Full Squad Review

28 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

2m wouldn't pay his wages letalone his transfer fee.

Thats the point.  

They want him off the books and are willing to let him go for a nominal fee if someone will pay his wages. 

13 minutes ago, Bez said:

Thats the point.  

They want him off the books and are willing to let him go for a nominal fee if someone will pay his wages. 

I think if he was available that cheap someone would have snapped him up already. It's not like he is on 120k a week or something is it.

Edited by pazowl55

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Good read, don't agree with all the points but a good article. Just on the dream lineup part thought id throw mine in.... going on the Op's list of players mine would be:

Dream Line Up:

Westwood

James

Hector

Thorniley

Lazaar

Odubajo

Hutchinson (C)

Lee/Turnbull

Bannan

Austin

Forestieri

Austin and Lazaar are two of the biggest crocks out there.

6 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Not being funny to the OP but i stopped reading after the Dawson comments where it was stated he won't make any mistakes but won't pull off any miracle saves either.

Both statements are wrong imo.

There were quite a few games where he pulled off miracle saves only to be let down by making mistakes.

I know this is a forum about opinions but when someone says tbe opposite of what actually happened then i can't proceed to read the rest. 

Plus the fact we don't know our full squad just yet and things will change upto August and beyond.

I will say this though, we will do just fine this season under SB.

And that Dawson needs to work on his kicking when that is the best part of his game and the only thing he has over Westwood

11 hours ago, Bez said:

Goalkeepers:

Under Contract:

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Rumoured:

Keiren Westwood (Offered Contract)

Potential Targets:

Bartosz Bialkowski (£1.5m - Ipswich)

Quentin Beunardeau (£750k - Aves)

Remi Matthews (£1m - Bolton)

REVIEW:

Dawson showed, in the first half of last season, they he is a decent lower Championship keeper.  He won't make mistakes but won't pull of miracle saves either.  His kicking needs serious work and Wednesday don't want to rely too much on him.  He makes an excellent backup.

Wildsmith is a League One keeper and would do well to head to pastures new at some point.

Wednesday need a number 1 keeper urgently and have offered Westwood a new contract.  If he signs it, he will once again be a top tier starter.

If Westwood heads elsewhere, the Owls could target Bialkowski or Matthews who both shone in relegated teams or look to Portugal with highly rated Beunardeau.

Right Back:

Under Contract:

Dominic Iorfa

Ash Baker

Rumoured:

Liam Palmer (Offered Contract)

Moses Odubajo (Free Agent)

Adam Matthews (Free Agent)

Potential Targets:

Todd Kane (Free Agent)

Reece James (Loan - Chelsea)

REVIEW:

Iorfa looks a decent cheap signing by Bruce and had an immediate impact last season.  He looks like Bambi on ice, but offers height and strength.  Behind him, the team only has Ash Baker who had a hit and miss first season in the first team.

Liam Palmer has been offered a contract to compete with Iorfa and provide left back cover after finishing the season strongly.

There are strong indications that Moses Odubajo has signed with the club after leaving Brentford.  Much injured but talented, he could compete with Iorfa or play on the right wing.

Failing that, Adam Matthews could be a back up option.  

Left Back:

Under Contract:

Morgan Fox

Matt Penney

Rumoured:

Jake Bidwell (Free Agent)

Potential Targets:

Jay Dasilva (Loan - Chelsea)

Achraf Lazaar (Loan - Newcastle)

REVIEW:

Left back is a serious weakness for the team that needs addressing.  Fox hasn't performed well and Matt Penney started well but faded before his injury.

It wouldn't be surprising if Penney was given a chance to win the starting spot this season and Palmer will offer cover if he signs a new contract.

Jake Bidwell has been rumoured - a solid left back for QPR who could offer an upgrade there.

Centre Back:

Under Contract:

Tom Lees

Jordan Thorniley

Joost van Aken

Rumoured:

Michael Hector (Loan - Chelsea)

Julian Borner (Free Agent)

Stuart Findlay (£1m - Kilmarnock)

Jordan Willis (Free Agent)

Chey Dunkley (£1m - Wigan)

Potential Targets:

Tomas Kalas (Loan - Chelsea)

REVIEW:

Wednesday have some work to do at CB if they are to compete next season.  Michael Hector was a bright star but has departed back to Chelsea - his return would be an amazing addition.

It seems all but certain that Julian Borner is set to sign, perhaps an indication that Hector is not coming back.  

Thorniley and van Aken are big question marks - the former players well in spells and the latter was a big disappointment.  How much playing time they get will be interesting.

Wednesday have been linked with several other players at the position but none as good as Hector.  Whether he comes back to Hillsborough will be an indicator of the success of this transfer window.

Wingers:

Under Contract:

Adam Reach

Rumoured:

Kadeem Harris (Free Agent)

Stewart Downing (Free Agent)

Benjamin Kololli (£3m - FC Zurich)

Potential Targets:

Rolando Aarons (Loan - Newcastle)

Jack Harrison (Loan - Man City)

REVIEW:

Finally, Wednesday got some much needed pace on the wing after Bruce brought in Aarons last season.  With only Adam Reach on the books at the position, this is one of the most important positions to address this summer.

The chase for Harris, who left Cardiff, seems to be getting close to a successful outcome and his speed will be valuable.  If he signs, Odubajo may play wide right with Reach on the left, but more options would still be needed.

A return of Aarons wouldn't be the worst option although there are better options such as Kololli if Bruce has cash to spend.  Although Leeds are leading the race for the Kosovan.

Centre Mid:

Under Contract:

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson

Joey Pelupessy

Rumoured:

Kieran Lee (Offered Contract)

David Turnbull (£3m - Motherwell)

Will Vaulks (Free Agent)

Sam Morsy (£3m - Wigan)

Josh Onomah (£3m - Tottenham)

Lee Cattermole (£1.5m - Sunderland)

Potential Targets:

Ovie Ejaria (Loan - Liverpool)

REVIEW:

Barry Bannan will lead from the centre of midfield again and how he goes, as so often, Wednesday will go.  Sadly Pelupessy hasn't worked out, unable to handle the physicality of the Championship so Wednesday will seek out new bodies in midfield to rotate with Hutch.

Lee has been offered a prove it contract upon his long awaited return to the team.  If he is close to his old self, he will be a great signing.

Morsy of Wigan would be a great midfield addition, as good as Hutch, he can be the long term engine of the squad.

Rising star David Turnbull would be an amazing signing but Norwich seem poised to steal him.

Forwards:

Under Contract:

Fernando Forestieri

Steven Fletcher

Lucas Joao

Atdhe Nuhiu

Jordan Rhodes

Sam Winnall

Rumoured:

Chuks Aneke (£1.5m - MK Dons)

Sheraldo Becker (Free Agent)

Charlie Austin (£2m - Southampton)

Potential Targets:

Eddie Nketiah (Loan - Arsenal)

REVIEW:

Striker is surely not a position needing adding to with the glut of options.  It is much more likely that Bruce gets rid of a few faces.  

Fletcher was on form last season and should continue to be the first choice option, even if Jordan Rhodes returns.  

Fernando needs to find his old form next season although he will likely be under a long ban to begin the campaign.

What is done with Winnall and Joao should be interesting as they could both be assets when in form.

Current Lineup:

Dawson

Iorfa

Lees

van Aken

Fox

Reach

Hutchinson

Bannan

Joao

Fletcher

Forestieri

Estimated Final Position - 16th

Predicted Lineup:

Westwood

Odubajo

Lees

Borner

Penney

Harris

Hutchinson

Bannan

Reach

Fletcher

Forestieri

Estimated Final Position - 9th

Dream Lineup:

Westwood

Odubajo

Lees

Hector

Bidwell

Harris

Morsy

Bannan

Turnbull

Reach

Fletcher

Estimated Final Position - 2nd

Good write up apart from the Charlie Austin part. £2m, where on earth has that come from? I thought he’d go for at least quadruple that 

55 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

And that Dawson needs to work on his kicking when that is the best part of his game and the only thing he has over Westwood

Really?  I only saw the kid a few times this season and the one thing that stood out was poor kicking.  It cost us a few goals at the games I saw.

45 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Good write up apart from the Charlie Austin part. £2m, where on earth has that come from? I thought he’d go for at least quadruple that 

From a couple of articles online.  All the figures in the write up were quoted in articles but may be off the mark.

Apparently the club are willing to let Austin go and find first team football for a nominal fee but his wages would be a stumbling block.

Fair summary, which I broadly agree with. Depends on who we manage to sign obviously but I expect us to be in the group of clubs who will be in the 5 - 12 positions with hopes of the play offs without ever putting the run together to cement a place. I do think we have the right manager to give us the best shot though.

Until we see our squad it's impossible to tell what will happen. Whatever the squad I'm pinning my hopes on Steve Bruce and his backroom team (coaches AND medical/fitness). The core of our squad has been the equal of Uniteds over the last 2 seasons yet they have gone up. The difference ?  Injuries (them, virtually none, us, hundreds:mad:) and management getting the players to perform above themselves.    There has certainly been signs of this management team having an effect. Fletcher and Palmer , for instance.

Just having a fully fit and committed team will make a difference.  Our form since Xmas has been excellent, despite having the same players, if we carry that on to the new season we just might have a chance. Most of all, we need to start on fire to build confidence and momentum.

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

My thoughts as well, no other promotion chasing side would have Fletcher spearheading their attack An option from the bench for us, I reckon

When Bruce came in and started playing Fletcher regularly that's when he started scoring more goals and getting involved more in the final third. He basically got him playing ten yards further up the pitch and got a bit of support out wide - amazing what can happen with a few minor tweaks. Fletcher spearheading our attack nearly got us into the playoffs which considering where we were under the previous manager is a minor miracle.

14 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

When Bruce came in and started playing Fletcher regularly that's when he started scoring more goals and getting involved more in the final third. He basically got him playing ten yards further up the pitch and got a bit of support out wide - amazing what can happen with a few minor tweaks. Fletcher spearheading our attack nearly got us into the playoffs which considering where we were under the previous manager is a minor miracle.

I’m not going to argue that Bruce didn’t have a positive effect on our performances, and Fletcher included, but we weren’t exactly fluid going forward. Fletcher battles up top, and gives his all every week, but his game has too many limitations.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not going to argue that Bruce didn’t have a positive effect on our performances, and Fletcher included, but we weren’t exactly fluid going forward. Fletcher battles up top, and gives his all every week, but his game has too many limitations.

I think that Fletcher has a football brain that only Bannan is anywhere near the same level. If we had other smart footballers (Kieran Lee perhaps) plus decent wide players then Fletcher would flourish even more. Players like ForesterI and Joao need to get more consistent too. 

I’d say Fletcher is the least of our worries right now and we’d only improve that position by getting in someone of the likes of Wickham or Austin which is unlikely. Maybe Hugill on loan from West Ham is the next logical choice.

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I think that Fletcher has a football brain that only Bannan is anywhere near the same level. If we had other smart footballers (Kieran Lee perhaps) plus decent wide players then Fletcher would flourish even more. Players like ForesterI and Joao need to get more consistent too. 

I’d say Fletcher is the least of our worries right now and we’d only improve that position by getting in someone of the likes of Wickham or Austin which is unlikely. Maybe Hugill on loan from West Ham is the next logical choice.

For me it’s a major issue. Fletcher isn’t mobile enough to operate as a lone striker, and he certainly doesn’t score enough goals. Whether or not he has a good football brain, I’m not sure, but he’s certainly canny, and has great experience. However, he doesn’t lay the ball off quickly enough for the likes of Forestieri and Joao, neither of whom thrive on knock downs. 

Perhaps, if he were paired with someone like Gayle, we might get away with Fletcher as a starter, but not in the current system