Fulham Goal - not a GK error

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Seen a few comments on this but no thread.

Natural to want to look to apportion blame - it makes us feel there’s a reason for conceding, but sometimes you have to accept the quality you face. 

Heres my view on why it wasn’t a Westwood error...(actually, the error was losing the ball earlier -Harris?- and not getting back in shape quick enough)

I know it looks like Westwood was at fault, but there’s not much he could have done due to the quality of the ball.

There’s a group of players (about 3 I think) who look like they might touch the ball sp he has can’t gamble on them not touching it...that means he reacts late.

He also can’t deflect it because there’s a player right behind him in case he does. 

Because pf the late reaction time he can’t catch it so his only option is to parry it as strongly as he can into a gap (so as not to hit against an onrushing player)

If you just look at Westwood then you’ll say it’s his fault. If you look at the context of the situation you’ll realise it isn’t...it’s just a really good freaking cross

He should have headed it like Nuhiu

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Seen a few comments on this but no thread.

Natural to want to look to apportion blame - it makes us feel there’s a reason for conceding, but sometimes you have to accept the quality you face. 

Heres my view on why it wasn’t a Westwood error...(actually, the error was losing the ball earlier -Harris?- and not getting back in shape quick enough)

I know it looks like Westwood was at fault, but there’s not much he could have done due to the quality of the ball.

There’s a group of players (about 3 I think) who look like they might touch the ball sp he has can’t gamble on them not touching it...that means he reacts late.

He also can’t deflect it because there’s a player right behind him in case he does. 

Because pf the late reaction time he can’t catch it so his only option is to parry it as strongly as he can into a gap (so as not to hit against an onrushing player)

If you just look at Westwood then you’ll say it’s his fault. If you look at the context of the situation you’ll realise it isn’t...it’s just a really good freaking cross

My brain hurts...:duntmatter:

Guest Bulgaria

The tide is turning with Westwood.

His constant screaming, booting balls into touch, his sloth like attempts to take goal kicks ( even when we are losing )and his errors are slowly eroding his hero status. Imo.

Still number one at the club though.

Edited by Bulgaria

7 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

The tide is turning with Westwood.

His constant screaming, booting balls into touch, his sloth like attempts to take goal kicks ( even when we are losing )and his errors are slowly eroding his hero status. Imo.

Still number one at the club though.

Hed have kept Citeh out single handed yesterday ..

:tango:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, San Clemente Owl said:

I thought at the time it wasn’t the best goalkeeping we have seen from Westwood but its harsh to “blame” him for the goal entirely!!!  I am sure he was disappointed, keeper tend to be disappointed at every goal they concede so his reaction was probably the usual one.  Could he have caught or smothered the cross, not from what I saw, it was a good cross, he had to wait on his line in case it was touched by anyone and made a late dive to try to divert it.  It was the fact it went straight to their guy that caused the goal.  Could he have cleared it further, possibly, but no way he could have caught it.

If we are playing the blame game for what was a good move from them to get to the point of the cross, then Harris needs to take some blame for losing the ball in their half in the first place.  This led directly to the move they scored from.

He got both hands to it and palmed it straight back out to the middle of the box. If you can get both palms on the ball then there’s no excuse not to catch it.

If you are going to parry it then parry it to one side that’s literally the first thing any goalkeeper gets taught. 100% at fault. 

15 minutes ago, 83owl said:

He got both hands to it and palmed it straight back out to the middle of the box. If you can get both palms on the ball then there’s no excuse not to catch it.

If you are going to parry it then parry it to one side that’s literally the first thing any goalkeeper gets taught. 100% at fault. 

He could have caught that. If he had, he’d have fumbled it as soon as it hit the ball.

Clearly you have either no goalkeeper training or haven’t had it for a very long time.

20 minutes ago, 83owl said:

This is exactly what I was going to say. Anybody that knows anything about goal-keeping, whether you’ve just played a little bit at a young age or whatever, knows this. The first thing you get taught is to parry the ball away from goal, to the side. If you parry it directly in front of you, you’re likely to push into the path of a striker with pretty much an open goal. Westwood’s made the most basic of errors here. It’s really bad keeping.

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He could have caught that. If he had, he’d have fumbled it as soon as it hit the ball.

Clearly you have either no goalkeeper training or haven’t had it for a very long time.

There’s multiple angles of it now and it clearly shows he should have done better. It was a very good cross and it is always awkward when they can’t commit early as they are unsure wether someone is going to get a touch on it but he clearly gets two full hands on it, any good level keeper should be doing better than that, especially one often touted as the best in the division.

I don’t understand why you think he would fumble it if he caught it? Do goalkeepers always fumble the ball when they hit the ground now?

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

There’s multiple angles of it now and it clearly shows he should have done better. It was a very good cross and it is always awkward when they can’t commit early as they are unsure wether someone is going to get a touch on it but he clearly gets two full hands on it, any good level keeper should be doing better than that, especially one often touted as the best in the division.

I don’t understand why you think he would fumble it if he caught it? Do goalkeepers always fumble the ball when they hit the ground now?

Theres a high risk of doing so when reacting in those circumstances. 

8 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

This is exactly what I was going to say. Anybody that knows anything about goal-keeping, whether you’ve just played a little bit at a young age or whatever, knows this. The first thing you get taught is to parry the ball away from goal, to the side. If you parry it directly in front of you, you’re likely to push into the path of a striker with pretty much an open goal. Westwood’s made the most basic of errors here. It’s really bad keeping.

Proper binary thinking.

Would you have preferred he parried it to the player to the left of right of him?

It's about 4 terrible errors already this season.

And remember two seasons ago? He was costing us goals left right and centre before he got injured. Remember the one where he went wondering out into right back position and was left stranded when a cross came in and he wasn't even in the box.

At the end of that season, many were wanting us to cash in on him and let Dawson and Wildsmith fight over the spot. 

But then when he stayed but Jo's wouldn't play him, we were all up in arms. In fairness to him, when he came back in the team last season he was a big improvement and was rightly praised. But this is two out of the last three seasons now that he has been decidedly shaky.

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Proper binary thinking.

Would you have preferred he parried it to the player to the left of right of him?

You ask that as if parrying the ball to the player in-front didn’t result in a goal.

At the end of the day Westwood’s got 3 options with that cross and re-watching the highlights, although it’s in a good area, there’s not much pace on that ball. Catch it, parry it to the side, parry it in front of you. We know, 100%, that parrying it forward wasn’t the right thing to do. And we know that because Fulham literally scored from him doing so. You’re not telling me that whatever Westwood would have done, would have resulted in a goal. Like he’s powerless once that ball comes in. He made the wrong decision, the proof is in the pudding.

Our new manager will find many replacements for this squad when it permits..

Goalkeeper is one of those positions ....

Westwood is what he is ...

Hes one of those "big fishes" in our team 

He wouldn't get in any Premier first team.

Personally I just don't  rate him..

never have..

He faffs about too much ...

13 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

You ask that as if parrying the ball to the player in-front didn’t result in a goal.

At the end of the day Westwood’s got 3 options with that cross and re-watching the highlights, although it’s in a good area, there’s not much pace on that ball. Catch it, parry it to the side, parry it in front of you. We know, 100%, that parrying it forward wasn’t the right thing to do. And we know that because Fulham literally scored from him doing so. You’re not telling me that whatever Westwood would have done, would have resulted in a goal. Like he’s powerless once that ball comes in. He made the wrong decision, the proof is in the pudding.

I’m going trust trust Westwood’s judgment on goalkeeping over yours.

Obviously the build up could of been different so you could point fingers at outfield players.

but Westwood has limited influence on that, his job is to keep the ball out the net, surely with the momentum of the ball, if he had softer hands he could of helped it on its way for a throw-in or a corner. 

Basic defending, that you teach little kids you play the ball to the sides away from the central danger area, which is the exact opposite of what he did. 

I expect better from him, but he’ll no doubt save us more than he costs us this season, so you take the rough with the smooth. 

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I’m going trust trust Westwood’s judgment on goalkeeping over yours.

Which is an interesting stance to take given that anyone of us on here could have made the judgement and it couldn’t have led to a worse result than Westwood’s did