Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

Hopefully one day there will be a time where a footballer can just get on with his life without anyone even mentioning their sexuality, they will be in a relationship without being front page news because the person they want to be with is of the same sex.

Sadly in the current times a footballer coming out as gay would be hounded constantly by the press looking to get pictures of the couple and their lives would never be the same again.

Every tabloid story about the player would mention the player is gay and sadly the many neandathols who still exist in this world would constantly abuse the player.

Its not surprising a footballer hasn't come out yet but we need to get to a point where no one has to come out and announce they are straight or gay as it has no bearing or relevance on anything other than that persons happiness in their own life and shouldn't be anyone else's business and we are a long long way from that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldenLee said:

There are thousands of Professional Footballers in the U.K. today and unbelievably not one of them is said to be gay (in public anyway). As we know only one professional footballer in the UK has ever come out whilst he was playing (Justin Fashanu) and that was 30 years ago, since then, no one.

So what do you think would happen if you saw on the news tomorrow that a current Sheffield Wednesday player had publicly come out? How would the media react (both local and national), how would the Sheffield Wednesday fans react? How would social media react?

I think a player coming out today would be a blessing and a curse for him. A blessing because the times are changing and more and more people are much more comfortable with accepting who they are and who other people are. But also a curse because with the current trolling and abuse on social media a player who came out would receive online homophobia like you would not believe.

So how would you react and how do you think the other Sheffield Wednesday fans would react if this happened? Would the fans protect him, support him, abuse him, refuse to go to games if he played, or just sit on the fence? What do people think?

I personally think it would depend on the player, I think if it was a popular player who came out he would receive more support than if it was a not so popular player. 

I know this is quite a bold topic but unfortunately homophobia is still rife in football, yes the times are changing but not quickly enough or someone else would have come out by now.

What do people think?

WAWAW

Wouldn’t give a poo, question says more about you I think 

14 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Hiding it for what purpose?

By not walking into the office and proclaiming I'm straight doesn't mean I'm hiding it. It's no one else's business.

Surely that info is only for people you are close to, love or know very well.

Hiding it for the purpose of avoiding homophobic abuse from supporters I'd imagine.

Carl shut is God just said the rest for me.

Edited by ruusowl

Guest Maxine
1 hour ago, GoldenLee said:

There are thousands of Professional Footballers in the U.K. today and unbelievably not one of them is said to be gay (in public anyway). As we know only one professional footballer in the UK has ever come out whilst he was playing (Justin Fashanu) and that was 30 years ago, since then, no one.

So what do you think would happen if you saw on the news tomorrow that a current Sheffield Wednesday player had publicly come out? How would the media react (both local and national), how would the Sheffield Wednesday fans react? How would social media react?

I think a player coming out today would be a blessing and a curse for him. A blessing because the times are changing and more and more people are much more comfortable with accepting who they are and who other people are. But also a curse because with the current trolling and abuse on social media a player who came out would receive online homophobia like you would not believe.

So how would you react and how do you think the other Sheffield Wednesday fans would react if this happened? Would the fans protect him, support him, abuse him, refuse to go to games if he played, or just sit on the fence? What do people think?

I personally think it would depend on the player, I think if it was a popular player who came out he would receive more support than if it was a not so popular player. 

I know this is quite a bold topic but unfortunately homophobia is still rife in football, yes the times are changing but not quickly enough or someone else would have come out by now.

What do people think?

WAWAW

Couldn't care less it's got nothing to do with us. 

14 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

They are concerned with an individual’s sexuality. Pretty obvious.

Read it again, I don't get that impression at all.

Op isn't asking if you yourself would have a problem with a gay wednesday player

Edited by ruusowl

Calling people 'gay' was something we did at school back in the 60's. It was an easy insult and wasn't even meant to suggest they really were. Just to wind them up.

That was then, My nephew is now 34, when he was at school they did exactly the same thing as we did. That was the 90's I suppose.

Schoolkids probably still do the same today. 

Schoolkids grow up. Personally I don't care what people get up to in their private lives. If both parties are up for it then go for it.

I don't understand this fluid gender thing that is going on but I'm an old git so I don't think I;'m supposed to. Let them get on with it.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

To tell you the truth I hope no Footballer or Wednesday player comes out.

Not that I think they is anything wrong with homosexuality but I would find the amount of virtue signallers falling over themselves to show him support nauseating.

totally agree 

It's a very sensitive subject I for one am not homophobic before anyone starts. I have an openly gay uncle who I'm very proud of I say some right things to him he says some vulgar things to me too we have so much of a laugh its untrue. Personally he says to me if he gets hurt buy gay comments then its abit hypocritical he can laugh at straight jokes. So why not other way round hes proud of who he is and isn't embarrassed about it and it annoys him that as soon as someone reacts to a slight joke in the wrong way he wants to slap them tell them to get a grip. Be proud of who your are end of. If your offended by the jokes then surely your embarrassed who you are. 

He sees a joke a harmless joke as a simple way of a straight man accepting it.

Now hateful jobs like your vile disgusting etc blah blah he disagrees with that hurts but c'mon a joke is a joke end of. Either laugh or dont. Dont call someone homophobic for having a joke otherwise be hypocritical and never laugh at another joke

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

It's a very sensitive subject I for one am not homophobic before anyone starts. I have an openly gay uncle who I'm very proud of I say some right things to him he says some vulgar things to me too we have so much of a laugh its untrue. Personally he says to me if he gets hurt buy gay comments then its abit hypocritical he can laugh at straight jokes. So why not other way round hes proud of who he is and isn't embarrassed about it and it annoys him that as soon as someone reacts to a slight joke in the wrong way he wants to slap them tell them to get a grip. Be proud of who your are end of. If your offended by the jokes then surely your embarrassed who you are. 

He sees a joke a harmless joke as a simple way of a straight man accepting it.

Now hateful jobs like your vile disgusting etc blah blah he disagrees with that hurts but c'mon a joke is a joke end of. Either laugh or dont. Dont call someone homophobic for having a joke otherwise be hypocritical and never laugh at another joke

Don't talk sense mate I'm enjoying the hissy fits.

• Haha 2