Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

quite a few sportsmen and women have come out as gay and doesn't seem to been a problem for them on the acceptance front but they don't play in a sport which attracts  so many (for the want of a better word) loonies   …….footballers i'm sure wouldn't have a problem from the majority of fans but the small  minority would give them hell and that's what probably holds them back and who can  blame them for that . 

45 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Hiding it for the purpose of avoiding homophobic abuse from supporters I'd imagine.

Carl shut is God just said the rest for me.

All the more reason not to publicise something that should be private for people you care about and trust.

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

All the more reason not to publicise something that should be private for people you care about and trust.

That's not the point. The point is that they can't live their life the way they normally would for fear of it being exposed.

Would be very proud if they came out. It's there choice and that's how it should be. It is private but it shouldn't be something anyone has to hide. So knowing they are and are with a guy or coming out publicly, either way they should have all our support which ever team they play for playing for us or against. Football needs to move in to the 21st century. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Don't talk sense mate I'm enjoying the hissy fits.

He also adds it's more homophobic to make a big deal about it and a sing and dance about the fact you must accept the person being gay than it is just treating them as a normal person. We are all human just treat the same. Also a very good friend if mine hates gay pride because of this same reason hes gay get over it just treat me normal his exact words. Again I have some banter with him.  

8 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

He also adds it's more homophobic to make a big deal about it and a sing and dance about the fact you must accept the person being gay than it is just treating them as a normal person. We are all human just treat the same. Also a very good friend if mine hates gay pride because of this same reason hes gay get over it just treat me normal his exact words. Again I have some banter with him.  

I've often thought along the same lines myself. Saying it's normal, then making a big deal about it is a little contradictory imo. Live and let live I say but I don't see any need for festivals or parties for any gender/race/sexuality. It makes it feel like it's not normal but should be accepted anyway, which clearly isn't the case.

Edited by archieswfc

Just now, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Exposed how and by who?

Exposed by doing everyday things they'd like to be doing. The kind of things that you like to do with your significant other, shopping? eating out? cinema? Just being in public together?

25 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Exposed by doing everyday things they'd like to be doing. The kind of things that you like to do with your significant other, shopping? eating out? cinema? Just being in public together?

Most people would just go, oh ok. I did suspect. Carry on.

It hardly needs a public announcement.

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, GoldenLee said:

There are thousands of Professional Footballers in the U.K. today and unbelievably not one of them is said to be gay (in public anyway). As we know only one professional footballer in the UK has ever come out whilst he was playing (Justin Fashanu) and that was 30 years ago, since then, no one.

So what do you think would happen if you saw on the news tomorrow that a current Sheffield Wednesday player had publicly come out? How would the media react (both local and national), how would the Sheffield Wednesday fans react? How would social media react?

I think a player coming out today would be a blessing and a curse for him. A blessing because the times are changing and more and more people are much more comfortable with accepting who they are and who other people are. But also a curse because with the current trolling and abuse on social media a player who came out would receive online homophobia like you would not believe.

So how would you react and how do you think the other Sheffield Wednesday fans would react if this happened? Would the fans protect him, support him, abuse him, refuse to go to games if he played, or just sit on the fence? What do people think?

I personally think it would depend on the player, I think if it was a popular player who came out he would receive more support than if it was a not so popular player. 

I know this is quite a bold topic but unfortunately homophobia is still rife in football, yes the times are changing but not quickly enough or someone else would have come out by now.

What do people think?

WAWAW

It's not a serious question at all, unless you've raised it for your own benefit. The question is totally irrelevant!

3 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

Statistically 3 out of 25 man squad maybe are gay.

Who cares. 

Office for national statistics says 5% non heterosexual so more like 1 in a 25 man squad.

As to the OP wouldn't bother me one bit if one of our players came out.

It's sad if anyone feels they can't do that.

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Most people would just go, oh ok. I did suspect. Carry on.

It hardly needs a public announcement.

The press would be doing the announcing whether the player in question liked it or not. It's a positive because it would encourage others to feel able to do the same. 

Yes, thankfully most people would be absolutely fine with it but a lot of fans would give them hell. This means they feel they have to hide it which as we've established, isn't a good or normal or healthy thing to have to do.