Fulham Goal - not a GK error

Just now, SiJ said:

Nothing about being a Dawson v Westwood merchant. 

It's a completely valid point. 

Cameron Dawson got absolutely crucified on here last season for any mistake he made. 

Huge fan of Westwood, but I don't see why he should be afforded some sort of leniency when he makes a very clear error. 

And same again.

This is about a goal Fulham scored, and how the quality of the ball was extremely high that it blew up our entire backline.

Zero to do with Dawson. 

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

And same again.

This is about a goal Fulham scored, and how the quality of the ball was extremely high that it blew up our entire backline.

Zero to do with Dawson. 

It wasn't that good of a cross. 

A keeper of Westwood's quality will have been disappointed with how he dealt with it, end of story. 

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

And same again.

Zero to do with Dawson. 

The ball in was a decent one. 9 times out of 10 Westwood or any decent championship keeper deals with that no problem. 

Why the obsession trying to defend Westwood? I am thinking you must be his agent. Very weird. 

Edited by sheffwed1

8 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

For gods sake man  that ball ambled into the box like a Mick Jackson moonwalk...

Some on here make it sound like he dealt with a  Van Basten :ph34r:

A Mickey Thomas Wrexham Thunderbolt

Or a Willie Carr Ernie Hunt Special ...

He fannied it FFS!!!

He should have buried it in his gloves ..

Then do what he does best ...

Stroll back to the goal look up to the sky praise the holy father ....

Have a swig of communal wine 

clean his gloves

Tap his studs on the upright to clear the desso sods 

Check with the ref to make sure it's our ball ...

Look up at the camera to make sure its filming him ....

Then scuff it 40 yard into touch ..

Piece of pìss this goalkeeping Malarkey really...

But apart from that..

What's the problem :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

The ball in was a decent one. 9 times out of 10 Westwood or any decent championship keeper deals with that no problem. 

Why the obsession trying to defend Westwood? I am thinking you must be his agent. Very weird. 

Yet another one who can’t see past who was playing. At no point have I debated Westwood’s capability...only talked about this circumstance.

Btw.

Cant have been that good if it would have been dealt with 9/10...

Cos 1/10 not smothered easily by a keeper is shitty

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Yet another one who can’t see past who was playing. At no point have I debated Westwood’s capability...only talked about this circumstance.

Btw.

Cant have been that good if it would have been dealt with 9/10...

Cos 1/10 not smothered easily by a keeper is shitty

As we have been in this thread.. he dealt with it poorly. Let it go. 

Nothing more to add to this thread it is going around in circles :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

But apart from that..

What's the problem :duntmatter:

He could do ..

And we could do ..

Much better .

Drop the Prima Donna act roll the sleeves up 

and crack on ...

And that goes for all the other "Alpha Males" in the pack..

Leave the egos at home and put a shift in, 

That's all is asked ...

The customer is always right......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Another Dawson v Westwood merchant...

What should he have done then?

1.) Catch it. Like I've said, it wasn't a crossed whipped in with pace. It really wasn't the phenomenal cross your making it out to be. It was well placed, but certainly not full of pace and whip.

or 

2.) Do what he does A LOT, which is parry it away to his left hand side. He very often "saves" crosses like that. He had time to direct his parry.

I keep saying, there's no excusing it. And there's no way this thread would exist, if Westwood hadn't made the clanger, but someone else. 

Anyway, that's the last I'm saying on it. We've got differing opinions, and I'm not going to spend my night vilifying one of our own players glaring mistakes. I'd much rather talk about Nuhiu's goal, than Westwood's gaff.

Agree to disagree? :biggrin:

Edited by frastheowl

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

1.) Catch it. Like I've said, it wasn't a crossed whipped in with pace. It really wasn't the phenomenal cross your making it out to be. It was well placed, but certainly not full of pace and whip.

or 

2.) Do what he does A LOT, which is parry it away to his left hand side. He very often "saves" crosses like that. 

I keep saying, there's no excusing it. And there's no way this thread would exist, if Westwood hadn't made the clanger, but someone else. 

Anyway, that's the last I'm saying on it. We've got differing opinions, and I'm not going to spend my night vilifying one of our own players glaring mistakes. I'd much rather talk about Nuhiu's goal, than Westwood's gaff.

Agree to disagree? :biggrin:

I guess we have to :)

because im not talking about pace and whip being the reason he couldn’t catch it.

and as you rightly say - he often deflects away to the left but didn’t - because I don’t see how that doesn’t just end up in the back of the net from Mitrovic

And yes, I would have started this thread if someone else had been in goal and I’d seen comments criticising the keeper but no thread. That’s a fact.

Edited by McRightSide

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Absolutely not.

My hairline is going already. I intend to keep hold of it for as long as possible. 

One would hope Messers Bannan and Fletcher would be able to recommend some help in that department. 

Unless you drop them.

18 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Said it last season. All 3 goalies should have been released or sold and a new first team goalie and reserve signed. None are up to its 

while your always looking for better players i doubt we could sign better with the money we have available for transfers …...If as you say they arnt championship standard then they wouldn't bring in any sort of decent fee from league 1 or 2 clubs.. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

And same again.

Zero to do with Dawson. 

The point is that it was a rookie mistake 

A mistake that a goalkeeper of his calibre simply should not be making 

the point people are making is that other goalkeepers who are less senior and less experienced would get crucified for that type of mistake... that’s how bad the mistake was. They are putting into context just how poor the error was by Westwood., not necessarily slating other keepers 

Westwood will look back at it and be extremely disappointed with himself. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

It wasn't that good of a cross. 

A keeper of Westwood's quality will have been disappointed with how he dealt with it, end of story. 

I've watched this on iFollow this evening. Couldn't get to the game, as the kids have decided they don't like football after the last two seasons... (And there's been twenty years of this in S6)

From what I can see, the replay during the full match replay, Westwood has a clear view of the ball coming in. What happened to keepers catching crosses? No need to parry the ball. Very reminiscent of Chris Woods, he loved to parry the ball. At least Westwood didn't cost £1 million, in 1990s football inflated money...

Dawson would have been Crucified on on the pitch at full time if he'd made that mistake last season, which he didn't. Shocking behaviour from some of our fans in the stadium last year during the games Dawson played. Yes Jos didn't have a clue, Yes he froze out Hutchinson and Westwood. Yes, we'll probably never know why. 

And another thing, whilst I'm on a rant... We're still waiting to hear from Carlos about the poo storm the year before aren't we?

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Question for you, if that exact same cross, with the exact same situation, same defenders and everything, goes in towards the best keeper in the world (whoever you think that is) would it have resulted in a goal?

I appreciate that might sound a stupid question but there is a reason I ask.

44 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

Question for you, if that exact same cross, with the exact same situation, same defenders and everything, goes in towards the best keeper in the world (whoever you think that is) would it have resulted in a goal?

I appreciate that might sound a stupid question but there is a reason I ask.

No idea. 

But if it did, I would applaud the cross not blame the keeper.

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Another one who hasn’t understood the context

What the bit where you blamed Harris.

and then regardless of the quality of the ball the fact that Westwood got both hands on it and pushed it toward the penalty spot when he could have pushed it safe?