Options & Balance

We now have more options and balance across the pitch than I can remember, especially in terms of quality / strength in depth. I couldn’t pick a formation let alone a first XI, which should allow us to mix and match, rotate and pick teams to maximise threat to opposition. 

GK: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith, Jones

RB: Moses, Palmer, Iorfa,

LB: Fox, Penney, Moses*, Palmer*

CB: Lees, Borner, Bates, Thornely, Iorfa*, Hutch* 

RW: Reach, Murphy, Fessi* Harris*

LW: Harris, Fessi, Reach*, Murphy* Penney*

CM: Bannan, Lee, Hutch, Luongo, Joey, Reach*

FW: Fletch, Rhodes, Winnal, Nuhiu, Fessi* 

Thats excluding JvA, Baker, Preston etc who can be loaned out now. As can a keeper in January once Wildsmith is back. 

Thats 26 (with an extra keeper) in the squad. 

• Like 5

More importantly to me the type of player we have signed were what we were lacking. Against athletic mobile teams our midfield was nullified and we did not have pace to force them back. The return of lee has also been a bonus we have missed him for effectively 2.5 seasons initial signs look good he is not at his absolute best yet but every indication he will get close to it at least. He has been known to run 14k in a game which we badly missed and now we have Luongo who also puts in a tremendous amount of running and complements Lee style well as he is hard tackling and combative where has Lee fills gaps and nicks ball away from players, they both have vision and can pass the ball really well. it will mean we can run teams in midfield who would normally cause us problems. These teams normally shackle Bannan but if being run else where on pitch they will have to release clamp on Bannan which means he will be able to have freedom to use his talents.. With pace up front we will always have option of out ball so will keep teams pressed back. This allows midfield to operate in their half where our players with excellent passing skills are more able to do damage.

Our price has been shortened by bookmakers in last week to do well in league so perhaps fans are not alone in liking some of acquisitions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

We now have more options and balance across the pitch than I can remember, especially in terms of quality / strength in depth. I couldn’t pick a formation let alone a first XI, which should allow us to mix and match, rotate and pick teams to maximise threat to opposition. 

Thats excluding JvA, Baker, Preston etc who can be loaned out now. As can a keeper in January once Wildsmith is back. 

The quality of the new signings is unknown...

• Like 1

Left back position looks pathetic

I like that we've got two Moses; two Iorfa's, three Reach's and three Fessi's... :ghoulguy:

Seriously though, our squad even without Hector, looks the fittest, strongest and most balanced its been since Wembley. To consider that's even despite the soft embargo and losing Bruce, that's quite a remarkable transformation. If only, we'd have made these types of signings just after Wembley? I think with this squad, with Bullen or a new man, plus a couple more ins and outs in January, we've got a decent shot at a play off spot.

• Haha 1

That side looks all well and good until CF spot.

Said it in other threads, if Fletcher gets injured then I’ve no confidence in the others playing a similar role to him. He’s effective as a target man, not effective as a goal scorer 

Which leads on to us requiring a 20 goal a season goal scorer - Fletcher isn’t that, his injuries will stop him from that anyway but even fully fit he’s not a natural finisher and doesn’t seem to bury the chances in the box. 

Left back is still an issue imo

Obvious weak point is the LB position. However, who would have thought we would have this squad going into the first half of the season? A successful transfer window should give fans a real boost and reasons to be optimistic. No reason why we can't give this league a real go this season.

2 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

That side looks all well and good until CF spot.

Said it in other threads, if Fletcher gets injured then I’ve no confidence in the others playing a similar role to him. He’s effective as a target man, not effective as a goal scorer 

Which leads on to us requiring a 20 goal a season goal scorer - Fletcher isn’t that, his injuries will stop him from that anyway but even fully fit he’s not a natural finisher and doesn’t seem to bury the chances in the box. 

2 wingers, balls into box, Rhodes 20 plus goals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debram said:

2 wingers, balls into box, Rhodes 20 plus goals. 

Winnall scores decent goals before we signed him and was doing ok on loan at Derby until he got injured too. You don’t need to have a pact forward if your wingers are rapid. 

Just now, Philb125 said:

Winnall scores decent goals before we signed him and was doing ok on loan at Derby until he got injured too. You don’t need to have a pact forward if your wingers are rapid. 

Agree, forgot about Winnall. 

Rhodes and Winnall are the two question marks. Both, especially Winnall, have not been given much chances here lately but now it's probably their last one to grab. There should be no reason now why they wouldn't be able to score goals. It's only up to them.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, looking at the striker options, Forestieri apart, there isn’t too much to threaten the opposition there

You do realise despite what many say on here we score in almost every game we play? That’s before adding a winger that at this level contributed (goal or assist) with 21 in 47. 

I get that our forwards arn’t the speed merchants that some insist you need to score goals, but football is littered with strikers who score that are not the stereo typical rapid striker. Especially at this level where defenders arn’t as quick either. 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

You do realise despite what many say on here we score in almost every game we play? That’s before adding a winger that at this level contributed (goal or assist) with 21 in 47. 

I get that our forwards arn’t the speed merchants that some insist you need to score goals, but football is littered with strikers who score that are not the stereo typical rapid striker. Especially at this level where defenders arn’t as quick either. 

Exactly. 

We are going to be playing with one striker and two wingers now anyway and we have just improved on them.

36 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly. 

We are going to be playing with one striker and two wingers now anyway and we have just improved on them.

Agree, strikers don’t need to be rapid as long as there is pace out wide to keep the defence pinned back and prevent them from playing a high line.