Arbitration

Guest Grandad

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, prowl said:

None of us know. Rich people think differently about money to the rest of us. I can't imagine the type of wealth some people have. The only time we will know the limit on how much DC is prepared to spend will be when he sells us.

Well I’ve got no idea how much he has got but googling says £400-500m.. if that was me, £100m would be about my limit I think. £200m is half the money and it’s just a waste

Thing is, when you’re upgrading the squad it should be a process. When he came he we badly needed investment in attacking players and he bought FF and Hooper for £3m each when they were 25 and 27 years old. These kind of upgrades should increase the value of the squad.. and then if we’d been astute we could have sold some and reinvested so that once the initial investment is made its more self sustaining. Instead we’ve allowed the squad to become pretty much worthless again.. in the summer we could really do with signing another prime age FF and Hooper again.. will cost a fortune in this market and doubt we’ll be able to do that so it’s hard to see how we’ll get a better chance of going up than the 2015-17 period

14 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Recent recruitment has been far more prudent, no problem with that, just a shame that it’s been forced on us to a degree by FFP restrictions.  As things stand he has to keep put his (or his family’s) money in to keep us afloat.  His willingness to continue doing that is something of a concern for me - I acknowledge that others don’t share that concern, so I guess time will tell.

Again, the transfer policy in the summer, may, just may have been a planned thing not a forced one as you allude to. 

His willingness to keep using his wealth for swfc is a concern to you, don't understand that thinking, but as you say, we'll see. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

He's got talent but as you say it will take him time to adjust to our type of football. We also need to find out how best to use him. He looks like a potentially good second striker, he's wasted out wide. Murphy is better.

The only clubs he’s played more than 10 games for are FC Dordrecht, Novara, Spezia and Ascoli.

They’re not exactly giants of European football are they? And he’s gone straight into our first team

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well I’ve got no idea how much he has got but googling says £400-500m.. if that was me, £100m would be about my limit I think. £200m is half the money and it’s just a waste

Thing is, when you’re upgrading the squad it should be a process. When he came he we badly needed investment in attacking players and he bought FF and Hooper for £3m each when they were 25 and 27 years old. These kind of upgrades should increase the value of the squad.. and then if we’d been astute we could have sold some and reinvested so that once the initial investment is made its more self sustaining. Instead we’ve allowed the squad to become pretty much worthless again.. in the summer we could really do with signing another prime age FF and Hooper again.. will cost a fortune in this market and doubt we’ll be able to do that so it’s hard to see how we’ll get a better chance of going up than the 2015-17 period

Is his net worth £400m- £500m before or after he invested the £100mm? Assume he is still earning and adding to the £400-£500m annually?  I would also assume that much of the money invested has been included as a loan, so theoretically at least, he has not spent it or lost it? Some accountant on here will know better.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Just now, pat blondeau said:

The only clubs he’s played more than 10 games for are FC Dordrecht, Novara, Spezia and Ascoli.

They’re not exactly giants of European football are they? And he’s gone straight into our first team

Yet many say uncover a rare gem from abroad or lower leagues rather than spend on aging experienced championship journey men.  Many said play Hirst in the first team.  Can you have it both ways? Damned if he does and damned if he dunt. Don't see Da Cruz as anything to beat DC or the Club with, it will come off or it wont.

28 minutes ago, prowl said:

None of us know. Rich people think differently about money to the rest of us. I can't imagine the type of wealth some people have. The only time we will know the limit on how much DC is prepared to spend will be when he sells us.

he may have already reached that point, and be looking to stabilise matters to make the club look more appealing, who knows but him and those in his confidence?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Yet many say uncover a rare gem from abroad or lower leagues rather than spend on aging experienced championship journey men.  Many said play Hirst in the first team.  Can you have it both ways? Damned if he does and damned if he dunt. Don't see Da Cruz as anything to beat DC or the Club with, it will come off or it wont.

I wasn’t using it to beat DC or the club, just an example of the sort of signings we can expect now.

And having to make 3 desperation loan signings in January isn’t a great reflection on the recruitment prior to the season

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Based on what’s online and google the owners of Fulham, Barnsley, Stoke, West Brom, Bristol City, Preston, Ipswich, Reading and Cardiff are all richer than DC.

And some fans on here seem to think we’re the only championship club impacted by FFP. I’ve even seen a poster say the only reason we didn’t get promoted was FFP

13 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I wasn’t using it to beat DC or the club, just an example of the sort of signings we can expect now.

And having to make 3 desperation loan signings in January isn’t a great reflection on the recruitment prior to the season

But there you go again, 3 desperation loan signings! They fit the bill for what we needed to some degree, considering what was available and under present constraints.

it looks like FFP/P+S has halted DC in his tracks with what he wants and is able to do. DC isn't skint, hes just limited to what he can spend/put into the club.

No doubt once the saga with the stadium has been sorted out, we might see some more investment player wise. Hopefully this time its more sensible than recent years. i wouldn't be adverse to scouring the out of contracts at the end of the year and not paying any fees if possible. 

I also wouldn't take having loads of players out of contract at the end of the year as anything other than just clearing the decks. We know we are haemorrhaging money in regards to high wages for bang average players, so why not let them go and try replace them with players that are hopefully on half the wages we are already paying. Its not like we are in danger of losing a world beater or division leading scorer in the bunch thats set to leave. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Striggy said:

But there you go again, 3 desperation loan signings! They fit the bill for what we needed to some degree, considering what was available and under present constraints.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this. But how many well run clubs make 3 loan signings in January and then throw them all into the first team together?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

If Wickham and Windass are desperation signings I dread to think what you think are decent ones. 

5 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this. But how many well run clubs make 3 loan signings in January and then throw them all into the first team together?

Disagree we will, but at least we have both been civil :biggrin:

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Last few pages have come a long way from the point under discussion which was Arbitration !

lol you do sometimes forget what thread you in when posting reply after reply.  I have also forgotten what I had for breakfast this morning! it must be an age thing.

3 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The fact we currently only have 7 or 8 outfield players contracted to the club for next season doesn’t suggest we’re a club stacked with cash does it

Wouldn’t actually only having 7 or 8 players next season be a better indicator of us being broke?

Edited by Sonny
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

If Wickham and Windass are desperation signings I dread to think what you think are decent ones. 

I’m not saying they’re bad players but have either of them done anything yet? We’ve actually got worse in the three games since they came in.

And by desperation I meant being in a position where we’re throwing 3 players who don’t even belong to us straight into the first 11.

How many loan deals have been a success for us? Kenwyne Jones, Joey O’Brien and Wickham last time he was here are the only ones I can think of.

I can think of plenty more loans that have struggled here (McGeady, McManaman, Buckley, Bothroyd, Afobe, Showunmi, Aranalde, Will Keane, Barkley, Urby, Bates etc)

7 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I’m not saying they’re bad players but have either of them done anything yet? We’ve actually got worse in the three games since they came in.

And by desperation I meant being in a position where we’re throwing 3 players who don’t even belong to us straight into the first 11.

How many loan deals have been a success for us? Kenwyne Jones, Joey O’Brien and Wickham last time he was here are the only ones I can think of.

I can think of plenty more loans that have struggled here (McGeady, McManaman, Buckley, Bothroyd, Afobe, Showunmi, Aranalde, Will Keane, Barkley, Urby, Bates etc)

Context fella. 

4 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Scott Carson, Michael Hector, Alex Lopez, Pudil and Hunt (before we signed them permanently) all were great loan signings.