Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

Guest Bulgaria
9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

don’t even think it made 10 replies before someone made a joke about it...

And it made 11 before someone who was waiting to pounce started making a big deal about nothing.

Are you that bored?

I think that the replies on this thread answer your question. It’s 2020 , not 1920 !

It’s simply not an issue... Gareth Thomas came out and then went and played Rugby League ffs !

Women football commentators and match summarisers , now that’s a different story.

• Haha 1

This will sound cynical but it isn't meant to be. I suspect there are first mover advantages to a professional footballer coming out, if they wanted to exploit these, and the marketing opportunities would be pretty massive. They might not want to take advantage, but they could. 

On fan abuse i reckon ten years ago things might have been different but nowadays I wonder how bad it would be. I'm struck by the fact that at my kids' secondary kids now come out in the sixth form or even earlier without eyebrows being raised. That would simply have been impossible when I was at school. I know you do get sporadic racism in crowds but really it is taboo and apart from a deeply nutty (and repellent) fringe no one has any problem with people being chucked out and banned for it. 

7 hours ago, ruusowl said:

The press would be doing the announcing whether the player in question liked it or not. It's a positive because it would encourage others to feel able to do the same. 

Yes, thankfully most people would be absolutely fine with it but a lot of fans would give them hell. This means they feel they have to hide it which as we've established, isn't a good or normal or healthy thing to have to do.

The person you replied to seems to think it’s fine as long as they keep it private...

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

This will sound cynical but it isn't meant to be. I suspect there are first mover advantages to a professional footballer coming out, if they wanted to exploit these, and the marketing opportunities would be pretty massive. They might not want to take advantage, but they could. 

On fan abuse i reckon ten years ago things might have been different but nowadays I wonder how bad it would be. I'm struck by the fact that at my kids' secondary kids now come out in the sixth form or even earlier without eyebrows being raised. That would simply have been impossible when I was at school. I know you do get sporadic racism in crowds but really it is taboo and apart from a deeply nutty (and repellent) fringe no one has any problem with people being chucked out and banned for it. 

I think the casual homophobia from the ‘it wouldn’t bother me brigade’ would be much more concerning than the few outwardly homophobics.

People who would say stuff like:

’Why do they need to come out? It’s a private matter no one needs to know. I don’t need to tell everyone I’m straight’

’Wouldnt surprise me if Reach was gay’

’Would be more surprised if any of our players were straight’

Edited by McRightSide

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

And it made 11 before someone who was waiting to pounce started making a big deal about nothing.

Are you that bored?

Exactly. It’s the do gooders that make it a massive deal while the rest of us couldn’t give a hoot. 

Guest Kameron

Anyone who has played any kind of sport Which has a squad environment will understand why very few sports personalities have come out, it’s the same within the armed forces.  It can be great fun but when on the receiving end you need rhino skin.  Coming out in either of those two environments would take some serious bo ll ocks, one day I’m sure things will improve but it won’t be any time soon.

Edited by Kameron

Anyone who thinks that a footballer coming out wouldn’t face serious abuse at most away grounds should go and watch a few Brighton away games. 

It’s generally ok at the big city clubs, but go to places like Burnley, Stoke or Middlesbrough and it’s like going back 70 years. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, torres said:

Exactly. It’s the do gooders that make it a massive deal while the rest of us couldn’t give a hoot. 

This is a nice summary of the problem.

Those who try and just demonstrate some examples of the negative responses are somehow perceived negatively.

The ones who are ok with it - so ok they feel permitted to already make jokes about it - are supported and cajoled.

And yet people wonder why no footballers want to come out...just look at the reaction I got for daring to call out a few homophobic comments..

Guest Bulgaria
9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This is a nice summary of the problem.

Those who try and just demonstrate some examples of the negative responses are somehow perceived negatively.

The ones who are ok with it - so ok they feel permitted to already make jokes about it - are supported and cajoled.

And yet people wonder why no footballers want to come out...just look at the reaction I got for daring to call out a few homophobic comments..

On the contrary.

Every poster on here couldn't give a throw if a player was gay or not.

There is only one person making it an issue. 

Your main gripe I believe is reference to the Reach comment?

Are you seriously that wound up about stuff that you think that was offensive and homophobic?

The only reason people are calling you out has got nothing to do with your opinion, but because you are being very silly. 

Stop with the virtue signalling. It's not cool anymore. It's sooooo 2015

Edited by Bulgaria

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

So you are saying they should avoid holding the hand of the person they love in public?

No. You said that not me.

They can do what they want. If they feel the need to self validate by making a public announcement regarding their sexuality it says more about their needs than whether anyone else is bothered. Why can't they just quietly get on with it.

Naturally, a public announcement will attract comments both positive and negative from people who would have otherwise not known.

Plus, I have a little more faith than you seem to regarding legal safeguards already in place regarding discrimination.

Just now, Bulgaria said:

On the contrary.

Every poster on here couldn't give a throw if a player was gay or not.

There is only one person making it an issue. 

Your main gripe I believe is reference to the Reach comment?

Are you seriously that wound up about stuff that you think that was offensive and homophobic?

The only reason people are calling you out has got nothing to do with your opinion, but because you are being very silly. 

Stop with the virtue signalling. It's not cool anymore. It's sooooo 2017.

Who said I was offended by it?

I’m simply pointing out homophobic comments as part of my response to the question ‘what would happen if a player came out?’

The fact that people seem to equate joking about something - like Reach being gay, our entire team being gay or that people don’t need to come out because they can just be gay privately - is the same as acceptance is actually somewhere between hilarious and sad

Just now, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

No. You said that not me.

They can do what they want. If they feel the need to self validate by making a public announcement regarding their sexuality it says more about their needs than whether anyone else is bothered. Why can't they just quietly get on with it.

Naturally, a public announcement will attract comments both positive and negative from people who would have otherwise not known.

Plus, I have a little more faith than you seem to regarding legal safeguards already in place regarding discrimination.

You literally said ‘why can’t they just quietly get on with it’

Do you think a footballer walking down the street holding hands with a man, kissing another man and having sex with another man would be allowed to just ‘quietly get on with it’?

14 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Wouldnt bat an eyelid.

Be more surprised if any of them were straight

13 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Firstly I'll address that bit you have just made up because you are clearly batsh1t crazy.

I never said the word gay or that gay footballers are worse footballers etc

Clearly an under lying mental health issue or you are upset thinking I made a joke about your kind?

I never made a joke either.

Its 2020 not 1990 its ok to be gay hence I'd be surprised if any of them were straight and hadn't dabbled in a bit of male shenanigans with the money, glitz and glam.

But whilst I am at it, our players aren't very good at football no matter what their sexual orientation.

If they are all straight maybe we need some gay fellas if they are anything like my gay friends they would certainly spark a bit of life into the dressing room

13 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

You already have. Or reading did

Cant remember.

I’m not homophobic, racist or sexist but I reserve the right to laugh at a joke at anyone’s expense if I find it funny. 

13 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Hiding it for what purpose?

By not walking into the office and proclaiming I'm straight doesn't mean I'm hiding it. It's no one else's business.

Surely that info is only for people you are close to, love or know very well.

13 hours ago, dani_armo said:

Couldn't care less tbh 

If it was Reach my reaction would be far from suprised

12 hours ago, daleblue said:

As long as they dont start dogging on the pitch, not bothered.

12 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

All the more reason not to publicise something that should be private for people you care about and trust.

7 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Theres no queer players at hillsboro,there scared stiff of balls our lot

39 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Let’s hope so, we have plenty of holes at the back that need plugging.

So...to answer the question of what would a reaction be if a SWFC player came out...

But yet, I’m the problem.

Edited by McRightSide

Just now, McRightSide said:

You literally said ‘why can’t they just quietly get on with it’

Do you think a footballer walking down the street holding hands with a man, kissing another man and having sex with another man would be allowed to just ‘quietly get on with it’?

If they are doing that in the street then they'll get themselves arrested.WTF:

Most people get on with their personal relationships quietly with decorum. You are just fabricating scenarios to suit your own agenda.

Plus. Do you honestly think most people recognise footballers walking down the street. 

It's a big yawn from me .

Just now, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

If they are doing that in the street then they'll get themselves arrested.WTF:

Most people get on with their personal relationships quietly with decorum. You are just fabricating scenarios to suit your own agenda.

Plus. Do you honestly think most people recognise footballers walking down the street. 

It's a big yawn from me .

I think you need to learn how punctuation works.

Do you not hold hands or kiss or hug your partner in public?

Why can’t gay people do any of those ‘fabricated scenarios’?

Seems like it would make you uncomfortable and they should do it in the privacy of their own home so as not to offend you.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

So...to answer the question of what would a reaction be if a SWFC player came out...

But yet, I’m the problem.

You've been up all night haven't you.

A lot of tongue in cheek comments there, many of which people of any sexual orientation would laugh along with.