Fulham Goal - not a GK error

Just now, Ian said:

Which is an interesting stance to take given that anyone of us on here could have made the judgement and it couldn’t have led to a worse result than Westwood’s did

Im still interested to know how it would by physically possible for him to parry sideways in that situation.

Yet another one not considering context.

Bet that Nuhiu goal made you sick too 

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Im still interested to know how it would by physically possible for him to parry sideways in that situation.

Yet another one not considering context.

Bet that Nuhiu goal made you sick too 

You obviously have a very scant grasp of physics if you think totally changing the direction of the ball as he did was easier than just deflecting it slightly

and yes, I was gutted, completely spoilt my weekend, I couldn’t eat my tea and have been up all night chucking up 

Edited by Ian

40 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I’m going trust trust Westwood’s judgment on goalkeeping over yours.

If we can’t debate whether our players should have done better in certain situations because they’re professionals and we’re not, then this forums going to be a bit quiet isn’t it. You can close all the Reach and Nuhiu threads for a start.

And yeah, you’d be right in trusting Westwood’s judgement over mine - but that’s assuming he’s happy with how he handled that cross. I’d think he wouldn’t be.

thought he had got out of bed on the wrong side yesterday. He argued with anyone in earshot, proper rollockings not the type of thing you expect a goalkeeper to do in helping to organise his defence.

As for the goal, I think he saw it late as it came through a ruck of players so I would put it down to that - not time to write him off yet.

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Seen a few comments on this but no thread.

Natural to want to look to apportion blame - it makes us feel there’s a reason for conceding, but sometimes you have to accept the quality you face. 

Heres my view on why it wasn’t a Westwood error...(actually, the error was losing the ball earlier -Harris?- and not getting back in shape quick enough)

I know it looks like Westwood was at fault, but there’s not much he could have done due to the quality of the ball.

There’s a group of players (about 3 I think) who look like they might touch the ball sp he has can’t gamble on them not touching it...that means he reacts late.

He also can’t deflect it because there’s a player right behind him in case he does. 

Because pf the late reaction time he can’t catch it so his only option is to parry it as strongly as he can into a gap (so as not to hit against an onrushing player)

If you just look at Westwood then you’ll say it’s his fault. If you look at the context of the situation you’ll realise it isn’t...it’s just a really good freaking cross

It was bad goalkeeping - if everytime a goalkeeper made an error you just went backwards to the last mistake beforehand and blames them a keeper would never make an error.

pushing a ball straight out to the penalty spot instead of a)holding it or b)pushing it away to safety is bad goalkeeping. 

Just now, ka58 said:

It was bad goalkeeping - if everytime a goalkeeper made an error you just went backwards to the last mistake beforehand and blames them a keeper would never make an error.

pushing a ball straight out to the penalty spot instead of a)holding it or b)pushing it away to safety is bad goalkeeping. 

Another one who hasn’t understood the context

11 hours ago, sheffwed1 said:

What a load of nonsense. 

Was awful keeping if Dawson had done the exact same thing everyone would be slagging him off but because it is golden boy Westwood....

He aint a patch on what he was 2 or 3 seasons ago. 

Dawson is irrelevant but Westwood screwed up don’t understand why you feel the need to slag Westwood off in general 

He made a poor save and cost us a goal but he’s still well in credit for the amount of times he saved goals THIS season 

29 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Another one who hasn’t understood the context

I’ve understood the context but don’t agree with your reading of it 

if, as he should, he had parried it wide and it had dropped to a Fulham player he’s less guilty of an error than pushing it tamely to the centre of the goal as he did .

Having watched the highlights there was chance to push it wide and I still think he could have held it 

you don’t agree so I’ll leave it there i’m not attacking Westwood ,our best keeper , he made a mistake imo just as other players make mistakes sometimes that cost us 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Guest Bulgaria
6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Maybe the sun was in his eyes but just seen the replay and think he should have caught it.

I bet he gave the sun a right bolllocking.

8 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Dawson is irrelevant but Westwood screwed up don’t understand why you feel the need to slag Westwood off in general 

He made a poor save and cost us a goal but he’s still well in credit for the amount of times he saved goals THIS season 

What saves has he made this season that any other keeper wouldn’t have? A few years ago he was outstanding, single handedly kept us in games and won us points when we didn’t deserve any. I can’t remember the last time this happened though and the errors are becoming more and more regular. When he came back he obviously had an effect on the organisation of the back line as we improved in defence but with Monk being an ex CB and Borner in there now organisation and communication shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

Reading, Millwall, Fulham 3 errors in 7 games, luckily we got away with it at Reading but it’s not good enough at the moment. He needs to improve.

If you get there too early like we do, watch KW in warm up. He never catches shots from weaver or Dawson and he’s constantly looking to parry or punch. Don’t know whether he’s being coached differently or not but he needs to go back to basics and catch the ball and allow us to end attacks. He’s not the only one of our better players who have been poor so far this year 

Just because Fulham scored, doesn't mean that Westwood made a mistake.

Ive only seen the goal live and in one brief highlight, and it is a brilliant cross, albeit uncontested. It's into that dangerous area where a slight deflection off a defender at the front post can wrong foot the keeper. Westwood COULD have done better, but much better keepers than Westwood have been found out by similar crosses.

Like any top keeper, Westwood will be analysing the goal. No doubt, he'll let the defenders know what they did wrong, but he'll look at his role too. Without doubt, his action led to the goal, but he may well conclude that the alternatives...

parry to the left: tap in;

parry to the right across goal; scramble, possible tap in;

catch / retain the ball: difficult flight, dip, angle, speed, probable fumble and tap in;

...were more risky. More likely to result in a goal. 

Although the goal started with Harris turning back towards our goal and losing possession at halfway, that, in itself, should not lead to a goal. For me, the key question is how did it go wrong so quickly?

How did the fullback get so much space and time to deliver a dangerous cross?

Why hadn't anyone tracked back with Cairney?

In an ideal world we'd be so good our keepers never had to catch a cross or stop a shot.  

But we're not. 

Crosses are going to come in and I expect a keeper of his quality to deal with that.  And so does he. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Westwood made his initial mistake some time before the cross and flap. He allowed Milosovic or whatever their No.9 was called, to upset him by standing immediately in front of him for Corners etc. an old Frank Charlton trick, and one easily overcome by a GK inadvertently using knees and elbows.