Hutch

15 hours ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Day before yesterday he was finished and should never start a match, this place!

Some of his Bannan'esque passing yesterday was sublime, great performance and some crucial tackles.

15 hours ago, prowl said:

Reda-esque.

Does Burl esque fit in here,? FFS  lol 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, torres said:

Unfortunately he’s a walking substitution 

I’m beginning to think it’s as much mental as anything else. Seems convinced he’s injured after time anyone touches him 

Real shame as he has a real quality in that position 

The only mental issue here is your own bias.

Go and look at his stats for the last 2 seasons and tell me he’s a ‘walking substitution’

His playing record over the last 2 seasons is very good. My main concern after the hull game was that should he be in the team after a few very poor performances. However, he played well on Friday night and I would play him in CDM in a midfield 3. 

Players get knocks and they get injuries. Given how Hutch plays it’s inevitable he will get his fair share but I reiterate he has been available for selection for the majority of the last 2 seasons. 

41 minutes ago, torres said:

he’s a walking substitution 

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

His playing record over the last 2 seasons is very good. My main concern after the hull game was that should he be in the team after a few very poor performances. However, he played well on Friday night and I would play him in CDM in a midfield 3. 

Players get knocks and they get injuries. Given how Hutch plays it’s inevitable he will get his fair share but I reiterate he has been available for selection for the majority of the last 2 seasons. 

Like I said...your own bias. Which now you refuse to acknowledge so it becomes an agenda.

Bouncing Owl is correct.

On 25/01/2020 at 10:11, torres said:

Unfortunately he’s a walking substitution 

I’m beginning to think it’s as much mental as anything else. Seems convinced he’s injured after time anyone touches him 

Real shame as he has a real quality in that position 

I think you're wrong about him being a walking substitution now because his record of unavailability due to injury over the past few seasons really has improved to the point that he misses very few games now due to injury.

Of course, there's still the odd game missed due to suspensions, but I'm not sure that'll ever change.

Still, the part in bold is an interesting one because I've wondered about this myself; he really does go down a lot still, but whereas in the past it would usually mean he'd have to come off, he's actually usually able to carry on - and furthermore, whereas also in the past there'd be the expectation that he'd miss the next game, he's usually still available. But it's a good thing, surely? He's taking more personal responsibility over his own fitness without putting the team at risk by signalling to get the physio's on quickly. And importantly, he's still combative on the pitch, so whatever possible change there's been in his mental outlook on the pitch, it doesn't seem to have detracted from his commitment.

There's undoubtedly a place still for Hutchinson in this team even if not against all opposition, but I think the more pressing issue for Monk is how to get Bannan further upfield, or rather, how to deal with the problem of Bannan's tendency to sit deep - especially at home. Of course, the addition of Luongo into a midfield 3 ought to off-set some of these problems, but I'm not sure it would be enough at home because it introduces another potential frustration in playing with only one centre forward. And then there's also another problem with Luongo's availability because he's not proving to be particularly reliable in this regard.

Even so, I'd like to see more of the trio of Luongo, Bannan and Hutchinson in the centre. We've only seen them start 2 games together so far.

28 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Hutch delivers a better long range pass than Bannan.

Usually driven and in front of the player, rather than the high arcing ones at the man Bannan delivers at times.

Would have made a good sweeper back in the days when they were used

No he doesnt

he delivered one.

1 hour ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Laughable.

It's not though. Often when Bannan plays a long raking crossfield ball he floats it too much so there's no pace ont ball and gets intercepted by full back. Sammy drives it so its actually gets there. Bannan's quality when it comes to passing the ball is when he gets into those little pockets of space in the final third and can play those shorter range defence splitters, which he does fantastically well. E.g. Vs Leeds. 

15 hours ago, Stokey said:

It's not though. Often when Bannan plays a long raking crossfield ball he floats it too much so there's no pace ont ball and gets intercepted by full back.

You mean like the pass last night that split them open for Fox to cross for our goal?

• Haha 1