Sam Winnall

I was pleased we signed him at the time, hasn’t gone as well as I expected but he’s never had a proper run in the team and I imagine he’s a player who needs to build his confidence, we have the players to “find him” in the box.

Personally I still haven’t given up hope of him coming good.

4 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Don't post poo after a few ales

lol

Posting things on here when inebriated is something I have nearly done many times... then I’ve read it back in my head(had a word wi mesen) and deleted it!

funny howt thale does that

52 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Are you suggesting that the agent is picking the team or influencing Monk in his selection?

No, otherwise that’s what I’d have said. But if I was Winnall I’d be doing my ends at my agent if I wasn’t getting a game and by proxy our new boss probably knows that. 

Looking at monks record with strikers and improving them and the type of striker he seems to favour,i think Sam will flourish under monks tutorial. 

Carlos wanted to play tippy tappy with inverted wingers which just wasn't suited to Sam's attributes 

Didn't really get much of a chance with jos and was injured then rehabilitation for a long time and even under Bruce I don't think he was back to full fitness. 

Monk likes to play proper wingers, get down the touchline, overlapping fullbacks in support and get old school bread n butter crosses into the middle for a brave agresive target man. 

Sams tough, no nonsense gets stuck in and with that' sort of service I do think hell thrive especially if he can get a couple more, he could even have a real purple patch in front of goal. 

Fingers crossed by playing to Sams, Fletch and Nuhiu's strengths he can turn one of them into our own chis wood. 

Definitely agree with comments saying that Monk's arrival has almost certinaly given Winnall his best chance to make an impact at Wednesday, his playing style lends itself better to Winnall's style of focusing on staying in the penalty area and waiting for service from out wide and through the middle.

That being said, he'll have to do a lot to dislodge Fletcher from the starting XI, Winnall's all-round game doesn't match up so his chances of being a starter are pretty strongly dependent on whether Monk settles on a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, we saw both today.

7 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Tweeted the same at the time. Don’t mind the 4 3 3 away from home, it’s been effective at times. But we have options and to go 4 4 2 esp with Fletch in the form he’s in will cause teams problems. Still not sure about Reach in that central role tho.......

but hey,3 points and a decent display

I did pick up on the post match comments by G. Monk that he said he wanted us to have a style of play, but still be tactically adaptable and allow is to change things up. 

Can't wait to see how he evolves us over the course of the season. 

Did anyone see Bully and Winnall ‘congratulate’ each other on the pitch after the game. Foookinhell. If you recorded it, go back and watch it. Monk hugged everyone, as did Bully. When he got to Winnall, they shook hands in a Mason type way and their facial expressions said it all. Along the lines of ‘f***off you c***’. Made me proper lol.

5 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Did anyone see Bully and Winnall ‘congratulate’ each other on the pitch after the game. Foookinhell. If you recorded it, go back and watch it. Monk hugged everyone, as did Bully. When he got to Winnall, they shook hands in a Mason type way and their facial expressions said it all. Along the lines of ‘f***off you c***’. Made me proper lol.

I saw that too, was a bit of a cold shoulder moment. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Yeah, I noticed that.