Fulham Goal - not a GK error

Seen a few comments on this but no thread.

Natural to want to look to apportion blame - it makes us feel there’s a reason for conceding, but sometimes you have to accept the quality you face. 

Heres my view on why it wasn’t a Westwood error...(actually, the error was losing the ball earlier -Harris?- and not getting back in shape quick enough)

I know it looks like Westwood was at fault, but there’s not much he could have done due to the quality of the ball.

There’s a group of players (about 3 I think) who look like they might touch the ball sp he has can’t gamble on them not touching it...that means he reacts late.

He also can’t deflect it because there’s a player right behind him in case he does. 

Because pf the late reaction time he can’t catch it so his only option is to parry it as strongly as he can into a gap (so as not to hit against an onrushing player)

If you just look at Westwood then you’ll say it’s his fault. If you look at the context of the situation you’ll realise it isn’t...it’s just a really good freaking cross

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Seen a few comments on this but no thread.

Natural to want to look to apportion blame - it makes us feel there’s a reason for conceding, but sometimes you have to accept the quality you face. 

Heres my view on why it wasn’t a Westwood error...(actually, the error was losing the ball earlier -Harris?- and not getting back in shape quick enough)

I know it looks like Westwood was at fault, but there’s not much he could have done due to the quality of the ball.

There’s a group of players (about 3 I think) who look like they might touch the ball sp he has can’t gamble on them not touching it...that means he reacts late.

He also can’t deflect it because there’s a player right behind him in case he does. 

Because pf the late reaction time he can’t catch it so his only option is to parry it as strongly as he can into a gap (so as not to hit against an onrushing player)

If you just look at Westwood then you’ll say it’s his fault. If you look at the context of the situation you’ll realise it isn’t...it’s just a really good freaking cross

thought the same myself bud,somebody said Westwood could av put his cap on it,av a look at the defending before you blame the keeper

• Haha 1

It was a good ball but if he can get much of hand on it then he should be dealing with it much better than he did. 

Nowhere near his high standard this season, how many mistakes is it now? On what i've seen of both then Dawson is breathing right down his neck

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

I just did he could have parried away from goal or caught it 

It looks panicked and he ends up pushing it in the middle of goal

My initial reaction was pretty much that , just a really poor clearance 

Will be a situation that requires a brave decision soon with Westwood,  lot of fans will have a meltdown about it but I think Dawson is pushing hard for that No 1 jersey 

Westwood's played 7 matches this season, comical error vs Reading, questionable at best for the Millwall goal and was at clear fault today. 

What's probably even more worrying is how poor his kicking is at the moment, and it was never great to start with. 

Before Carlos got the boot he'd started that season poorly, last year he was great when he came back (Leeds game in particular he was a colossus) however this season he's been making too many errors. It's a weird situation as he is pretty much undroppable as we have two young understudies rather than a seasoned pro pushing him like when Kirkland was here. 

A difficult one, but he needs to improve.

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 1

If Westwood is getting the blame, then shouldn't the midfielders and defenders share that blame for letting the cross come in, in the first place? Also for not clearing/stopping it before it got to Westwood? 

It does look like a flap by Westwood, but that ball shouldn't have go to him.