Options & Balance

1 hour ago, FinnishOwl said:

Rhodes and Winnall are the two question marks. Both, especially Winnall, have not been given much chances here lately but now it's probably their last one to grab. There should be no reason now why they wouldn't be able to score goals. It's only up to them.

I for one am looking forward to Winnall getting his chance again. Couldn't even get onto the bench - there were so many strikers ahead of him. Give him the chance, I hope he can be a dark horse. He showed ability before we signed him, so why not.

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Thats 26 (with an extra keeper) in the squad. 

Some are suggesting that’s too many but I don’t think so. 25 is the mandatory squad size for the PL, CL etc and we’re going to play 50+ games this season. I predict most players will get some game time. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, looking at the striker options, Forestieri apart, there isn’t too much to threaten the opposition there

58 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

You do realise despite what many say on here we score in almost every game we play? That’s before adding a winger that at this level contributed (goal or assist) with 21 in 47. 

I get that our forwards arn’t the speed merchants that some insist you need to score goals, but football is littered with strikers who score that are not the stereo typical rapid striker. Especially at this level where defenders arn’t as quick either. 

Agree with Phil. Since Jos left goal scoring has not. We’ve scored in almost every match and even after cabbage left in pre season and Saturday we scored at least two a match. 

People under estimste how effective Fletcher is at this level for starters. 

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

You do realise despite what many say on here we score in almost every game we play? That’s before adding a winger that at this level contributed (goal or assist) with 21 in 47. 

I get that our forwards arn’t the speed merchants that some insist you need to score goals, but football is littered with strikers who score that are not the stereo typical rapid striker. Especially at this level where defenders arn’t as quick either. 

I was referring to the strikers, and the threat they pose. As a team, we have goals in us, but whether we have enough, only time will tell

Just now, gurujuan said:

I was referring to the strikers, and the threat they pose. As a team, we have goals in us, but whether we have enough, only time will tell

How many would we need to score to be challenging? We’re averaging 1.9 per game over last ten games. That’s 87 goals, how does that compare with previous seasons top 6 teams? 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe if we supplement our strikers efforts with more goals from out wide, midfield and set pieces..... ending up with 6/7 players who aren't strikers getting half a dozen goals (Bannon, reach, Lee, Murphy etc. E may not be too far away

Guest LondonOwl313

Very happy with the business, have to see how the new players get on as it's always easy to think they're going to be world beaters before they play. Still think we're 3 players short from an ideal squad but that's not bad considering where we were a few months ago and we've managed to bring in some money and release high earners.

Keepers

Westwood

Dawson

Jones

RB

Odubajo

Palmer

LB

NEW

Fox

CB

Lees

Borner

Iorfa

Bates

RW

Murphy

Reach

LW

Harris

Forestieri

CM

Lee

Bannan

Hutchinson

Luongo

NEW creative CM

FW

Fletcher

Rhodes

Nuhui

NEW pacy striker

Out on permanent

Van Aken

Winnall

Pelupessy

Baker

Out on loan

Wildsmith

Penney

Thorniley

That's what I'd be looking to do if we can do further business in January. Left back is clearly the weakest position and we still lack a bit of cover in midfield (particularly if playing 3 CMs) and upfront.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

How many would we need to score to be challenging? We’re averaging 1.9 per game over last ten games. That’s 87 goals, how does that compare with previous seasons top 6 teams? 

Saved you the bother as I know you do t like to research facts/stats... tied second only Norwich scored more. Our current goal threat is more than optimal. 

8372E86E-1C6A-4764-B916-E1959631E918.jpeg

1 minute ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Maybe if we supplement our strikers efforts with more goals from out wide, midfield and set pieces..... ending up with 6/7 players who aren't strikers getting half a dozen goals (Bannon, reach, Lee, Murphy etc. E may not be too far away

Yes, that’s exactly how we could do it

Fletcher is an excellent centre forward, especially at Championship level. With pace around him i think he'll be an even bigger threat. We're going to be able to pull teams around with our pace and movement and create extra space for Fletch in the box plus space for the likes of Lee, Luongo, Bannan making late runs into the box.

In an ideal world we would have signed Hector and a left back and possibly a striker who can play on the shoulder. However, we signed Bates who is very highly thought of, we've got Palmer playing out of his skin and Penney was thought of as being our first choice for the next five years until Jos started dicking about with him, we've also got so much pace in wide areas that a rapid striker may not be needed.

We should all (not you Guru) be delighted with the work that has been done in the transfer market, especially with all the turmoil with Snake and the embargo/accounts going on in the background.

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

We were scoring plenty of goals under Jos up to the end of his first season. You can’t really take a 10 game sample as guide for a full season.

Personally I feel goals will be our main issue this season. Especially if we’re playing 433 as only Fletcher can really play centrally it seems, and he’s not a goalscorer. 

A front 3 of Hooper, Joao and FF would score for fun. But we’ve lost 2 without replacing them and FF (who’s been our most productive attacking player since our PL days and the number 1 reason we managed to reach the playoffs twice), looks like he’ll be a bit part player. 

We’re much weaker in terms of goal threat imo. Even though we’ve added pace and trickery.

10 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Fletcher is an excellent centre forward, especially at Championship level. With pace around him i think he'll be an even bigger threat. We're going to be able to pull teams around with our pace and movement and create extra space for Fletch in the box plus space for the likes of Lee, Luongo, Bannan making late runs into the box.

In an ideal world we would have signed Hector and a left back and possibly a striker who can play on the shoulder. However, we signed Bates who is very highly thought of, we've got Palmer playing out of his skin and Penney was thought of as being our first choice for the next five years until Jos started dicking about with him, we've also got so much pace in wide areas that a rapid striker may not be needed.

We should all (not you Guru) be delighted with the work that has been done in the transfer market, especially with all the turmoil with Snake and the embargo/accounts going on in the background.

Check the Bullen thread, I’m happy with the progress, and the way it’s going.  However, yes you’re probably right, I wouldn’t say I was “delighted” with the window. Now carry on

It’s a bit of a myth that you need a pacy striker. So long as you have pace in other areas to cause the opposition problems it’s fine. Chelsea won the PL playing Diego Costa up front on his own who wasn’t blessed with pace. What they did have was Hazard and Pedro either side. If we can mirror that front three style in the Championship with Harris/Fletcher/Murphy then we will be fine.  

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

We were scoring plenty of goals under Jos up to the end of his first season. You can’t really take a 10 game sample as guide for a full season.

Personally I feel goals will be our main issue this season. Especially if we’re playing 433 as only Fletcher can really play centrally it seems, and he’s not a goalscorer. 

A front 3 of Hooper, Joao and FF would score for fun. But we’ve lost 2 without replacing them and FF (who’s been our most productive attacking player since our PL days and the number 1 reason we managed to reach the playoffs twice), looks like he’ll be a bit part player. 

We’re much weaker in terms of goal threat imo. Even though we’ve added pace and trickery.

Good post and it’s how I see it. We are well balanced now tho. It’s up to Rhodes and Winnall to step up when called on. I’d still have FF in my team on the left of a front 3 in most games. 

4 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I for one am looking forward to Winnall getting his chance again. Couldn't even get onto the bench - there were so many strikers ahead of him. Give him the chance, I hope he can be a dark horse. He showed ability before we signed him, so why not.

Should at least be ahead of Nuhiu.