if dismissing Monk prevents that then so be it.

Results like yesterday's usually indicate that the players are no longer playing for their manager, and when that happens then there's really only one option.

Why can’t go down ? We have before and we survived and came back stronger.

The longer the arbitration remains unresolved, the chances of a points deduction at the start of next season becomes a possibility.  I’d rather take the medicine now and start afresh next season.

Not disagreeing that he seems to have lost the dressing room, but why did they put a shift in on Wednesday night. Doesn’t add up.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

3 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Surely your “people that work there” would know DC can only spend so much time in the UK due to his visa restrictions and that AP is directly employed by the club, if they don’t I’d cast doubt on anything else they’ve told you.

He's directly employed by the club is he? What's his job title?

18 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Culture always starts from the very top.

We all know it - we are an absolute shell of a club when it comes to people and senior managers and directors.

Those in a job are stealing a living and Monk himself has no support, no help, no direction, no coaches, no structure above him whatsoever.

God knows what will change in the summer though.

Bit harsh when we have Thai culture! After all we play the national anthem and mourn the death of the King!