Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

Guest Ferkorf
7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly the attitude that exists everywhere.

Homophobic.

Really?

How so?

Attitude that I'm not bothered what gender they fall in or out of love with?

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly my point.

It’s apparently funny to call people gay.

I also suspect - just my opinion - that it was referring to the fact that our current team isn’t very good...almost as if gay people aren’t very good at football.

And in a thread about what would happen if a player of ours came out...

It’s called humour mate. 
works for me but not everyone I guess!

3 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

I don’t think that’s what was said. But you carry on 

And by the way don’t ever go and watch a comedy show 

What was said then? 

What was the meaning behind it?

Why was there multiple laughing responses given? 

Edited by McRightSide

Couldn't care less about whether any of our players are gay. It's irrelevant.

Even so, the media circus that would be attracted to the club because of it should one of our players be the first to come out would be something I'd rather see the club avoid; would be nice to have a season for once where the only issues are the on-pitch ones.

Edited by cowl

18 minutes ago, GoldenLee said:

There are thousands of Professional Footballers in the U.K. today and unbelievably not one of them is said to be gay (in public anyway). As we know only one professional footballer in the UK has ever come out whilst he was playing (Justin Fashanu) and that was 30 years ago, since then, no one.

So what do you think would happen if you saw on the news tomorrow that a current Sheffield Wednesday player had publicly come out? How would the media react (both local and national), how would the Sheffield Wednesday fans react? How would social media react?

I think a player coming out today would be a blessing and a curse for him. A blessing because the times are changing and more and more people are much more comfortable with accepting who they are and who other people are. But also a curse because with the current trolling and abuse on social media a player who came out would receive online homophobia like you would not believe.

So how would you react and how do you think the other Sheffield Wednesday fans would react if this happened? Would the fans protect him, support him, abuse him, refuse to go to games if he played, or just sit on the fence? What do people think?

I personally think it would depend on the player, I think if it was a popular player who came out he would receive more support than if it was a not so popular player. 

I know this is quite a bold topic but unfortunately homophobia is still rife in football, yes the times are changing but not quickly enough or someone else would have come out by now.

What do people think?

WAWAW

1: what does it matter

2: sexuality is personal and doesn't have any bearing on your work or workplace.

3: identity politics is a force for evil and it would be politicised to the nth degree.

4 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

It’s called humour mate. 
works for me but not everyone I guess!

I know it was humour.

But don’t you understand the humour was homophobic? 

In a thread about what would happen if a player came out as gay.

I don’t even think it made 10 replies before someone made a joke about it...

Imagine what would happen in pubs, grounds, on message boards, on Twitter, in gardens, on balconies etc if someone came out

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly the attitude that exists everywhere.

Homophobic.

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly my point.

It’s apparently funny to call people gay.

I also suspect - just my opinion - that it was referring to the fact that our current team isn’t very good...almost as if gay people aren’t very good at football.

And in a thread about what would happen if a player of ours came out...

Have you been drinking the social justice juice again?

Bring a placard to the next home game if you're that bothered. Oh and a relevant chant.

Hillsborough has been that quiet recently I'm sure everyone will hear your protest.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Statistically 3 out of 25 man squad maybe are gay.

Who cares. 

Well yeah.. but that implies 3 x 92 = 276 gay footballers.. probably more if you include Chelsea’s loan players

but if there’s that many why hasn’t a single one being outed for cash at any point.. doesn’t make sense. Therefore the numbers must be far lower than that

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Bring a placard to the next home game if you're that bothered. Oh and a relevant chant.

Hillsborough has been that quiet recently I'm sure everyone will hear your protest.

Of course...here’s the next person putting the right to choose who and what they joke about above discrimination.

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I know it was humour.

But don’t you understand the humour was homophobic? 

In a thread about what would happen if a player came out as gay.

I don’t even think it made 10 replies before someone made a joke about it...

Imagine what would happen in pubs, grounds, on message boards, on Twitter, in gardens, on balconies etc if someone came out

No it wasn’t homophobic

it was a joke. And a pretty good one.

I watched jimmy Carr on stage last night on Netflix. Hilarious. Suggest you don’t watch it 

• Haha 2

Just now, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I don’t think he has TBH. Over sensitive, maybe.

Stating that “I’d be surprised if any of them were straight” was slightly pejorative, in context.

The analogy being - that the players are rubbish - ergo, they must be gay.

Just my reading of the posts?

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well yeah.. but that implies 3 x 92 = 276 gay footballers.. probably more if you include Chelsea’s loan players

but if there’s that many why hasn’t a single one being outed for cash at any point.. doesn’t make sense. Therefore the numbers must be far lower than that

They don’t want the backlash from the likes of mcrightside