Fulham Goal - not a GK error

6 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Westwood is by far the best keeper I have seen in a wednesday shirt and we have been blessed with some good ones.

For people to come on here and rip him to bits for a mistake is ridiculous and show the fickle cry baby part of our fan base who are quick to forget that if it wasn't for westwood theres been many a games we could have been 3 or 4 down easily.

Westwood is levels above most keepers in this league and we are lucky to have him.

I really hope Dawson and Wildsmith are taking note as they too will have a very bright future learning from him.

Not be going long then?

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Just picking a screenshot from a particular moment rarely tells the story. And it doesn't in this case.

First fault 1.) came from Harris who gave the ball away. Hardly to blame for the goal though. He gives it away deep inside Fulham's half. However, when Fulham gain possession, Lee has made a forward run, and is out of midfield. That SHOULDN'T be a problem in a 4-3-3. You should still have a covering two man midfield. 

However, Bannan closes down out wide...again, fair enough. He has to engage with the play. And we should still have our holding midfielder there to sniff out danger.

1732160490_fulhamgoal1.thumb.png.0a55d529f2bfe2ef0cb70dc4a8a10c53.png

Where's Hutchinson? Playing right centre half. Fulham have a 3v0 in midfield following the turnover. That's where our problems start, and we don't really recover.

581009393_fulhamgoal2.thumb.png.7720eaca1db56d922c8e07e8c0f296d8.png

As a result of Hutchinson's deep positioning, Reach, tracking back, gets dragged inside to try and press Cairney. Fair enough, but that leaves the whole left flank free for Byran. 

As play progresses, Hutchinson decides to set out of defence, and Cavaleiro uses that exposed space to make a run into. Odubajo has to track that run, and so the space Byran has continues to exist. 

50136955_fulhamgoal2b.thumb.png.2dafeb341fac30ac280f2e2ef4686136.png

Lee eventually gets across and tries to effect Byran's play, and when the ball comes in from the left hand side, Wednesday have actually got themselves in a decent defensive shape. Hutchinson has Cairney, Iorfa tracks Cavaleiro and Borner is marking Mitrovic tightly. Reid has some potential space in between Borner and Iorfa, but other than that, we're pretty well set. Reach COULD have done more to perhaps gets goalside of Cairney, helping Hutchinson out a little bit also. imageproxy.php?img=&key=4775842bba8fad7bimageproxy.php?img=&key=4775842bba8fad7b

246254537_fulhamgoal3.thumb.png.9cc5602422f61f3179e021cf762c6d92.png

A good ball in the corridor between goalkeeper and defence, causes Hutchinson to get tempted into trying to cut out the ball. Cairney doesn't engage, instead just holding his position. 

Westwood then flaps the ball straight into the middle of the box, directly into the path where Cairney has held his position, and is presented with an easy finish. 

Odubajo and Iorfa could have done nothing more to effect that goal. Hutchinson's ridiculously deep positioning initially caused a real counter opportunity, and his decision to try and cut the ball out, meant Cairney was left unmarked when Westwood's flap came back into the box. 

Ultimately, the fault is Westwood's. If he doesn't inexplicably parry the ball into the danger area, we dealt with a dangerous counter, relatively well, considering the awful shape we'd got ourselves into initially.  

And Westwood should have done what exactly?

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

And here we go again...the he should have thrown his cap on it merchants

Well all these hindsight graphs are pointless...Westwood could have done better...he didn't..If someone had done summat 3 minutes previous/..If me auntie had B****?

I think it was a decent result...I'm not gonna pillory Westwood..its all if onlys

Just now, McRightSide said:

And Westwood should have done what exactly?

Not flap at it, and put it into the most dangerous area of the pitch.

It wasn't a ball whipped in with a lot of pace. It was just placed behind the defence. It's the kind of ball Westwood (and the majority of other keepers) have dealt with, without too much trouble, time and time again. 

I'm sorry, but the ridiculous amount of excuses people try to give Westwood is staggering. Had that happened to Dawson or Wildsmith, they'd have been given the pelters, not only on here afterwards, but in the stadium at the time. And there is no denying that. 

There's no defending it. Especially considering the such high standards he holds. But, top goalkeeper or not, there's no excuse for flapping (not punching, or diverting...flapping) the ball right into the centre of the box. But, the response was what it should be...for all our players...no blaming or scapegoating. Unfortunately, it seems to be that certain players get that treatment, and others sadly, don't. 

I'm gobsmacked, not only a thread has been created absolving Westwood of blame...but also, the extend some people will go to, to put blame on others. 

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

And here we go again...the he should have thrown his cap on it merchants

No, but he shouldn't have parried it into the  middle of the area. 

I mean, that's basic goalkeeping. 

He's far too good to be making such a basic mistake. 

If that was Dawson, then people would be going apesh*t. 

8 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Not flap at it, and put it into the most dangerous area of the pitch.

It wasn't a ball whipped in with a lot of pace. It was just placed behind the defence. It's the kind of ball Westwood (and the majority of other keepers) have dealt with, without too much trouble, time and time again. 

I'm sorry, but the ridiculous amount of excuses people try to give Westwood is staggering. Had that happened to Dawson or Wildsmith, they'd have been given the pelters, not only on here afterwards, but in the stadium at the time. And there is no denying that. 

There's no defending it. Especially considering the such high standards he holds. But, top goalkeeper or not, there's no excuse for flapping (not punching, or diverting...flapping) the ball right into the centre of the box. But, the response was what it should be...for all our players...no blaming or scapegoating. Unfortunately, it seems to be that certain players get that treatment, and others sadly, don't. 

I'm gobsmacked, not only a thread has been created absolving Westwood of blame...but also, the extend some people will go to, to put blame on others. 

Right, so that’s what you didn’t want him to do. 

So what did you want him to do...that was realistic?

Edit. Also as the OP. Who am I trying to put blame on? I’m rather crediting Fulham...

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

No, but he shouldn't have parried it into the  middle of the area. 

I mean, that's basic goalkeeping. 

He's far too good to be making such a basic mistake. 

If that was Dawson, then people would be going apesh*t. 

Another Dawson v Westwood merchant...

What should he have done then?

After watching it again...I mean I could do a graph wiv all the data on...but why...

Did he not control it wiv his chest....bring it down and seeing as Fulham were piling men forward...simply take it round Cairney...hare off straight up the middle, throw a dummy to Mawson and plant it straight into the top corner?

I suppose its all hindsight...but we could have won that!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

After watching it again...I mean I could do a graph wiv all the data on...but why...

Did he not control it wiv his chest....bring it down and seeing as Fulham were piling men forward...simply take it round Cairney...hare off straight up the middle, throw a dummy to Mawson and plant it straight into the top corner?

I suppose its all hindsight...but we could have won that!

Please ensure it goes in the graph thread

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Perhaps as a consequence of the result. But not sure what else he could have done given the context

For gods sake man  that ball ambled into the box like a Mick Jackson moonwalk...

Some on here make it sound like he dealt with a  Van Basten :ph34r:

A Mickey Thomas Wrexham Thunderbolt

Or a Willie Carr Ernie Hunt Special ...

He fannied it FFS!!!

He should have buried it in his gloves ..

Then do what he does best ...

Stroll back to the goal look up to the sky praise the holy father ....

Have a swig of communal wine 

clean his gloves

Tap his studs on the upright to clear the desso sods 

Check with the ref to make sure it's our ball ...

Look up at the camera to make sure its filming him ....

Then scuff it 40 yard into touch ..

Piece of pìss this goalkeeping Malarkey really...

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Right, so that’s what you didn’t want him to do. 

So what did you want him to do...that was realistic?

Edit. Also as the OP. Who am I trying to put blame on? I’m rather crediting Fulham...

I would leave this thread if i was you doing yourself no favours. 

It was mainly Westwoods fault let it go. 

We got a point and we move on

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Another Dawson v Westwood merchant...

What should he have done then?

Nothing about being a Dawson v Westwood merchant. 

It's a completely valid point. 

Cameron Dawson got absolutely crucified on here last season for any mistake he made. 

Huge fan of Westwood, but I don't see why he should be afforded some sort of leniency when he makes a very clear error.