Hutch

Hutchinson gives a poo and cares about this club and has passion. Yes he can be too deep but even in games when he is he makes more attempts to get forward than Bannan does. 

We miss him EVERY time he doesn’t play. People slag him off undeservedly and it’s not on he’s class and what we need.

9 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

New contract with the remit that he's now a defender for us

He's class at the back .. surprised we haven't utilised him there more often

CC said this at the start of 16/17, but didn't follow it through, partly down to Hutch's poor injury record.

I just can't see us getting half a season out of him, so I wouldn't offer any contract; not even pay as you play because he'd still end up training with the first team and we need to move on from the class of 2015.

18 minutes ago, Animis said:

CC said this at the start of 16/17, but didn't follow it through, partly down to Hutch's poor injury record.

I just can't see us getting half a season out of him, so I wouldn't offer any contract; not even pay as you play because he'd still end up training with the first team and we need to move on from the class of 2015.

Hutch seems to get injured less and booked less when playing at centre back.  He reads the game well and has the ability to play out from the back.

Best centre half at the club by a distance for me and can't understand why we don't play him there more often

Bannan is a wonderful playmaker with great vision and passing ability

Cant believe people are disputing that fact, instead of realizing that we ask him to basically do everything to create our offensive opportunities:

- Get quality aerial balls into the forwards

- Get quality balls to the wingers in space 

- Protect the ball in the middle of the park

- Set the tempo for the team

- Play defensive splitting passes

- Defuse the opposites with possession 

- Drive us forward with the ball

- Create chances with quick interplay round the box

- Start Counter attacks with long passes

We look to him for all of these things.

Does he lack trust in his teammates? Without doubt

Does that mean he tries to do too much by himself 

Without doubt

But look at Tuesday. We took some of that away from him and pushed him further forward...net result, he was anonymous. The only moment of quality we had in the entire game was when he got on the ball in a deeper position and set Fox away.

When we went behind the lack of trust came in and he tried to do everything himself and it was abysmal. Lost the ball countless times...but would you have trusted Pelupessy, Odubajo, Lee or Rhodes to create with the ball? Or would you think ‘I’m the freaking best chance we have of actually creating something meaningful?’

Yes is he part of the problem? Yes. He needs to trust his teammates.

Can I empathize on why he doesn’t? Yes

Do I think we should continue to believe in him and retain him? 100% yes. Imagine what he could do if he had players he could actually trust around him.

If he refuses to trust them...then it’s a different matter.

*schizophrenic conversation with self ends*

Bannan is better in a 3 man midfield without doubt.

Should he be in the team. Yes without doubt.

Then the question is where we play him in the three. This is where it gets difficult .

If you play Hutch with Bannan and  Luongo or Lee in advance of him then that should work fine.

The best half of football I have seen us play this season was second half at West Brom when we set up like this.

However the main reason it worked was because the whole team played with an intensity, pushed forward and allowed Bannan to play in their half.

If we set up like this and don’t play with intensity, then we end with Bannan only been able to get on the ball by dropping deep and we end up camped in our own half.

Monk ain’t stupid, he totally gets this , which is why he talks about intensity all the time.

He also tried to fix it by playing Bannan the deepest of the 3 to start with. Luongo and Lee play in front of him to make the runs to get us forward and give Bannan space to play.

Worked at Leeds, was a disaster against Blackburn. 
Why? They man marked Bannan even though he was deep and this made him go deeper. He ended up behind the centre halves.

It all went pear shaped anyway but what Monk should have done was having seen their tactics after 10 mins switched Bannan and Luongo around so Bannan could get further up the pitch.

Back to Hutch.

Still think we are better team with a 3 man midfield of Hutch, Bannan and one other but we have to have every player at it or formations become irrelevant.

On 25/01/2020 at 00:56, Ever the pessimist said:

Still think he’d be wiser used at CB. I know we’re reasonably covered there but he’s less likely to get booked / injured there.

Obviously not this season but maybe him as part of a back 3 could be interesting.

Agree. Been saying for a while Hutch at CB with Borner and Iorfa as holding mid , BB and Luongo in attacking mid.