Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

There are thousands of Professional Footballers in the U.K. today and unbelievably not one of them is said to be gay (in public anyway). As we know only one professional footballer in the UK has ever come out whilst he was playing (Justin Fashanu) and that was 30 years ago, since then, no one.

So what do you think would happen if you saw on the news tomorrow that a current Sheffield Wednesday player had publicly come out? How would the media react (both local and national), how would the Sheffield Wednesday fans react? How would social media react?

I think a player coming out today would be a blessing and a curse for him. A blessing because the times are changing and more and more people are much more comfortable with accepting who they are and who other people are. But also a curse because with the current trolling and abuse on social media a player who came out would receive online homophobia like you would not believe.

So how would you react and how do you think the other Sheffield Wednesday fans would react if this happened? Would the fans protect him, support him, abuse him, refuse to go to games if he played, or just sit on the fence? What do people think?

I personally think it would depend on the player, I think if it was a popular player who came out he would receive more support than if it was a not so popular player. 

I know this is quite a bold topic but unfortunately homophobia is still rife in football, yes the times are changing but not quickly enough or someone else would have come out by now.

What do people think?

WAWAW

Guest LondonOwl313

Wouldn’t care less.. I’m sure a few jokes would be made but it’s just a bit of fun.

Also don’t think there are many footballers who are actually gay for a start.. would imagine if they were, rumours would spread around and it would become common knowledge. Imagine if you’d just had gay sex with a footballer.. you could sell that story to the tabloids for thousands. The fact that nobody has means it’s probably less common than you’d think, at least vs the general population. 

That suggests becoming a footballer has a bias towards straight people.. not sure why that would be but it seems likely that the % of gays amongst footballers is lower than elsewhere 

3 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

It’s called humour 

Exactly my point.

It’s apparently funny to call people gay.

I also suspect - just my opinion - that it was referring to the fact that our current team isn’t very good...almost as if gay people aren’t very good at football.

And in a thread about what would happen if a player of ours came out...

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 1